Which Linux OS do you prefer most?

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I use centos 6.5 on my workstation at my lab. On my laptop I used to use xubuntu, because that gave a better battery life and didn't heat my laptop like windows did.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Honestly I only tried Ubuntu and I believe the other was called X-Gnome or something like that, it was supposed to be a Windows 7 clone. Too many distributions :p

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have Ubuntu 12.04 server LTS running a webserver on my network. I have an old box in the corner that I installed Linux Mint 17 MATE edition because it seems to run a little better on this outdated machine than Cinnamon. I also use old versions of Ubuntu (10.04, is nice and lacks Unity) or Knoppix when disinfecting Windows PCs.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Xubuntu (I like Xfce)
Although its since been removed in favor of more space on my main Windows partition.
I do like Unity sometimes, GNOME 3 is quite nice IMO (probably my preferred DE) and I stick to Debian distros as of now.

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Xubuntu (I like Xfce)
Although its since been removed in favor of more space on my main Windows partition.
I do like Unity sometimes, GNOME 3 is quite nice IMO (probably my preferred DE) and I stick to Debian distros as of now.

How do you Unity? I find it unappealing because it is a battery sinkhole and heats up my laptop.

Since I don't have my laptop anymore, i don't follow the news, is the kernel optimized in terms for battery consumption or same old? Last I used was I think 3.14 or something quite modern

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
My last Linux (before I borked the mac mini it was running on) was Sabayon. I liked the rolling release system - except when KDE PIM was broken. If I was to go back to Linux, I would probably pick something a bit more stable (release wise) - maybe Fedora.

With Unity's release, I felt that Canonical was trying too hard to be the MS of the Linux world, and to me that's not what I was after.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ubuntu on the server, although I had to use Oracle Enterprise Linux to get my company to let me deploy a Linux webserver (the Oracle name bought the distro cred). We've since virtualized, so I'm going to setup an Ubuntu Server VM, migrate the websites, and decommission the OEL server when they're not looking. :)

On the desktop, eh... whatever. Ubuntu, Mint, I've even run Slackware when I'm feeling particularly masochistic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes