OneDrive v4.7.0.0 - PIN code access, what's the point?

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I must be missing something. I know that people who use OneDrive on the other platforms have had PIN access for a while now but I don't understand the point of having it on Windows Phone where everything is integrated. I can access all of my photos through the Photos hub and likewise all my documents are available through the Office hub. I can even attach photos or videos in an email or an MMS, why all the fuss about a PIN?

godsgreat_87

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. Pin is not working when you try from photos app or anywhere else. I doubt if MS really has any QAEs working on testing these.

Pranshul Sood

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
A majority of people dont use windows 8 or higher on their desktops thus they might find the feature useful, as older versions of windows dont have much integration with Onedrive. Besides if you want to protect your files, you can always upload the file onto your Onedrive account and delete it from the source.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I must be missing something. I know that people who use OneDrive on the other platforms have had PIN access for a while now but I don't understand the point of having it on Windows Phone where everything is integrated. I can access all of my photos through the Photos hub and likewise all my documents are available through the Office hub. I can even attach photos or videos in an email or an MMS, why all the fuss about a PIN?

You do not need to use iI, you do not need to pay for it, it does not slow down your phone, it does not take storage place so why "complain" about it.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
You do not need to use iI, you do not need to pay for it, it does not slow down your phone, it does not take storage place so why "complain" about it.

Not a complaint, I'm merely making an observation. I'm trying to understand why it has been included on WP at all. Continuing your extrapolation, I could also state "they didn't have to expose the PIN on the WP version of the app," assuming that it is a universal app.

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

It's useful to me. I can make some folder which won't be shown in photos hub and I can put my personal files, photos, videos there.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
True, This makes sense it a great way to store items for your eyes only using the pin method.

Yeah! I am using this to hide some of my files. Now I need dark theme support only. Oh maybe removal of hamburger. ��

Er, except that if those files, which you think are now magically protected, are file types that either your Photos hub or the Office hub can read, they will still be very much visible and accessible no matter where they live in OneDrive without having to guess your OneDrive PIN. Sure, if those files are not pictures or videos or office type documents, they will be safer with a PIN but that doesn't break the WP integration at all.

If you attempt to share a photo with OneDrive, it does prompt you for your PIN (if set) before it lets you upload. However, if you have auto-upload turned on and you take a photo, it'll sync straight to OneDrive, no questions asked. It seems a little half-baked to me.

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Er, except that if those files, which you think are now magically protected, are file types that either your Photos hub or the Office hub can read, they will still be very much visible and accessible no matter where they live in OneDrive without having to guess your OneDrive PIN. Sure, if those files are not pictures or videos or office type documents, they will be safer with a PIN but that doesn't break the WP integration at all.

If you attempt to share a photo with OneDrive, it does prompt you for your PIN (if set) before it lets you upload. However, if you have auto-upload turned on and you take a photo, it'll sync straight to OneDrive, no questions asked. It seems a little half-baked to me.

It is half baked actually which is usually the case with all things MSFT.
Options are a good thing though.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site

Absolutely right, but it is nice to have the added benefit of this feature and like all the other features we have the option to use it or not. always nice to have the bonus...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos