Why is onedrive.com using so much RAM

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I've noticed a problem with the onedrive website when I'm uploading photos, It doesn't matter if I use mozilla or edge or chrome

When I start uploading a batch of photos, say 200MB in total, the RAM usage goes really high. I've seen it reach 4GB of RAM while uploading the photos.

check the screenshots attached. Edge ram combined 7.jpgEdge ram combined.jpg

What can I do to solve this? All the browsers are up to date. I have 10GB of photos to upload and more every week.

Thank you

vice86

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Same here. 550mb folder with 750 zipped files in it. Used Chrome and chrome would crash after a couple hundred files. Used Edge and about 300 files in Edge memory usage was at about 6300mb of my 8GB PC. Using FIrefox now. About 100 files in and Firefox's memory usage is at around 1200mb. Looks like it will eventually do the same thing as Edge. So is it a OneDrive issue or Windows 10 issue when uploading a lot of files?

vice86

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I've given up on OneDrive. Using Google Drive now. Uploads huge amount of files with no big impact on the ram. I like the UI better for Drive than OneDrive now too.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Same here. 550mb folder with 750 zipped files in it. Used Chrome and chrome would crash after a couple hundred files. Used Edge and about 300 files in Edge memory usage was at about 6300mb of my 8GB PC. Using FIrefox now. About 100 files in and Firefox's memory usage is at around 1200mb. Looks like it will eventually do the same thing as Edge. So is it a OneDrive issue or Windows 10 issue when uploading a lot of files?

I've given up on OneDrive. Using Google Drive now. Uploads huge amount of files with no big impact on the ram. I like the UI better for Drive than OneDrive now too.

I've tested this several times though not recently and the only thing I can say is that the website has a bug somewhere
I've been using onedrive on pc - the default option and it performs as expected for backing up - RAM usage never goes above a few MB and the processor is also down. Speed is at full when uploading

I recommend you use the onedrive client and forget the website for uploading

vice86

May 19, 2016
Visit site
But doesn't that mean i HAVE to sync files? I move my files around sometimes and I don't want my files synced to one drive. I just want them uploaded for backup purposes.

vice86

May 19, 2016
Visit site
thanks for the tip Chintan...i used the built in app, copied folders to the OD folder, uploaded, moved them to the right place in the web app then deleted from OD folder on desktop. Uploads with no issue now. Nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss