Files in subfolders not visible on the web

Paul Barrett 52

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
There is something odd going on with Onedrive (not the business version). And I need to get to the bottom of this because if I can't solve it then I will be forced to abandon my proposed subscription to Office 365. I have emailed support on this but thought I would also post here in case anyone knows a fix for this.

On win 10, I copied my documents folder to the Onedrive cloud folder. The original folder comprised 2.67Gb of data and 1163 files, and the target Onedrive folder matches it (as you would expect).

If I go to the Onedrive web page, the used space comprises 2.59Gb - close enough to assume that all the files had transferred OK. However the only files that appeared were those in the root folder. Whilst the sub folder structure has been created, all the sub folders are empty. Only 61 files are present (all in the root). Yet the missing files must be there on the system - if the capacity used stat is to be believed.

I tried repeating the upload by dragging and dropping the documents folder onto the cloud. And a process kicked off confirming it was copying over a thousand files. That process completed with the exception of one file that was too big for the available space - an outlook pst file. The capacity used remained at 2.59Gb so I assume the system recognised the files as copies and did not replicate them. But the visible files in the web page remained the same (and yes, I did refresh the page).

Next I went to one of the sub folders on the Onedrive cloud folder on my PC and dragged and dropped the contents of the subfolder to its sibling on the cloud service. The files copied OK, and appeared in the subfolder. But I can't possibly do this for all the files I propose to copy up to the cloud - it would take forever!

Also, despite the fact that the files I copied manually comprised only 11.91 MB, the capacity used on Onedrive cloud has leapt from 2.59 GB to 4.33 GB. So, 11.91MB of files are being counted as 1.74GB of storage space. This is alarming as it seems the capacity used stat, on which the pricing of plans is based, is unreliable.

I have seen various threads on this topic but all seem to reach the point where Microsoft say the issue has been fixed. Not for me it hasn't!

Any assistance gratefully received.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss