Do you like the new OneDrive UI (v4.4.0.0)

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
In the 3rd picture, the titlebars of each pivot section are unnesecarily huge.
Also, the pivot has not been removed. The titlebars have just been replaced with images.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So the Skype team is all ios and the onedrive team is all spydroid. Just need the Windows 10 team to go all linuxy and we're set! /s

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
In the 3rd picture, the titlebars of each pivot section are unnesecarily huge.
Also, the pivot has not been removed. The titlebars have just been replaced with images.

What you suggest as "unnecessarily huge" is exactly what makes the Metro design language what it is. Oversized, beautiful typography that creates clean and elegant menus. The new UI uses a hamburger + mini-icons + small menu text that all try to make what can only be described politely as a confused menu system. This is not progress.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
i like the app itself more, but i like the ui less. i think it looks like a beta app in terms of design. i think dropping all o the white and grey space would make it look better. maybe make all of the empty space black, text white, and leave the banners blue? i don't know, but the white and grey are very unflattering, imo.

Connor Price

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Everyone cries out for Windows Phone to be equal with other platforms, when it does start becoming equal everyone cries that it's the same. Logic. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with the app. It's smoother, faster and it looks good.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Everyone cries out for Windows Phone to be equal with other platforms, when it does start becoming equal everyone cries that it's the same. Logic. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with the app. It's smoother, faster and it looks good.

Equal in functionality and features, not in looks. Otherwise why buy one in the first place? Is it ok to ditch live tiles just so WP can gain parity with the competition? The UI is pretty much all WP has going for it now, remove that and there is no reason for the platform to even exist, especially with the current app situation which Microsoft themselves aren't helping.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes the new app is great, and metro is going in the right direction.
I personally want to see more colour in apps, instead of this bland white text on a black background thing most apps have got going on.

Oh, and the huge headers that some apps still have (thankfully xbox music got rid of it) need to be eliminated

^^ THIS.

When the big hugezor header can't even be read because it's wider than 3 phones, what's the point?

If your design hinders usability, adapt your design.

If this implies breaking a few of the design guidelines, so be it.

Remember : design guidelines are just that, guidelines, not immutable laws of godly purity. Usability trumps design.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Equal in functionality and features, not in looks. Otherwise why buy one in the first place? Is it ok to ditch live tiles just so WP can gain parity with the competition? The UI is pretty much all WP has going for it now, remove that and there is no reason for the platform to even exist, especially with the current app situation which Microsoft themselves aren't helping.

Bad example : Live tiles are THE determining feature of Windows Phone, and if MS were to ditch that, people would rightfully be outraged and question the platform.
However, adapting the UI of an app for better usability is a far cry from abandoning the specificity and ethos of Windows Phone.

I do not agree WP only has it's UI to go on for; here's why I choose WP, other than for the UI:
  • better security - no Android sploits'n'hacks'n'virus here
  • no cult - I am not Sheepple, I do not abide.
  • no Google eye on everything I do
  • underdog. Well that's probably just me: I always prefer an underdog. Marginal and all that.

Honestly, if every single app respected the Modern UI to the letter, it would indeed be a very bland and unappealing day in the Windows Phone world.

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I recall reading an old blog-type thing from a MS designer outlining their inspiration and vision for the Metro/Modern UI. This new "Android" design completely abandons the foundations of what Metro/Modern was supposed to be about. If you think this Android crap looks good then that's your business, but don't pretend it isn't a fundamental departure from the core principals of Metro/Modern.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Why is nobody whining about the hamburger button in the OneNote app on iOS? Why WP is not allowed to have these "hamburgers"? Why are all the WP fanboys supposed to shout their pain about UI change..?

As long as the app keeps being the same or more productive, I will be very happy with it. I bought my Windows Phone not because of three dots definitely.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Why is nobody whining about the hamburger button in the OneNote app on iOS? Why WP is not allowed to have these "hamburgers"? Why are all the WP fanboys supposed to shout their pain about UI change..?

As long as the app keeps being the same or more productive, I will be very happy with it. I bought my Windows Phone not because of three dots definitely.

It's because it's not in line with the Modern UI. They moved settings into the Hamburger menu for no good reason as it was perfectly fine where it was, the same place as the other system apps which is in the three dots menu. They moved the search button for no good reason as well, it was fine where it was on the app bar.

They also changed from the text based pivots to a hamburger menu and icons for the pivots, totally against the Modern UI guidelines that they set out for other developers. They are also using a non standard UI, text based pivots are in the SDK and the, now current, fugly UI isn't.

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
its just begining

I don't doubt it. I'm more than willing to deal with WP's deficiencies so I can enjoy the unique UI and benefit from all the attention paid to creating an excellent UX through consistent, well-thought-out design. If MS starts turning the core WP apps into Android look-alikes then I see no real upside to WP compared to the competition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle