Trimming SIM cards

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Who here has trimmed their SIM down so it will fit a newer phone?
I just bought a SIM trimmer to go from micro to nano.

A couple of years ago I used scissors with a template from the web which was scary.
Should I just go to T-Mobile and have them move my SIM to nano?
I already have the newer T-Mo SIM-pack which includes all 3 sizes.

What is your experience with going smaller?
Did you DIY or have your carrier handle that?

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Who here has trimmed their SIM down so it will fit a newer phone?
I just bought a SIM trimmer to go from micro to nano.

A couple of years ago I used scissors with a template from the web which was scary.
Should I just go to T-Mobile and have them move my SIM to nano?
I already have the newer T-Mo SIM-pack which includes all 3 sizes.

What is your experience with going smaller?
Did you DIY or have your carrier handle that?

I have done it all.
Gone from normal to micro. Normal to nano. Micro to nano.
If you know how to use the trimmer well, there is no issue whatsoever. But yes, it wouldn't feel that clean, and you may have to rub off the edges of the sim if it doesn't fit in the slot. Also, the might get a bit stuck in the slot.
From normal to micro or normal to nano, it works fine. But from micro to nano, out of two times, it failed once for me. The centre part broke a bit and it came off in layers. The other time it worked, but became very flimsy and layers seemed to be coming off.

So what I would suggest is, if you plan to go from normal to micro or nano, it is okay. Use the trimmer. Just perfectly.
But if it is micro to nano, I suggest you go to the carrier, and ask them to give you a nano sim. It would be a lot better. Plus they would give you it in three sizes. So even if in the future, you have a need to put the nano in micro or normal sim slot, you will have those adapter kinda cut outs.

So it is upto you. :)

Hope i helped.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Nope. I just went to T-Mo and said that I have a new phone that takes a different size sim from the one that I have. They gave me a 3-in-1 (mini,micro, nano) sim that is excellent. No trimming required and if I want the nano sim to become micro sim, I just snap it back into the adapter.
Didn't have to pay anything either!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a couple of new T-Mo 3-in-1 SIM kits here.
If the T-Mobile store isn't packed like they usually are I'll have them switch my data plan SIM to a new nano.
The other 2 pre-paids I'll probably just trim down.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I trimmed down SIMs to nano manually which was alright but not perfect. After almost getting it stuck in my 830's tray I decided to let ATT handle the switch, which they do for free. Ive since gotten a SIM puncher which works well too if I need to do it then and there.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I have always gone to the Vodafone Store to get my sim changed from normal to micro/nano to avoid any problem.They do not charge for it.
When I switched to a 4G sim they delivered it to my home address(it was a 3 in 1) and I activated it as per their instructions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softradix