Move files from NAS to cloud only?

Troy Bruder

Mar 15, 2017
Visit site
I'm a bit confused by OneDrive. I have 1TB of storage available to me as an Office365 user. I want to move files from my mapped drive NAS device to OneDrive and NOT have those files on my nas any more. I'm trying to free-up space on my NAS. Syncing isn't necessary nor is it ultra important if I lose this data. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to make this happen. Please advise!

//Brew

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
After signing into and configuring OneDrive on your machine, you just drag and drop the files/folders into your OneDrive folder. Once they are copied delete them from your NAS.

ZjemCiKootka

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
Nah, I tried. As soon as u try to delete anything from the folder it gets deleted from the cloud, and folder is occupying disk space.

Edit. Ok I think I found the solution, after U upload ur files simply uncheck synchronization of the folders and u can enjoy free disk space.

Last edited:

Troy Bruder

Mar 15, 2017
Visit site
After signing into and configuring OneDrive on your machine, you just drag and drop the files/folders into your OneDrive folder. Once they are copied delete them from your NAS.

This method tries to create a copy (to sync) on my C: Drive.... which doesn't have enough free space.

I guess I have to upload using the Browser then download via the Browser if I want this to work.... I was hoping to be able to see the files in Explorer but it seems that would only work via a Sync setup. bummer :(

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Open web browser. Navigate to your OneDrive account. Upload data from the web browser. Delete contents after it finishes uploading. Not as easy, but does the job. Try it with a few test files and folders first.

Nvm. Looks like your last post specified this already.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, unfortunately you have to have enough space on the hard drive where your OneDrive folder is. Once uploaded via web you can then configure which folders you want to synh like ZjemCIKootka said; which is what I do.

My desktop has a 4TB drive that has ALL of my OneDrive files and folders synced. My SP3 has a 128GB SSD so I only sync the folders and files I need. If I need to access anything else, I either go through the OneDrive app, or I sync the folder I need, then unsync it when I'm done.

You'll find that most other cloud services work the same way.

Here is the link to the OneDrive app from the App Store.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...%2Fp%2Fonedrive%2F9wzdncrfj1p3&token=Oacswz_B)

It allows you to drag and drop files but not folders.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99