General discussion: 10GB file size limit.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I must admit that I'm probably missing something simple. Embarrassingly so, I'd bet. ;)

But, what's the rationale behind OneDrive's 10gb file size limit? To me, data is data and I see no difference between one 20gb file and twenty 1gb files.

I have some video files I'd love to back up to the cloud, but can't do it with OneDrive. Anyone have other service recommendations? I'd love to make use of my "unlimited" OD account but can't. (heh, think I just clued in and answered my own question....They do, in fact, have finite storage and expect the majority of users to not even approach their allotted space.)

Anyway....

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Sprint? No....fiber connection (Bell Aliant) in Canada.

And, no, for SOME of my files 10gb is not enough. I have some of my favourite movies ripped from Bluray that are over 10gb in size. Those are what I'd like to put on OneDrive for backup.

Not the end of the world, of course, just curious about the reasons for the limit in the first place.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

And, no, for SOME of my files 10gb is not enough. I have some of my favourite movies ripped from Bluray that are over 10gb in size. Those are what I'd like to put on OneDrive for backup.
Not the end of the world, of course, just curious about the reasons for the limit in the first place.

Ohhhhh. Ok. That makes sense. You might need to continue to rock an external like I'm doing. Seems to work pretty well with both Plex, Emby and XBOX video.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Ohhhhh. Ok. That makes sense. You might need to continue to rock an external like I'm doing. Seems to work pretty well with both Plex, Emby and XBOX video.

That's what I'm doing now with my PLEX setup. But, was hoping to avoid more drives just for duplication, so was disappointed to discover the 10gb file size limit per file. Ah well...

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
My guess would be it's an arbitrary limit so that business-type users with larger files head to Azure.
Although you might find the OneDrive for Business file limits are different(?). Had a quick look on the OneDrive for Business site, but there's no easily-accessible specs page.

PavanReddy

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

is it legal to upload backups of movies and music to OneDrive? I will not be sharing with other parties.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SimcolCross