Onedrive is dead, were do we go now?

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Most consumers don't want or need Office 365, plus they have a perfectly good older PC or laptop running Windows 7 or 8 that they see no need to upgrade to W10. The continuous upgrades required by Windows are brutal for average consumers. I see it constantly--computer hasn't been used for two weeks because they do everything on their smartphones and before they can use something on the PC they have to endure 20 minutes of updates. They don't want to deal with all that, they only need lightweight programs and a browser, and they want it all cheap and simple. This OneDrive degrade is just another reason to go to Google and its ecosystem. I see this as MS essentially writing off the consumer market, except for the % that are power users.

Bryan Trach

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
You do know that O365 and "full office" are pretty much the same thing? Or were you only using the web apps? I use Office 365(2016 version) 8+ hours every day and haven't run into the issues you speak of.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I use O365 every day at work, but we are running Windows 7 still. The online versions are OK, but desktop versions work much better. Still, the updates are brutal. A few weeks ago I gave up timing it after 20 minutes and went and did something else. It essentially meant I missed lunch because I couldn't leave the PC behind since I was going somewhere else to work. When my wife fires up her PC after having not used it for a month or more the update process often prohibits work for an hour or more. On an older PC it often just locks up and you have to go through several reboots to get it to work.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I personally am not effected by the changes to OneDrive. I also can't grasp the dramatic reactions of others (kudos to the op for brilliantly demonstrating this). There is still a good amount of storage for $2 and lets face it, if paying why would someone pay more when office home is not far off the price.

Unlimited storage is a nonsense concept that can't possibly be fulfilled. Glad that's gone as it showed OneDrive to be an immature product much like those low cost web hosts that offer the world for virtually nothing, there's always a catch. So that being gone is good for all, and for those effected by the loss of unlimited I'm glad they are changing services as they only damage the quality of ours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos