Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. pdch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    391 Posts
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    As many of you probably know, the skydrive web interface has a pretty small max file size for uploads. I just found out that if you use the desktop app, you can actually drag and drop files up to 2GB. Since I am constantly sharing video files for work (self made), this is HUGE for me - and so I thought I would share.
  2. Mystictrust's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    977 Posts
    Global Posts
    982 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    The only downside is that the desktop app seems to sync painfully slow :( It also, sometimes, won't recognize that your desktop skydrive folder has been updated so falsely assumes that everything is up to date... sometimes you have to close and reopen the desktop app itself to be able to get it to see changes and start uploading.
  3. Chregu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7,505 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,538 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystictrust View Post
    The only downside is that the desktop app seems to sync painfully slow :( It also, sometimes, won't recognize that your desktop skydrive folder has been updated so falsely assumes that everything is up to date... sometimes you have to close and reopen the desktop app itself to be able to get it to see changes and start uploading.
    I share some insensible work data over Skydrive using the desktop app, so I can work from everywhere on them, and I've never had the issue with the folders not being updated on 3 computers (2x W7, 1x W8) and my Windows Phone. I'm not sure about sync times (I seldom add more than a few hundred MB in a day) but never noticed any problems.
  4. pdch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    391 Posts
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystictrust View Post
    The only downside is that the desktop app seems to sync painfully slow :( It also, sometimes, won't recognize that your desktop skydrive folder has been updated so falsely assumes that everything is up to date... sometimes you have to close and reopen the desktop app itself to be able to get it to see changes and start uploading.
    I just uploaded about 2GB in about 45 minutes - which I would not call painfully slow. Also, when you just drag and drop into your skydrive folder, there is a symbol on the icon that shows whether the files are uploading. It changes into a check mark when the file is actually uploaded. To see on your other devices, just hit refresh.

    Works GREAT for me.
  5. Mystictrust's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    977 Posts
    Global Posts
    982 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chregu View Post
    I share some insensible work data over Skydrive using the desktop app, so I can work from everywhere on them, and I've never had the issue with the folders not being updated on 3 computers (2x W7, 1x W8) and my Windows Phone. I'm not sure about sync times (I seldom add more than a few hundred MB in a day) but never noticed any problems.
    Well, glad to hear that someone out there isn't having any issues. My W8 desktop and W7 laptop both seem to be slow to notice a file that needs uploading :(

    Strange thing is, usually when this would happen, all my folders would show green checks on them but if I went into the folder where I knew I uploaded a file, the file itself would be marked with the sync icon, the folder would be marked incorrectly with the green check, and skydrive would report up to date. Searching the problem online informed me that I'm definitely not the only one - I just kind of assumed it was the way the app worked, actually (i.e. Say it only checks for updates every 30 - 60 minutes... of course you wouldn't normally notice it, but you would if you had to leave the house right after saving a file and want to make sure it uploaded so you can have it where you're going)

    Syncing is slow for some people. A couple threads with others having the "painfully slow" speed (i.e. One person taking 20 mins to upload a 67 mb file):
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...220f67?page=12
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...3-1ada5b94fc73
  6. pdch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    391 Posts
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystictrust View Post
    Well, glad to hear that someone out there isn't having any issues. My W8 desktop and W7 laptop both seem to be slow to notice a file that needs uploading :(

    Strange thing is, usually when this would happen, all my folders would show green checks on them but if I went into the folder where I knew I uploaded a file, the file itself would be marked with the sync icon, the folder would be marked incorrectly with the green check, and skydrive would report up to date. Searching the problem online informed me that I'm definitely not the only one - I just kind of assumed it was the way the app worked, actually (i.e. Say it only checks for updates every 30 - 60 minutes... of course you wouldn't normally notice it, but you would if you had to leave the house right after saving a file and want to make sure it uploaded so you can have it where you're going)

    Syncing is slow for some people. A couple threads with others having the "painfully slow" speed (i.e. One person taking 20 mins to upload a 67 mb file):
    Why is SkyDrive so slow&#63;&#63; - Microsoft Community
    uploading files to skydrive is so slow - Microsoft Community
    That is an odd issue to be sporadic and not consistent. I do have an extremely fast connection, maybe that has something to do with it. Of course, MS JUST updated skydrive, so maybe that has something to do with it as well. I just got an email from the Skydrive team reflecting improvements.

Similar Threads

  1. Upload multiple files with SkyDrive?
    By Banshe in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-22-2013, 05:48 AM
  2. Can't upload files to Skydrive
    By mclarryjr in forum OneDrive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 10:42 AM
  3. Uploading multiple snaps to SkyDrive
    By manmeetvirdi in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 01:34 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 10:29 AM
  5. Uploading all pictures to skydrive
    By mkr10001 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-15-2012, 02:14 PM

Posting Permissions

";