Leaving WP and Sprint

patters01

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen-

After spending five months with WP, the digitizer on my HTC Arrive stopped working. The keyboard is unresponsive, data doesn't work... After spending a total of 26 hours on the phone and being bounced around different Sprint stores in my area... I decided to contact the Executive Relations Department, request a release without obligation from my contract.

I am sorry to say good bye to the WP world, it's been such a wonderful experience with y'all! I'm moving to Android and the Galaxy Nexus on AT&T.

Bye bye now.

steve70

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear your leaving. I don't blame you for leaving Sprint or moving on from the Arrive. I did both and went to ATT&T for the Titan. Just got the wife to switch from the EVO3D to a white Lumia 900. She's never been happier. Hope you've tried out the other WP7 devices offered. I wish you the best of luck.Your always welcome back here. Great people and a great place to be.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I understand why you are leaving Sprint, and why you don't have any love for the Arrive (although **** does happen), are they good reasons to blame the WP operating system? I mean, it sound like you had some hardware problems that HTC should have taken care of with the 1 year warranty. If you send it back, they will repair it. Then you can sell it and someone will discover WP all over again.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

patters01

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm not complaining about the operating system at all!

In my humble (albeit worthless) opinion, it is one of the most intuitive, smooth, and fresh operating systems on the market today.

The problem is quite simply... It's too fresh, I require a bit more maturity for my business needs, I require more services from my carrier... Sprint isn't providing that. If Sprint had another WP in their lineup, I would consider switching to that, but unfortunately... They don't.

I requested that Sprint repair my device in the local Sprint Repair Center, they couldn't even order the parts for it. Apparently Arch Telcom (third-party Sprint reseller) forbids ordering parts beyond what Sprint supplies. This right here is what forces me to go... HUH?!? :straight:

These people have problems, I asked for them to order a replacement device, they refused because they weren't obligated to "cover non-standard operating systems" Which basically means... If you're not with iOS or Android, you're $h!T outta luck.

steve70

May 25, 2011
Visit site
OK, makes sense, your opinion to me is valid, but you just described 1 carrier and 1 phone and their lack of service. AT&T offers many WP7 choices. So why the Nexus, not that it's a bad choice for you.

patters01

May 13, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy Nexus is future-proof. As much as a phone in today's uber-competitive evironment can be. You're pretty much guaranteed that the phone will upgrade to 5.0, 6.0... and so on. The Galaxy One ran up to Gingerbread...

I want a phone that JUST WORKS, WP provided that until the phone itself fell apart. I'm not even that hard on my phones. I had a OG Palm Pre, launch day purchase, it stayed together until I upgraded to the HTC Arrive. But literally 5 months into owning the Arrive, it started acting up...

From what I've read about the Nexus, it seems to be pretty solid. I'm looking for something that will be able to stick with me for at least 2+ years.

They don't make phones like Nokia used to...

steve70

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Cool, whatever works best for you., just curious. Sorry you had a bad experience. Totally ditched Sprint but still use my Arrive as media device and never experienced any of your issues 'xecpt for a blown speaker easily replaced in store. Thanks Spencer.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
FWIW... Sprint just replaced my Arrive due to a busted power button. Local Sprint tech repair area had no problem swapping it out for another Arrive entirely (granted, it was a refurb but still it was a working replacement).

Can't blame you for getting an LTE capable GNEX however considering Sprint has abandoned us WP users.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Check out T-Mobile. They have the HTC Radar and Lumia 710. My wife has the Lumia 710 and it's fantastic. Really. The build quality of the "cheap" Lumia 710 is very good and it gets much better signal reception than my HD7.

WinPhan7

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Really sorry that you're leaving WP. I too switched because of my 7 Pro, which is the same thing as your Arrive, but through US Cellular. I switched to AT&T where I got Titan's for my wife and I, and a Focus S for my daughter. We have been so happy since the change!!! Can I offer the idea of trying a WP through AT&T for a week, if you don't like it you still can get an Android. I think that you'll be amazed at the difference between the Titan or the Lumia as compared to the Arrive.

Sent from WinPhan7.5! using Board Express

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
The Galaxy Nexus is future-proof. As much as a phone in today's uber-competitive evironment can be. You're pretty much guaranteed that the phone will upgrade to 5.0, 6.0... and so on. The Galaxy One ran up to Gingerbread...

I want a phone that JUST WORKS, WP provided that until the phone itself fell apart. I'm not even that hard on my phones. I had a OG Palm Pre, launch day purchase, it stayed together until I upgraded to the HTC Arrive. But literally 5 months into owning the Arrive, it started acting up...

From what I've read about the Nexus, it seems to be pretty solid. I'm looking for something that will be able to stick with me for at least 2+ years.

They don't make phones like Nokia used to...

Android doesn't "just work". Be prepared to tweak the bejesus out of it to get decent battery life and functionality. And I don't mean an initial set-it-and-forget-it either. I'm talking constantly monitoring background processes, killing apps, messing with connectivity, etc. I predict you'll be back. Probably before Apollo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa