Have you ever regretted a decision/step in your life?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Anything that makes you pull your hair out? I don't mean some of the lighter things in life. I mean some of the more crucial decisions. I got divorced and I regret it. I loved her, but she didn't I guess. She was in it for the monies. But had I tried a little harder, perhaps things would have improved?

This thought is killing me off late and I can't share it with anyone. Not friends, not family not relatives.

Have any step you regret till date?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Been married 53 years; got married when I was 5. LOL I screwed the first one up; love her to this day. Married something from the other side of the fence that turned out not to be greener. I feel for you. Everyday I regret those two things I did in my life.

I can't tell anyone around me either; too embarassed I guess. Hang in there. The bad is gone and the good is coming.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
That's a hard question. I don't know if I have anything that has me want to pull my hair out, but I do regret some things when it comes to relationships. I regret not trying it out with a certain person when I had the chance, because that could have changed how my relationships after that happened for sure. I also regret doing things that I didn't feel comfortable doing because of how it made me feel after.

I wish you the best OP and also you too @aximtreo .

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that you have been having trouble especially with your relationship.

I've had many regrets about past decisions in my life. However, in my case this dwelling on the past was not healthy but part of a bigger problem: depression.

I'm doing better now and should have done something about it earlier.

I encourage you to talk to a doctor or counsellor if you continue to have feelings that are troublesome and feel that you cannot talk to your family and friends.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
This isn't an answer to the question, but simply a thought.

I try to live my life the same way I drive my car.
I don't spend a lot of time in reverse.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I occasionally consider that if I hadn't chickened out when the Navy offered me a career on Nuclear Submarines right out of high school, I would be comfortably retired several years ago with a fat pension instead of having to go to work every day for another 20+ years.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
If I hadn't hurt my knee in college football, and joined the USAF 1958-1962, no telling where that would have led me, but I really have no regrets.
I'm in a retirement village. My wife has a wind farm in Oklahoma and we have a good life and a good income. No regrets here!:wink:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I regret nothing.

I've made some bad (it would have seemed this way at the time) decisions but definitely don't regret them. Every decision that I have made throughout my life has got me to the point where I am today;and I am thoroughly happy with where I am. (Except that I can't get the Alcatel Idol 4s unlocked and Microsoft new Surface Keyboard is not backlit)

If I had to do it all over again, I would not change a thing.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Lovely replies all you guys. Thanks to all those who have extended a helpful hand and a caring shoulder. Yes, staying strong is the ONLY option as of now. Unless you really really want to slump into depression. I think I am half way there.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I got divorced and I regret it. I loved her, but she didn't I guess. She was in it for the monies. But had I tried a little harder, perhaps things would have improved?

Don't feel bad about this decision man. You said it yourself - she was in it for the money. Whats the point in trying to fix a hollow relationship when its just one person actually trying? I've seen two friends fall into a divorce and one tried to kill himself *twice* with sleeping pills because he couldn't accept that his marriage was all about money. He's doing great again but I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't blame yourself. And try to talk to somebody close to you that you can trust, honestly. Right now I'm helping my other mate get through his divorcement and all I'm really doing is just being there for him and listen, no advice unless asked for. You should have such a friend as well, I'm sure you do. This is where you find out who your real friends are... which might also lead to disappointment. But you'll get stronger out of it.

And what Guytronic said is is pretty accurate. It's not easy though -- the hardest part is for yourself to accept that you did the right thing... and that doesn't happen overnight. But it really depends on you I guess. I myself suffered a lot back in my days as well. Best friend died from a lung infection, parents divorced, got cheated on in my relationship, lost family members to cancer and now my second mate is spiraling into a depression because of his divorcement. So I have some idea of what you're going through now.

But again, keep your chin up, man. I'm sure you can kick that looming depression's *** and enjoy life to the fullest again! Humans are made to survive -- you'll be fine. you just have to believe in yourself. I took too long to do that myself and thats the only thing I regret. Such a waste of time and energy... But here I am, and I'm doing fine.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I occasionally consider that if I hadn't chickened out when the Navy offered me a career on Nuclear Submarines right out of high school, I would be comfortably retired several years ago with a fat pension instead of having to go to work every day for another 20+ years.

My son was a CT onboard fast attacks for most of 20 years. He went in 1988 and got out late 2008. I so proud of him.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Don't feel bad about this decision man. You said it yourself - she was in it for the money. Whats the point in trying to fix a hollow relationship when its just one person actually trying? I've seen two friends fall into a divorce and one tried to kill himself *twice* with sleeping pills because he couldn't accept that his marriage was all about money. He's doing great again but I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't blame yourself. And try to talk to somebody close to you that you can trust, honestly. Right now I'm helping my other mate get through his divorcement and all I'm really doing is just being there for him and listen, no advice unless asked for. You should have such a friend as well, I'm sure you do. This is where you find out who your real friends are... which might also lead to disappointment. But you'll get stronger out of it.And what Guytronic said is is pretty accurate. It's not easy though -- the hardest part is for yourself to accept that you did the right thing... and that doesn't happen overnight. But it really depends on you I guess. I myself suffered a lot back in my days as well. Best friend died from a lung infection, parents divorced, got cheated on in my relationship, lost family members to cancer and now my second mate is spiraling into a depression because of his divorcement. So I have some idea of what you're going through now.But again, keep your chin up, man. I'm sure you can kick that looming depression's *** and enjoy life to the fullest again! Humans are made to survive -- you'll be fine. you just have to believe in yourself. I took too long to do that myself and thats the only thing I regret. Such a waste of time and energy... But here I am, and I'm doing fine.
Thanks a lot my friend. Your words DID help me. Sadly, I don't trust those I have around and me and the people whom I tell me, "forget about her." "she was wrong" and all. Which never puts me to ease. Especially because I loved someone who did not love me back. Anyways. I really really want to thank you for your kind, strong and humble words.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz