Geek Factor Calculator

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here it is... Calculate your Geek Factor

In your household count functioning devices:
  • Count the number of screens (TV, Monitor, etc. These are dumb screens that have no content unless piped in via connector).
  • Add the number of media boxes that serve content to a dumb screen. (Game consoles, DVD/BluRay, Steaming boxes, PC sticks, etc.) Do not count a Smart TV twice, only count a smart box once if it plays disks and streams. Do not count simple tape/disk players with no internet connectivity/function Do not count Chromecast, MiraCast or any other pipe that is just a conduit between smart devices.
  • Add the number of PCs, Laptops, Notebooks/Netbooks, etc.
  • Add the number of Tablets and internet capable Personal Media Players.
  • Add the number of Cellular Phones.
  • Add the number of Wearables.
  • Add the number of IoT devices not covered above. Smart Appliances, Smart Home locks/bulbs/etc.
Divide the above by the number of users in the household. If a toddler plays with a tablet and can access content on their own they may be counted. If a pet plays a fish swatting game you have to load for them, do not count that pet... If the pet can launch and play the game, count it.

Add the number of non-functioning devices and screens together and divide by 10. Add this to the above result.

Congratulations. This is your Geek Factor.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear... We count the dumb screens because without them the content is useless.

If the screen is built in and not made to be purposely uncoupled from the CPU (like a tablet/laptop/etc) do not count it twice.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm at 1.89. This is due to my large family! Even my 1 1/2 year old likes to watch Tom and Jerry on the tablet. :wink:

Based on the requirements for other devices, I think the Chromecast could qualify (I have 2 of them, but didn't count them here). It is more than just a pipe between 2 devices. It does screencasting like the Miracast but that is not its primary function. That is more a sideline.

You do need another device to get the Chromecast started. But it is online directly, with either WiFi or ethernet (if you have an adapter) and it will play on its own once it is going. For example, you can take your phone and start a YouTube playlist, and then disconnect/shut off the phone. The Chromecast will keep going. This is especially helpful if you have a Note 7 because when it explodes you can at least finish watching your video! :grincry:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I hit an even 10. I probably have even more computers lying around that I could use to pad my stats, but I'm counting the PCs that are at least occasionally active.

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps need a multiplier for some things....

4 people with
- 2 servers
- 7 laptops
- 4 tablets
- 3 smartphones
- 7 televisions
- 4 monitors
- 2 thermostats
- home automation with God knows what
- 2 cameras with more on the way
- TiVo
- networked stereo, blu-ray x3