Skydrive to be rebranded

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Like people couldn't tell the difference. And Microsoft loses a court case in England, big surprise there. Now if they would just do the same for google.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It is ludicrous that they lost this case. Sky is too generic to trademark, and no one was confusing SkyDrive for Sky's services. bSkyb also tried suing Skype back in 2010 but the Skype name persists so I'm not sure why Microsoft gave in so easily. I think SkyDrive is a fantastic name for their cloud storage service. It is easy to say, intuitive, and just rolls off the tongue easily. When paired with the cloud logo, it's perfect. So I'm really disappointed they backed down. At the very least they should've only consented to changing it in the UK (as I don't believe bSkyb has operations outside of the UK, right?).

Can't they just officially rename it "Microsoft SkyDrive" or "Windows SkyDrive" and essentially continue using the name and logo? The only other name I heard being tossed around that I would be somewhat okay with is Bing Drive, but still, it'll be tough to top SkyDrive. That was perfect.

Last edited:

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
MS should just buy out DropBox and call it DropBox. Well what about OneDrive, LyncDrive, PutAllMyCrapInOneDrive, PirateDrive, NSADonationDrive.
SharePoint branding was a good suggestion.

Last edited:

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Oh, MS. Just can't win with names eh. Maybe it will be re-branded as "Windows Cloud". *sigh* Or even better, "Azure". Hahaha!

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I dont know why MS is not continuing to fight this. How the hell can you own the rights to a common name? Are you telling me, that no other companies can have the word SKY as a major focal point in their name? This is just as idiotic as them having to dump the word METRO. And its not as if MS called it SKY. It was skyDRIVE. While this doesnt affect me personally, its crap like this that ticks me off.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Meh, I hate this kind of stuff, just like with the rebranding of Metro.

I like SkyDrive as it is :(
SkyDrive was kinda a worldwide known and recognizable label, god knows what the're gonna rename it. But nevermind, we'll still use it for describing Microsofts' cloud storage space, as we do with the UI (Metro), haha :). Hate companies who just wanna be "important" as f*** with their names and lawsuits against other companies who use a part of their name, and the companies' service is totally irrelevant with their name :asleep:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I also think it should be impossible to hog something as generic as "Sky" alone.

SharePoint or OneDrive could perhaps work :p

stga77

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I think that OneDrive could be a good replacement and it would go well with other MS-products like OneNote, Xbox One etc.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
MS should just buy out DropBox and call it DropBox. Well what about OneDrive, LyncDrive, PutAllMyCrapInOneDrive, PirateDrive, NSADonationDrive.
SharePoint branding was a good suggestion.

I like "OneDrive" with the motto of "Put All of My Crap on OneDrive". EJB, you better patent it now. :D

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Yep, this is just all ****. SkyDrive was a good name. I predict a big confusion in the name of future SkyDrive. Also, I wonder how the rerouting will go. If a user goes to www.skydrive.com after the rebranding, will they be redirected? If so, for how long?

Also, SkyDrive clients now need to be updated, API URLs might have to be changed too which might break a lot of apps/programs (I've never used SkyDrive's API though), logos need to be changed, 3rd party apps must all change, and OSs (Windows 8, Windows Phone 8) must change the word "SkyDrive" too. This is all a mess.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if there's been some kind of a deal between BSkyB and Microsoft. Microsoft relinquishes the SkyDrive name in return for something, possibly rights to access Sky TV boxes with Xbox One.

The fact that MS hasn't fought more to keep the name indicates that a) something else is more important, and/or b) they already have another name lined up. Rebranding Hotmail as Outlook.com was pretty similar (although people got more annoyed about functional differences rather than the name change).

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The comments on the Verge's post were hilarious.

"PsyDrive" (as in PSY of Gangnam Style fame)
"NSADrive"
"SpyDrive"
"SkypeDrive" "the 'pe' is silent"

and my personal favorite:
"StockDive"

sigh, MS just can't win with names.
Re: "OneDrive", I bet Ubuntu One's jimmies will be rustled about that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro