RIM is dying

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Awful Q3. Profits down 71%. Awful Q4 guidance. They'll be bought out / acquired at some point next year.

Windows Phone will be the 3rd smartphone ecosystem by default going into next year, lets see if Microsoft can capitalize

QNX / BB10 smartphones in 2nd Half 2012; RIM = Dead

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
They are dead as the standalone company we now know them as. I'm certain they'll be acquired or bought out next year. The management is so bad that it's going to take someone external to right the ship, and the current stock price is too tempting for the sharks not to start swimming close

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Some kind of merger is not out of the question. Companies restructure all the time. Still, it's a far cry from death.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
RIM int gona die any time soon

99% of of business sells are Blackberry phones.

my team alone ships out about 50 BB a day , 1-5 Iphone , 1-5 Android...... ( on business accounts )

but consumer side is the opposite. RIM might shrink but they wont die.

not yet any ways. and if BB10 bring in more interactive Multy media ( like iphone and WP ) they will come right back.

1. i have friend that have a BB 100% for the BBM... BBM alone can keep them alive.. hehe

2. they have the BEST e-mail system in the world.

3. they compress the data so like 100MB on a BB is like 300MB on a WP or Iphone

4. they have the BEST security system in mobile.

RIM has allot going for them. i really dont see them DIEING any time soon , maybe int he LONG run ( 5-10 years ) if they dont step up the game

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
RIM isn't going anywhere any time soon... But I do think 2012 will be the year WP needs to go hard or go home.

Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any clue how many companies RIM has acquired and how much they really have their hands in? They handle alot more than BlackBerry devices. I should point out that declining sales on a scale which revolves around the US (and more specifically consumer sales) aren't exactly a crushing defeat as BlackBerry is still considered a dominant device in many other countries, not to mention the only brand of device that holds many high-grade security certs, such as FIPS.

Barring that, their purchase of QnX is epic too, because there are alot of technoligies in this world with QnX onboard, industrial, government and commercial. Who do you suppose is getting paid for that licensing?

RIM is not a hot company in the consumer market obviously, at present, but so what? There's alot of other aspects of technology companies to consider and RIM has it's role. They're not going anywhere.

CommanderElvis

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any clue how many companies RIM has acquired and how much they really have their hands in? They handle alot more than BlackBerry devices. I should point out that declining sales on a scale which revolves around the US (and more specifically consumer sales) aren't exactly a crushing defeat as BlackBerry is still considered a dominant device in many other countries, not to mention the only brand of device that holds many high-grade security certs, such as FIPS.

Barring that, their purchase of QnX is epic too, because there are alot of technoligies in this world with QnX onboard, industrial, government and commercial. Who do you suppose is getting paid for that licensing?

RIM is not a hot company in the consumer market obviously, at present, but so what? There's alot of other aspects of technology companies to consider and RIM has it's role. They're not going anywhere.

Buying and owning what RIM does is an asset, only if they know what to do with those acquisitions. At this point, it appears they don't. BB 10 originally slated for Sept 2011, then late Q1, 2012, now late 2012. Not holding my breath for the Feb 2012 update on my PlayBook either. Arrogance will kill a company-it staggered Microsoft. Fortunately they had a level of diversification that did help them to survive, something RIM lacks.

1iam5mith

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
BB10 Will 100% Fail ... FLAT LINE ....

I Think A Merger Between Microsoft And RIM Will Be Best, UI Of Windows, IM Of Blackberry, Email Of Both ! ... Then They Smartphone Market Will Be Dominated By Microsift/RIM!!

Although Apple And RIM Merger Would Be Great ( Although It Would Be More Like An Aquisition ) iPhones With BBM And And Some Keyboard/Touch Phones With IOS ... It Would Be Great, Both Companys Have NEVER Licenced Their OS's For 3rd Party Hardware, So A Mix Of The two Would Fit Quite Well ....

Well Thats Just My Opinion, But What Is For Certain Is That RIM Will Be Sold, Merged, Or Bankcorupt By June 2012 ... Mark My Words Lol Stocks From 80 To 12.5 In Less Than A Year .... Bye Bye Berry :)

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I could see Nokia but I have a hard time imaging how Microsoft would transform RIM back into the powerhouse they once were. Pre-WP7 I could understand but re-organizing RIM and pushing WP7 could be pretty taxing for even Microsoft. I see a lot more money lost before money gained. Furthermore, the Blackberry form factor doesn't work at all for WP7. This would be like MS re-buying Danger.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
14M units shipped in Q3 down to 11M in Q4
Revenue down 19% sequentially
Net Loss of $125M before adjustments

Circling the drain. They need a Nokia moment

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that many people have work Blackberries in addition to their personal phones, so RIM doesn't necessarily compete directly with Android/WP/iPhone as much as you might think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa