Does OneDrive Have a Folder Limit?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I've been trying desperately to back up my music onto OneDrive, however I've been having issues. At first I tried to upload everything at once, which failed miserably. I ended up having to wipe my OneDrive completely clean and reloading my documents and photos. Then I tried doing it one letter at a time. However, this also failed several times, each time forcing me to wipe my OneDrive and reload. I assumed that the culprit was overloading my OneDrive, giving it too much information to handle at a time. So I started again, one letter at a time, except I waited patiently for each letter individually to upload completely before moving on to the next letter.
But this didn't work either. I noticed, though, that OneDrive failed again when the folders hit sixty inside my "Music" folder. This makes me think there's a folder limit inside of OneDrive.
By the way, the error message I receive every time comes in the form of a little yellow triangle attached to the OneDrive icon and a message at the bottom declaring something akin to "Files can't be uploaded to your OneDrive because of issues with a folder name." This can't be it, however, as not a single folder differs from any of the others in any significant way except for M?tley Cr?e and Queensr?che, and I tested to make sure these folders weren't the culprit.
Does OneDrive have a folder limit, then? If true, OneDrive is rubbish for music, because any significantly large store of music will compose of greater than 60 artists. I have 123 and more are coming. What I've done is I've moved all my artists into alphabetical folders, so that I'm left with 25 folders. (A "#" folder and no "X" or "Y"). I'll come back and post if this works, but I'd like some feedback.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
[UPDATE] I have found the issue (and the solution).
The cause of all these issues was no number limit, but a file limit. And a rather stupid one as well.
Metallica's "... And Justice For All" album wasn't being accepted, and was causing everything to cease to sync. Apparently, OneDrive has no idea what to do with periods in front of a file name. I urge all of you to go yell at Microsoft to resolve this issue. Thank you.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry, but that article is over six months old. As I understand, Microsoft has changed OneDrive and how it works substantially in that amount of time, and I'd quite like new or recent information.

Yes I knew that when posting it :) but I hadn't heard otherwise so I thought the info was still valid :/

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Lol I shall take you word for it. Weird that the uploads couldn't progress just because of a file name. MS should add the option for onedrive to find and show us the problem in addition to reporting it

wessock

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
The 20k file limit was only for Onedrive for Business anyway, not the normal Onedrive. Onedrive for Business is a whole different product with different features and limitations.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234