Want to go Paperless in my office just ordered SnapScan 1500 how to send to Skydrive?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've never used a document scanner like that one before. Do the scans auto transfer to your computer or does the SnapScan have some sort of internal memory where the scans reside?

The easiest method I know of to send anything to SkyDrive is by using the SkyDrive desktop app.

https://apps.live.com/skydrive

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I use a scan snap 1300 at home. I scan all my stuff to sky drive. It comes with really good software called something like Scan Snap Organizer (at work, can't verify).

I set up this software to save to one of my sky drive folders instead of the default 'my docs' on the hard drive. Actually, you can just make your 'my docs' a SkyDrive folder anyway but different topic.

Anyway, the organizer software automatically pulls in scans and lets you easily rename, move around within its 'file cabinet' structure, make scans searchable via ocr (I leave that on auto), delete, separate, or re-order scanned pages, etc.

My favorite part of this software is that it's file cabinet interface is just a front end for the real folder structure. So if you move away from scansnap software someday then you'll still have your scans as searchable pdfs that mirror the scansnap file cabinet structure you made.

It's so nice having all my scans backed up via SkyDrive!

Here's a tip that I just started doing: scanning docs makes me dependent on keyword searches for finding stuff. The thing that makes a search non-universal is your real file cabinet. There are just some things that aren't worth scanning for one reason or another. But how do you remember what you physically filed and, if so, where is it? To solve that, I made a 'what the #%& is in the file cabinet' index file. I use OneNote but excel or whatever works. It's sole purpose is to make what is physically filed show up on your computer search. Put that index file right in the root of your scansnap folder so you can narrow your search to that part of your computer when trying to retrieve something.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
So I just purchased the new ScanSnap ix500. I was originally waiting for the bundled RackFiler version, but got tired of waiting. Wouldn't you know the day after I open my new toy the bundle comes out....for about $20 more on Amazon! Allegedly the software is about $150 or $200 if bought stand-alone.

Anyways, part of the reason I stopped waiting was a review I read which recommended not relying on 3rd party apps (that might not be available in the future), and instead a traditional PDF approach + folders. Skydrive seems like it will fit the bill nicely for this (thanks for the tips Nathan), but if anybody has any feedback on the Rack2-Filer software I'd love to hear it since I can still RMA and get the bundle if it's worth the hassle. Thanks

Amazon.com: Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 Deluxe Bundle Scanner [PA03656-B015]: Electronics

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the tips on organizing Nathan. I especially like the idea of the files being organized in folders and sub-folders and not being tied to a proprietary "file cabinet software" format. Is the database of that "file cabinet" software readable in Access or Excel?

Does anyone have experience with other scanners (Brother, Epson, ...)?

Does anyone have experience with other "file cabinet software" that also organizes files in folders for easy access, without a proprietary format?

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I have mine setup the same way as Nathan... No need for Rack Filer, and all the files and directory structures that ScanSnap Organizer stores are just stander pdfs and folders. Works GREAT! This was a life changer for me... No more stacks of paper!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12