How's life after free onedrive storage dropped?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
So a few months have passed and I wonder what most of you are doing now that free onedrive storage was reduced

• Did you shift to another online storage service provider?
  • Did you change OS? Maybe get a new phone?
  • Did you buy more storage?
  • Did you buy office 365?
  • Did you stop or reduce using onedrive?
  • Did you leave all MS products for another line?
  • Or did you do nothing and just went on with your life?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/onedrive/391963-onedrive-storage-down-5gb-15-15gb.html

Share your thoughts below

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The end of the world happened and news sites were full of articles about how that day impacted so many people!

Seriously, has anything actually happened? Not heard a peep about it.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Probably those who used more than 5GB took the option to request being grandfathered in to the larger storage amount. Those using under 5GB who didn't make the request didn't need it anyways. Some subscribers probably don't even use OneDrive.

The move probably had little effect in the real world.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
It hasn't affected anything at this point. I have only used 4.3 GB of my One Drive storage after having it for several years. I have 30 GB for One Drive (15 GB + another 15 GB (from auto loading photos)), 117 GB (used 9 GB) for my Google Drive, 2-3 GB for Dropbox, 50 GB for Mega, 1 TB of pic from Flickr, 5 GB from Box. I spread my documents and other media files among these cloud accounts.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Never really cared about OneDrive or any cloud storage in reality.
I didn't renew office 365 either.
I barely hit 10 GB and most of it was photo uploads I didn't really care about.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I accepted the request to keep my large storage but honestly I barely use it. I upload things here and there. Usually pictures that I share to one drive so I can use them on desktop.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Thankfully because I frequent this site regularly, I was able to know about, and complete, the request needed to keep my bonus amounts. I often go through periods of photo/video taking so it's nice to know I still have some reserve room for the future.

I also let my free Office 365 subscription expire because I really don't use it. The free version is more than enough as I seldom have much need to create even simple documents, let alone sophisticated ones. If in the future I suddenly have a need for the full features of Office 365 then I will be more than happy to pay the subscription.

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I bought office 365 home (includes licenses for five machines, each user gets 1TB of storage). For me (us) this is perfect.

fayeq alamin

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft is just killing Lumia. People still use Windows phone because of its easy cross Device sharing through OneDrive. Microsoft is killing wp by reducing free storage form 30gb(15+15) to only 5 gb . RIP MICROSOFT MOBILE.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I guess i missed the boat on being grandfathered in. I received an email about my storage being reduced in 30 days earlier today. Not in a position to do a subscription at the moment. I'll find something as i dont want to lose all my uploaded pictures. I did have 1TB of storage from the 365 subscription I was on, but it hasn't been renewed.

hardywang

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I have 40gb in total for free but I barely used 4gb. I still have 1 year office 365 subscription from my Lumia 950xl purchase but I never activated it, I don't feel I need it.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I guess i missed the boat on being grandfathered in. I received an email about my storage being reduced in 30 days earlier today. Not in a position to do a subscription at the moment. I'll find something as i dont want to lose all my uploaded pictures. I did have 1TB of storage from the 365 subscription I was on, but it hasn't been renewed.

your stored pictures stay there, they're not removed. You just can't add anything more

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
your stored pictures stay there, they're not removed. You just can't add anything more
Is this confirmed because according to this article below, Microsoft will delete them after one year:

Microsoft begins cutting OneDrive storage accounts back to 5GB

I am sure I've read that before as well. It wouldn't surprise me, since it could be abused ie buy a subscription for one year, fill the TB with as much stuff as you can, and then leave it as a permanent archive without paying.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is this confirmed because according to this article below, Microsoft will delete them after one year:

I am sure I've read that before as well. It wouldn't surprise me, since it could be abused ie buy a subscription for one year, fill the TB with as much stuff as you can, and then leave it as a permanent archive without paying.

I've actually never seen any mention of that one-year countdown before and assumed it was after some extended period of time. Guess I'm not surprised though.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

That's the first I've heard of it as well - though the article seems very recent - today in fact.

Let's wait for more confirmation on the same

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss