Would Microsoft prefer people to use Android or iOS

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
This question isn't intended to inflame or annoy the many, many Windows Mobile fans (myself included) who have stuck by Microsoft's mobile platforms for years.

I ask the question because Microsoft themselves seem to be sending a signal that's becoming clearer with every app they create for rival platforms, and the signal is that there's a better user experience to be found elsewhere.

It wasn't that long ago that Microsoft launched their first app for iOS. A lot of loyal Windows Phone fans weren't happy. We saw it as a sign that Microsoft weren't being true to their own platform. Since then, it's become an almost weekly occurrence to see a new Microsoft app or Windows Mobile feature appear on Android or iOS. It's actually become so common that it's not really worth getting upset about anymore.

But what does really annoy me is that a lot of these apps and features actually work better on rival platforms. Microsoft are doing what other app developers have been doing to Windows Phone for years...they're creating great experiences for Apple users and throwing us the leftovers.

So my thinking is this; I can't see Microsoft suddenly abandoning Windows Mobile. It would be a big climb down for them and would alienate a lot of windows phone fans. But I can believe that maybe what Microsoft are trying to do is create great experiences on other platforms in the hope that we all just sort of gradually migrate to Apple or Android as we look for an all round more polished mobile experience. And when we arrive at whichever platform we choose there will be a load of great MS apps to welcome us.

Is Microsoft trying to veer us toward other platforms?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Something I want to note is that Microsoft isn't a hivemind.

The devs behind iOS apps is a different team than that behind Android for example.

Microsoft Garage apps are basically apps done by MS individuals in their spare time, so while it seems odd to throw so many on iOS, its worth thinking those as apps done by an individual who also happens to be an MS employee.

I understand updates as they happen and not waiting indefinitely, twiddling thumbs for a Windows version is best for users although it looks bad for loyalists, but hey, I'm pretty sure MS doesn't care too much for image especially given the heavy-handed OneDrive debacle, W10M probably not being known to exist to many outside the community, and eviler-than-it-actually-is Windows 10 analytics.

I think at this point, becoming the information, experience and services "glue" between all devices, including popular ones, is the goal. Even at the expense of the less important Windows Mobile.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Something I want to note is that Microsoft isn't a hivemind.

The devs behind iOS apps is a different team than that behind Android for example.

Microsoft Garage apps are basically apps done by MS individuals in their spare time, so while it seems odd to throw so many on iOS, its worth thinking those as apps done by an individual who also happens to be an MS employee.

I understand updates as they happen and not waiting indefinitely, twiddling thumbs for a Windows version is best for users although it looks bad for loyalists, but hey, I'm pretty sure MS doesn't care too much for image especially given the heavy-handed OneDrive debacle, W10M probably not being known to exist to many outside the community, and eviler-than-it-actually-is Windows 10 analytics.

I think at this point, becoming the information, experience and services "glue" between all devices, including popular ones, is the goal. Even at the expense of the less important Windows Mobile.

I agree with you and understand that the apps MS are creating for rival platforms are done by a completely separate part of the Microsoft machine, but the one that's gotten me a little annoyed is Cortana...

It was awesome in 8.1 and had a huge amount of potential, but in W10M it's gone badly wrong. The UK version is pretty appalling. It barely gets by as a very basic bing search engine. And yet, the iOS version is a whole lot better.

So Microsoft launch Cortana and make this massive deal out of it being a big thing for Windows Phone, and then they ship it to iOS.

I get that this is all about big business and actually, being an OS loyalist is probably pretty lame, but still it stings a little

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6