One Drive keeps opening up/pop up?

Josh Hearn

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
So I've never used One Drive on Windows 10. I registered once when I had Windows 8.1 and didn't like it so never used it. For whatever reason now One Drive seems to randomly give a pop up and or run in the background like its scheduled to at certain times. Its getting annoying. My pc is malware free. I've ran so much stuff just in case this was a corrupted joke type attack but all is well. Any ideas on how to stop it or disable the pop up. Something.

Thanks in advance

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
So I've never used One Drive on Windows 10. I registered once when I had Windows 8.1 and didn't like it so never used it. For whatever reason now One Drive seems to randomly give a pop up and or run in the background like its scheduled to at certain times. Its getting annoying. My pc is malware free. I've ran so much stuff just in case this was a corrupted joke type attack but all is well. Any ideas on how to stop it or disable the pop up. Something.

Thanks in advance

it would help if you could share what the pop up says.

but if you want to stop onedrive, go to task manager > start up apps > disable onedrive from starting when you switch on the pc. You can also disable other programs from starting up (therefore switching on time is faster)

Next, on the right bottom part of the screen, you should have the system tray(where infrequently programs appear) - look for the onedrive icon, right click and say quit. That should stop the current session from running

gplondon

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
I have a similar problem. In Windows 10. One Drive opens a File Explorer window several times a day.

In One Drive settings I have unchecked "Start One Drive automatically when I sign in to Windows"
One Drive is not in my Task Manager Start-Up pane. And I can see no references to One Drive in the Task Scheduler Library (though that's a bit difficult to tell).

I can exit One Drive and a bit later (without logging out of the PC) it starts itself again.

I'd like to retain the ability to sometimes manually put copies of files onto the cloud, so I don't want to totally disable it, but I can't see what's making it pop up all the time. Any ideas?

godzillamesel

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
I have a similar problem. In Windows 10. One Drive opens a File Explorer window several times a day.

In One Drive settings I have unchecked "Start One Drive automatically when I sign in to Windows"
One Drive is not in my Task Manager Start-Up pane. And I can see no references to One Drive in the Task Scheduler Library (though that's a bit difficult to tell).

I can exit One Drive and a bit later (without logging out of the PC) it starts itself again.

I'd like to retain the ability to sometimes manually put copies of files onto the cloud, so I don't want to totally disable it, but I can't see what's making it pop up all the time. Any ideas?

The same happens to me.. Its irritating as hell and i did not find any methods to deactivate that...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattt McGregor

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Please check here. If you have Windows 10 Pro or better, you can use GPEdit to change the use of one drive as a drive for applications; i.e. it shows in lists for Save or Save As operations. I believe this is one of the reasons One Drive is started randomly by running some other program; https://forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?t=427868&p=3655193&viewfull=1#post3655193

The other choice, if you never plan to use it, is to simply uninstall it from Apps & Features located in Settings under the Apps section. Search for One and click uninstall.

Now I have also seen Windows Update automatically reinstall this, so the uninstall may need to be repeated. Technically, the global policy (GPEdit edits that) could also be updated by Windows Update as was done with the Creators Update. MS continues to be aggressive with respect to forcing certain applications on the box and in some cases not allowing uninstall/removal (e.g. the new 3D Paint). OneDrive is the latest case of forced install and run but removal is at least still allowed.

carehart

Mar 27, 2018
Visit site
For those experiencing the problem of a Windows Explorer window of OneDrive opening randomly (not the OP's specific concern, but mentioned by others here), I had the same problem.

And I found a great answer (and more complete than I'd found elsewhere) in this post:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-e83c-4003-8417-bd1d07528161?page=2#LastReply

Sadly, MS has closed that forum so we can't offer thoughts or thanks there, but it seems the solution people need for this problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett