Hi, my name is...and I have a technology problem

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I've found the more I read and follow the latest tech news, the more I find myself looking at the devices I do have and focusing on their flaws and immediately wanting the 'latest and greatest'.

It's not like I am causing financial duress on my end (I am actually a pretty good saver), but I have noticed a certain addictive pattern on my end of either searching eBay for deals on used phones or tablets, or wanting the newest stuff.

The pattern I have followed several times is: see something I think I need, come up with reasons why I need it, find a bargain (or what I consider a bargain), buy it, immediately feel buyer's remorse, either keep the item or return it / flip it on eBay.

Like I said, not in debt or anything because of this, just wondering if anyone else struggles a bit with it. I have an addictive personality, so I recognize the behavior quickly.

I moved to Verizon this month, which I think will help a bit (less phones that work with it, the 18month Edge plan will ensure I stick with what I have), whereas with the 6 month Jump on T-Mobile I was constantly thinking about what the next device would be.

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I've found the more I read and follow the latest tech news, the more I find myself looking at the devices I do have and focusing on their flaws and immediately wanting the 'latest and greatest'.

It's not like I am causing financial duress on my end (I am actually a pretty good saver), but I have noticed a certain addictive pattern on my end of either searching eBay for deals on used phones or tablets, or wanting the newest stuff.

The pattern I have followed several times is: see something I think I need, come up with reasons why I need it, find a bargain (or what I consider a bargain), buy it, immediately feel buyer's remorse, either keep the item or return it / flip it on eBay.

Like I said, not in debt or anything because of this, just wondering if anyone else struggles a bit with it. I have an addictive personality, so I recognize the behavior quickly.

I moved to Verizon this month, which I think will help a bit (less phones that work with it, the 18month Edge plan will ensure I stick with what I have), whereas with the 6 month Jump on T-Mobile I was constantly thinking about what the next device would be.

I think we all either had, have or will be having some form of addiction to something, in my case it was not gadget-related (chess, up to the point of developing some of my own theories about the game and the mental processes behind the playe of chesse), but the beauty in your case is that you're aware of it - that you have the privilege of knowing - such that you can do something about it before it gives birth to other addiction-related complications.

But upon further reflection (as I was typing the previous paragraph), I think if I had enough financial liquidity (such that my responsibilities are all well-taken cared of and balanced), then a lot of devices would have passed through my hands already, buying the latest this and that or whatever (thank goodness this is not the case!). I used to browse online shops for fountain pens, replica die-cast airplanes, LED flashlights, handheld lasers that can actually burn, drones, books, phones (Windows, of course!), chess boards, pocket watches... but I guess it all died down a bit. Not keeping funds in my PayPal account helped a lot. :cool:

BTW, as for chess, I'm currently playing against 24 different players in three different chess apps, just for the fun of it. All is well under moderation.:angel:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
With me it used to be (until this last year) upgrading my computer. Every few months, I had to make sure the graphics card, processor, motherboard, and everything was the latest greatest top of the line. Water cooling system to keep everything cool while I clocked the CPU to 5.2GHz and above. Always tweaking and adjusting to get the best performance. It was turning into my life.

One day, I just turned off the computer, pulled out a 9 year old Dell laptop that my dad had sent to me. It had a very old, single core 1GHz Celeron processor and a 32GB HDD. A SLOW HDD at that. Ran on XP, and my big, bad desktop was running 8.1 when I shut it down. That was rather unnerving for the first few days.

I used nothing but the Dell laptop for 6 weeks. After that, I decided to sell the desktop system and purchase a quality laptop with the funds, which I did. I bought a "desktop replacement" laptop that has all the power I need, not all the power I want. I no longer have to constantly upgrade.

I have had to swear off reading news and forums at places like Tom's Hardware. Everyone is, "It's not good enough... I need more!" and it gets crazy.

Reading around this place has made me want higher end phones once in a while. Haven't bought one yet. Made a paper cut-out to see how the size of the 640XL would fit in my hand, and after playing with it for a day or so decided it would be too big. Then I got to thinking, "Why was I even doing that?"

Here is something I learned that may help you.
Don't make an impulse purchase. If you REALLY need it, but you are "getting by" right now, then wait 30 days. After 30 days, re-evaluate whether or not you really need it. Did you have any instances during that 30 days where something was really needed and you suffered from not having it? If so, you should consider getting it. If not, you probably only WANTED it, not needed it. Don't get it in that case.

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I have that too. Wanting to upgrade my phone atleast once every year. I can't help it. I have had eight phones in six years even though i didn't need to upgrade. Its just an upgrade itch that you cannot help but scratch it and then it becomes a habit.

With me it used to be (until this last year) upgrading my computer. Every few months, I had to make sure the graphics card, processor, motherboard, and everything was the latest greatest top of the line. Water cooling system to keep everything cool while I clocked the CPU to 5.2GHz and above. Always tweaking and adjusting to get the best performance. It was turning into my life.

One day, I just turned off the computer, pulled out a 9 year old Dell laptop that my dad had sent to me. It had a very old, single core 1GHz Celeron processor and a 32GB HDD. A SLOW HDD at that. Ran on XP, and my big, bad desktop was running 8.1 when I shut it down. That was rather unnerving for the first few days.

I used nothing but the Dell laptop for 6 weeks. After that, I decided to sell the desktop system and purchase a quality laptop with the funds, which I did. I bought a "desktop replacement" laptop that has all the power I need, not all the power I want. I no longer have to constantly upgrade.

I have had to swear off reading news and forums at places like Tom's Hardware. Everyone is, "It's not good enough... I need more!" and it gets crazy.

Reading around this place has made me want higher end phones once in a while. Haven't bought one yet. Made a paper cut-out to see how the size of the 640XL would fit in my hand, and after playing with it for a day or so decided it would be too big. Then I got to thinking, "Why was I even doing that?"

Here is something I learned that may help you.
Don't make an impulse purchase. If you REALLY need it, but you are "getting by" right now, then wait 30 days. After 30 days, re-evaluate whether or not you really need it. Did you have any instances during that 30 days where something was really needed and you suffered from not having it? If so, you should consider getting it. If not, you probably only WANTED it, not needed it. Don't get it in that case.

Yeah i feel like upgrading my computer parts all the time too but i control that urge and upgrade only once every 4 years otherwise it would get very expensive. I also refrain from buying hi end parts and instead buy mid range parts as they offer much better value for money.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb