OneDrive Kills Unlimited Cloud Storage and Downgrades All Other Options

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I can understand their decision to switch to 1 TB, but the reasoning and execution is horrible.
To me, even their decision to reduce max storage to 1TB is very shortsighted and works strongly against their stated desire for OneDrive to be the place for (almost) everything in our lives (as Kavu2 reminded us of above). Part of the beauty and attraction of the "unlimited" OD offer for me was that I simply didn't have to worry about space anymore and so by default I could just put "everything" there. I wasn't planning to abuse it or upload 75TB to it, but it was great knowing that all my files, all my camera photos and videos, my music collection (which they ENCOURAGED us to do), and whatever else I wanted could readily go into my OneDrive and stay there. It would truly become my default hard drive for everything -- and that would apply now and into the future. So maybe I wouldn't hit the 1TB limit this year, but if OneDrive usage was supposed to be a long term proposition and new core plan for how people use their technology then it seems pretty reasonable to expect that a LOT of paying users (not abusers) would hit 1TB pretty quickly (and then what happens?). So now that there?s a limit, even a relatively large limit, it means I again have to start deciding what to place into OD and what to keep on other hard drives, which for me really reduces the functionality and appeal of OneDrive and cloud storage overall. If some of my files are in OneDrive and others are stuck on my laptop, and others on my tablet, then I?m forced to prioritize what I?ll actually need access to from all my devices, and I return to the relative confusion and frustration of operating within limits and needing a file but realizing it?s elsewhere and inaccessible. Seems like a real step back to me.

I suspect that for me and most others, a 5TB limit, or possibly even 2TBs, would effectively be ?unlimited? for years or decades to come. But to force loyal MS customers and enthusiasts to abruptly shift their thinking from unlimited to undeniably limited is a terrible move for Microsoft goodwill and how people perceive the value that MS is providing and the mobile lifestyle strategy they?ve been championing. Users and prospective users are now forced to change their mindset from ?this is awesome and easy and refreshing because I have all the cloud space I could ever need; I don?t have to wonder or worry about where I store my files and I appreciate Microsoft for being forward-thinking and providing this kind of unmatched solution and value to users of its ecosystem? to ?what should I put in the cloud and what should I store elsewhere? what files are in OneDrive and what?s on my laptop? how often will I have to purge my photos so I don?t hit my limit? is it really worth moving music to the cloud since it?ll take up more space? I wonder what Google Drive is like? would Amazon?s unlimited plan be a better option since MS isn?t actually committed to the Cloud/Mobile strategy they bragged about?? The ?limited? aspect of the new proposition, even though the limits are generous, simply introduces questions and hesitancy about how well all the MS ecosystem parts will work together and how enthusiastically we as users should and will be able to use all those aspects of a mobile, multi-device lifestyle into the foreseeable future.

It might seem like 1TB is plenty, and it?s definitely a lot, but unfortunately it still means moving everyone?s mindset from unlimited and the all-encompassing ease that comes with that to real limitations on what you can do ? and I think that?s a huge blow to the badly needed foothold MS seemed to be barely gaining in the cloud, ecosystem and public perception competitions.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
At the end of the day we can all argue whether Microsoft is justified or not.

The problem is not what they did, but how they did it. Even if they now decided to have a change of heart and grandfather existing users in, the trust has already been lost.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
At the end of the day we can all argue whether Microsoft is justified or not.

The problem is not what they did, but how they did it. Even if they now decided to have a change of heart and grandfather existing users in, the trust has already been lost.
Reminds me of the XB1 debacle. But at least with XB1 they were terms for a new product. With OneDrive they are changing things for existing users using their existing products.

All of a sudden, any Lumia device I own just became less valuable.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Reminds me of the XB1 debacle. But at least with XB1 they were terms for a new product. With OneDrive they are changing things for existing users using their existing products.

All of a sudden, any Lumia device I own just became less valuable.
To me, the fact that they dropped this on us, before the launch of Windows 10 Mobile and the sale of the new Lumias suggests they have already written off Windows Phone as being 'valuable'.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, they did convert me from someone who decided to buy the 950XL to someone that will just get my current phone repaired. No need to pay extra money to upgrade right now.

Quite frankly, because of the horrible reasoning used justify this move, and how "abuse" really has nothing at all to do with the elimination of the camera roll, my trust in MS is shaken.

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
FYI, there's a new OneDrive UserVoice idea post that might be of interest to those of you who are Office 365 Home subscribers. It suggests allowing subscribers to choose how to allocate the collective 5TB of OD storage across the five O365 subscription licenses. Seems like a good idea to me as a way to make the most of the space you're already paying MS for, especially in light of being reduced to 1TB per license/user. https://onedrive.uservoice.com/foru...-control-of-space-allocation-for-office365-su

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Looking at the original UserVoice, it's ridiculous how there's almost 70,000 votes and MS has not responded.
https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive

MS states very plainly on their UserVoice for OneDrive: "While we can?t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we will respond to every suggestion that gets at least 100 votes."
It's #1 in the UserVoice by a wide margin.

1 ? 69,606 votes ? NO RESPONSE FROM MS
2 ? 14,827 votes ? MS responded
3 ? 3,785 votes ? MS responded
4 ? 3,361 votes ? MS responded
5 ? 2,867 votes ? MS responded
6 ? 2,396 votes ? MS responded
7 ? 1,912 votes ? MS responded
8 ? 1,672 votes ? MS responded
9 ? 1,623 votes ? MS responded
10 ? 1,351 votes ? MS responded
11 ? 1,257 votes ? MS responded
12 ? 1,207 votes ? MS responded
13 ? 1,075 votes ? MS responded
14 ? 1,056 votes ? MS responded
15 ? 944 votes ? MS responded
16 ? 884 votes ? MS responded
17 ? 791 votes ? MS responded
18 ? 775 votes ? MS responded
19 ? 773 votes ? MS responded
20 ? 767 votes ? MS responded
21 ? 745 votes ? MS responded
22 - 696 votes ? MS responded
23 ? 660 votes ? MS responded
24 ? 632 votes ? MS responded
25 ? 601 votes ? MS responded
26 ? 548 votes ? MS responded
27 ? 530 votes ? MS responded
28 ? 527 votes ? MS responded
29 ? 517 votes ? MS responded
30 ? 484 votes ? MS responded
31 ? 476 votes ? MS responded
32 ? 461 votes ? MS responded
33 ? 409 votes ? MS responded
34 ? 367 votes ? MS responded
35 ? 353 votes ? MS responded
36 - 349 votes ? MS responded
37 ? 268 votes ? MS responded
38 ? 259 votes ? MS responded
39 ? 250 votes ? MS responded
40 ? 250 votes ? MS responded
41 ? 242 votes ? MS responded
42 ? 233 votes ? MS responded
43 ? 226 votes ? MS responded
44 ? 214 votes ? MS responded
45 ? 207 votes ? MS responded
46 ? 197 votes ? MS responded
47 ? 191 votes ? MS responded
48 ? 188 votes ? MS responded
49 ? 186 votes ? MS responded
50 -182 votes ? MS responded

Numbers 2 through 50 combined have a total of 54,771 votes.That's 14,835 votes less than #1 alone. Yet #1 gets no response.

How do you think this reflects on your commitment to customer service MS?

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
^^^ Wow, I hadn't realized they state that they'll respond to suggestions with 100+ votes. Amazing and shameful that they haven't felt any need to reply to nearly 70K votes. Seems to me that a LOT of goodwill and customer loyalty is hanging on whether MS ever responds to it and how they handle a change that has clearly made a lot of customers feel unappreciated, betrayed, frustrated, confused and angry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers