Sat behind a woman using a Windows phone, I was blown away by the performance...

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
...and as I inched closer to see what she was using... it was a............ Lumia 710!

What?

I was seriously blown away by how FAST she was switching in and out of apps and stuff. Absolutely instant response on everything. No lag whatsoever. Did not see the "resuming..." screen once. It was so bloody smooth and quick. I remember that's how I felt the first time I used WP. And now, since 8.1, I guess I have just gotten so used to seeing "resuming...", and sitting there waiting for the phone to switch to the next app, and being a 1020 user, just got used to waiting for up to 10 seconds for Lumia camera to launch.

The 710 runs WP7 so much smoother than my 1520 can run 8.1.

I am really hoping Windows 10 brings back that responsive and smooth operation that WP used to be known for.

Anyhow, that was the last thing I expected to be thinking about while taking my daughter to a puppet show at the library LOL. But I just couldn't get over the speed and response of the 710.

lexus232

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Could not agree more. It is shocking to see that my motorola g switches between apps faster than lumia 925. It wasn't like this 18 months ago. MS has messed up performance of the OS.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I would be happy to go back to 8.0 and lose the action centre and Cortana, but the problem is most of my apps REQUIRE 8.1. If I just did very basic stuff like email web media, I would be fine. In fact, I'd probably just get a 710 lol after watching that woman use hers. I was so mesmerized by it that I don't even know what the puppet show was about.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I would be happy to go back to 8.0 and lose the action centre and Cortana, but the problem is most of my apps REQUIRE 8.1. If I just did very basic stuff like email web media, I would be fine. In fact, I'd probably just get a 710 lol after watching that woman use hers. I was so mesmerized by it that I don't even know what the puppet show was about.

Yeah, I've been steadily getting left behind (sometimes for no reason, scowls at Roku) with apps I can't get or updates that don't apply to me.

Patiently waiting for Pureview and xenon, live tiles and Metro on iOS. :p

Or learn how to code and make my own version (not in this lifetime).

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Edit: the app situation even on 8.1 (and not like 10 will save the day immediately) was already getting me to consider having an alternate device.

Just at some point that line of reason might become "primary" device. :/

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes my 920 ran very nice on w 8 and now with 8.1 I get the dotes across the screen almost all time. The phone has more functions on 8.1, but the performance of the phone is way slower.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. But in WP7 you could not run GPS in the background (ruled out using navigation and exercise apps if you wanted to use the phone for anything else too) and no network in the background either.

No wonder it was faster, you couldn't do anything really useful. Let's keep the nostalgia in check.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I used a Lumia 928 for about a month and I couldn't believe how fast my HTC One M8 was once I switched back. Never got the resuming screen on the 928, but it was noticeably more sluggish. I do miss the camera though... the one on the M8 is turrible.

Kodiak12

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Quick and snappy performance is the only thing I miss from iOS. Most notably when loading apps. Right now, loading the camera app takes ages on my 635. But it didn't cost me $700 either.

And I've got the most recent WP10 preview on a Lumia 520 I had just lying around. The OS is totally unusable on that thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)