Onedrive storage down to 5GB from 15 + 15GB

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting to see if I keep my full 25 GB legacy storage - when they started downsizing it a few years ago, that got split into a 15 base + 10 loyalty bonus.

don4law

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Totally agree. I had 30 GB, bought 50 more for $1.99 a month (not $1.99 for 100 GB as others have had), only to find the 15 GB for camera roll disappeared, reducing my total upgrade to just 35 GB per month. The moderator here pointed me to an "opt in" site to retain the free camera roll which I followed, but now my OneDrive shows the 15 GB camera roll back, but the initial 15 GB that was free missing. What is this B.S.? What other company pulls these kinds of tricks with their loyal fan base (which seems to be dwindling by the day)? I, for one, have been a dedicated MS user, waited for the Lumia 950xl, but my patience and continued trust is fading ...

don4law

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
The new phones may very well come with up to 30GB of OneDrive storage for free, but maybe for the first year or two only. If it's in the footnote, yes, I see it there, MS will let a purchaser have it.
Nope. I have a Lumia 950xl. I HAD 15 GB free and 15 GB camera roll, total of 30 GB. Then I got the message that it was almost full so I upgraded by paying $1.99 per month for 50 GB. After the purchase, 15 GB that was supposedly free initially just disappeared.

None of this makes any sense, and, yes, there are grounds for legal action: breach of contract, false advertising, fraud, misrepresentation, etc. Miceosoft made promises it did not keep and likely made those promises intending not to keep them. It's absolutely egregious!

ragingklu

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Wow somehow I missed the opportunity to keep my 15+15. I guess I've been living under a rock for a few months. That really sucks. The way I figured it, I wasn't a "free" user as I had purchased a 900, 920, 1020, 1520, and now a 950, along with plenty of paid apps.... MS has seen plenty of money to cover overhead for 30 freaking GB. I have only ever used SkyDrive/OneDrive to back my photos and devices up, and I've got about 22GB worth of stuff in there now. Bummer... but I can only blame myself as I'm sure I got an email or something. I'll try to find it, but since the promo is over, it's probably a moot point. And... if 30GB of storage for "free" was OK for Microsoft to provide me years ago, how is it the cost of this storage has magically gone up instead of down? I realize there are a lot of external factors and context lost in that simplified point, but it really is a simple point and seems very illogical the way they explain things....

Not grandfathering us in automatically was just some BS (regardless of ToU). Paid users were abusing the system, so let's share the consequences with the free users, some of whom have been spending decent amounts of money on the products.... This really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Forcing such a vocally upset consumer base to petition, only to get an opportunity at a limited-window promotional offer to keep what you already have... shouldn't happen. ESPECIALLY when you're pushing cloud storage on these devices in the first place.... This all just reeks of railroading "free" users into a sub. Why not just come out and say it, MS?

Plus the Lumia 950 feels so cheap compared to the 1520 and previous phones. Chasing spec sheets for lightest weight and smallest measurements was something previous Lumias did not seem to care about, and I loved that. Bummer. I'm really disliking where Microsoft is steering this ship in a lot of ways.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb