Sky Drive and One Note Disapointment

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Have had my HTC Arrive now for about 7 weeks; after discovering that the Office Mobile for WP 7 is not backwards compatible with the scads of Office 97 through 2007 documents I have, I really was in no rush to delve into One Note.

But I finally did and was let down yet again. Who are those people at MS that don't think through their programming? Oh Yeah, they give us 25 GB of cloud storage - because they don't utilize devices that can incorporate removable media cards - hyping up sky drive with the ability to do online collaberation. Whoop di do! So if I can't get a signal where I am - guess I'm S.O.L.

MS tries to convince me that syncing via the cloud is somehow more convenient than syncing to my own PC because I might have more than one PC for the files to get synced to - o.k. - whatever. A simple USB transfer of files would suffice in most cases oh but hey - MS took that option away from us too!

So before I can upload my favorite notebook I have to download and install a trial version of MS Office - I use Home & Student, so that's what I downloaded. 60 day free trial - that will eventually cost me almost 200.00 Which chaps my hide! Considering the bucks I shucked out for the phone and now to be able to use it with my original documents I have to shuck out more for a device that advertises native Office integration! :mad:

After downloading Office 2010 I opened the 2007 notebook, then did a save as, thinking it would save the old file in the new format. Uploaded to Skydrive - which took forever even on a hi-speed broadband connection. Something at Skydrive's end takes forever to process. After 47 minutes :shocked: upload was complete. Oh yeah, a prompt on the Skydrive screen said files cannot be larger than 100 MB. The notebook I uploaded was 76 MB - so within specs - right?

Upload success - so went to the Arrive - but got a message that file cannot download not compatible. Checked the properties - 2007! Deleted the 2007 files from Skydrive. BAck to 2010 One Note. Discovered that a right click on the Notebook offers an option to convert to 2010. Why didn't saving convert it? Who knows?

SO after a conversion and another long upload the next attempt to download to the Arrive is met with success. I open the notebook. Create a new page then tell it to sync.

Go to skydrive from the PC to see if changes are there and cannot find the new page! Delve into MS Windows One Note Help and there it says that notebooks cannot be larger than 50 MB to sync! :confused:

About this time my wireless goes down and I end up having to completely reconfigure it. Oh yeah - MS sent my PC an Automatic Update during all this nonsense and of course when the wireless quit the PC was in the middle of restarting for the update - and locked up!

I give up! I emailed the new page to myself so I can update the notebook. Went in to the Notebook and divided it up into three smaller notebooks. When I get the energy to fight again - I'll see if One Note on the PC and on the Arrive are talking to each other.

For now I'm terribly disappointed with MS.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you are having a bad day all around. I found Office 2010 Home & Student /3 User License, for $99 at Office Depot a few mo the back. Converted my One Note Notebooks from 2003 to 2010 after the install. Synced with SkyDrive and everything has been seamless since then. Anything I change on the PCs/phone get synced almost instantly. Don't know how big my synced notebook is, but not nearly 50MB. That would for surely be painful to sync with the Cloud or a phone.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

facetheduke

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
The only complaint that I have is that SkyDrive on the phone can't connect to my synced folders that I have tagged by Mesh. Takes away about 50% of the usefulness for me.

FriendOrDafoe

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Works on my phone fine. Hit the notebooks button in office. All of my school notes are written on my netbook then synced to my phone and my other computer via skydrive instantly.

Vector555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
All this syncing back and forth, checking work email on your phone, doing this or that sounds wonderful. I cannot do any of these things due to security policies =(

Sent from my Something Somwhere

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, I guess its encouraging that some people are able to utilize the integrated office on WP 7- gives me the urge to keep fighting!

Yeah, I MUST have been visited by computer gremlins because after work (I keep the phone in airplane mode during work hours), flicked airplane mode off, while the jeep was warming up I perused my email tiles - hotmail showing 86 emails! HUH? I rarely get more than half a dozen or so. Whats up with 86? Tap the tile and most all of them are repeated postmaster failed to send. What the hay?

My account has been spoofed and or hacked and it appears as if the miscreant is sending out emails to all my contacts! Geesh! What else now? MY virus programhasn't detected anything from the netbook. Will have to check the laptop. Wonder can they spoof from the WP 7?

Anyway hotmail help says to simply reset the password and send the wayward emails to them as junk mail. Well, that's done. Now lets see what happens!

Sharpening my sword to skirmish with One Note....

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I have the same sync problem with my Trophy. I had also had to download a trial version of Office. Yet and still, any One Notes I create on my phone will not sync to Skydrive.

Pauldro

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
For some reason, I sync my One Note files, and They don't show up on Sky Drive. My phone saves it to a different Notebook on SkyDrive and I can't seem to find it. Is there a way to change what notebook my phone syncs to?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo