OneDrive Desktop Client: Does Content Save to Local Hard Drive as well?

ilabene

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi. I have a Surface Pro 2 with 7GB left of storage space. I have the OneDrive desktop client installed (because I like using it better than the modern app) and I've always wondered if, because I have the desktop client installed, does my OneDrive content save to my local hard drive as well?

Same goes for PCs with Windows Vista.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
No, those are "smart files" that simply show you what's in OneDrive. They're basically placeholders. If you want to, you can arbitrarily mark them as available offline, which will put them on the hard drive.

Santos lil elpair

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure default is the file being available online and offline. You have to select available online only for your onedrive folder or it will be stored on your HD. I have 107gb of Onedrive that I found stored on my HD today.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure default is the file being available online and offline. You have to select available online only for your onedrive folder or it will be stored on your HD. I have 107gb of Onedrive that I found stored on my HD today.

Weird. Mine does things online only unless I specifically tell it to be downloaded to my hard drive.

ilabene

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Because I'm honestly not sure which setting it's on right now. It does say, though, that if I want to make all of my content available offline, I need 0.32 GBs of space and I just can't believe that I only have that much stuff on my OneDrive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb