Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cgk
  1. JPDVM2014's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    306 Posts
       #1  
    I love my Lumia 900, and would never give it up for an Android phone, but I was playing with my friends Nexus 7 the other day, and it is a pretty nice device. I already have an iPad and a HP Touchpad, but I don't really like the 10 inch tablets. I mainly want something to read on, and I find them too hard to hold for extended periods of time. I was planning on just buying a kindle, but for a little more I could get a nexus 7, and be able to read and do more. Plus, I'm a tech geek, and it would give me the ability to play with all the new android developments.
  2. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,706 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,271 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by JPDVM2014 View Post
    I love my Lumia 900, and would never give it up for an Android phone, but I was playing with my friends Nexus 7 the other day, and it is a pretty nice device. I already have an iPad and a HP Touchpad, but I don't really like the 10 inch tablets. I mainly want something to read on, and I find them too hard to hold for extended periods of time. I was planning on just buying a kindle, but for a little more I could get a nexus 7, and be able to read and do more. Plus, I'm a tech geek, and it would give me the ability to play with all the new android developments.
    dude. don't get it yet. just wait for the surface. it's worth spending on a surface than the nexus 7
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

    Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

    Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

    [IMG][/IMG]
  3. jaj324's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    #3  
    Everything I've read about the Nexus 7 makes me NOT want one. Apparently google cut every corner possible to get the retail down to $199. It's cheaply made. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus may have cost twice as much but it is very well built.

    Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
  4. JPDVM2014's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    306 Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by 12Danny123 View Post
    dude. don't get it yet. just wait for the surface. it's worth spending on a surface than the nexus 7
    The Surface will be providing a different service than the nexus 7, like I said in my original post, I already have two 10" tablets that I hardly ever use because I would rather just uase a laptop. I'm looking at the Nexus as a portable tablet instead of buying just an ereader.


    Quote Originally Posted by jaj324 View Post
    Everything I've read about the Nexus 7 makes me NOT want one. Apparently google cut every corner possible to get the retail down to $199. It's cheaply made. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus may have cost twice as much but it is very well built.

    Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
    From the reviews I have read, the hardware is pretty good, except for some QC issues. Unless you mean no USB, HDMI, or expandable memory? No doubt the Samsung is better, but the appeal of the nexus 7 over a kindle touch is that it is only $50 more for a more feature rich device. If I was buying a tablet, just for the sake of a tablet, I would look at the Samsung, but since I was in the market for an ereader, the nexus 7 seems like a steal.
  5. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,706 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,271 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by JPDVM2014 View Post
    The Surface will be providing a different service than the nexus 7, like I said in my original post, I already have two 10" tablets that I hardly ever use because I would rather just uase a laptop. I'm looking at the Nexus as a portable tablet instead of buying just an ereader.




    From the reviews I have read, the hardware is pretty good, except for some QC issues. Unless you mean no USB, HDMI, or expandable memory? No doubt the Samsung is better, but the appeal of the nexus 7 over a kindle touch is that it is only $50 more for a more feature rich device. If I was buying a tablet, just for the sake of a tablet, I would look at the Samsung, but since I was in the market for an ereader, the nexus 7 seems like a steal.
    but can't you wait for what microsoft and other Oems have first. take those people that produce the nook R&B I think. you should see what they have first man.
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

    Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

    Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

    [IMG][/IMG]
  6. JPDVM2014's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    306 Posts
       #6  
    I CAN wait...but wanting to wait is the problem. I would just hate to wait and never have a 7" WinRT tablet come out. That is the only thing holding me back from the nexus, I don't want to have to manage two ecosystems. Especially when I will most likely never have another android device.
  7. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,706 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,271 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by JPDVM2014 View Post
    I CAN wait...but wanting to wait is the problem. I would just hate to wait and never have a 7" WinRT tablet come out. That is the only thing holding me back from the nexus, I don't want to have to manage two ecosystems. Especially when I will most likely never have another android device.
    But dude. just use your ipad for a while. it's still a good product. and it's worth waiting for a something from B&N. honestly you'll be happy with it.
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

    Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

    Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

    [IMG][/IMG]
  8. CommonBlob's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    160 Posts
    #8  
    Win8 tablet for me. No vis studio, no usb, no sell. As nice as it looks.

    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
  9. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts
    #9  
    Not only thinking about it but picked one up yesterday - android still has things I don't like but for 179 for a 16gb tablet of this spec I am very happy with it, the main thing for me is how it goes in my blazer pocket no problem and highly portable and I am finding I am already reading a lot of content on it. I had a touchpad and there is a ipad here but for Lying on the sofa 7" is the sweet spot for me.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  10. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,204 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,376 Global Posts
    #10  
    There have been reports of a display problem with the Nexus 7:

    Google Nexus 7 Display Problems Reported | PCWorld
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  11. Dagolara's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    585 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    #11  
    I got it to tide me over until the new Kindle Fire and Surface tablets are out and am pretty pleased with it.
    GT: ChaddMaia
  12. GekkoAce's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    393 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by JPDVM2014 View Post
    I love my Lumia 900, and would never give it up for an Android phone, but I was playing with my friends Nexus 7 the other day, and it is a pretty nice device. I already have an iPad and a HP Touchpad, but I don't really like the 10 inch tablets. I mainly want something to read on, and I find them too hard to hold for extended periods of time. I was planning on just buying a kindle, but for a little more I could get a nexus 7, and be able to read and do more. Plus, I'm a tech geek, and it would give me the ability to play with all the new android developments.
    I have been trying out a Galaxy Nexus with Jellybean (GSM unlocked from the Google Play store).
    I would NEVER get the Nexus 7. I'm glad I have this phone so I can keep up with what's going on with Android, but all the software fragmentation drives me nuts. I could probably get some help over at Android Central for some of my issues, but I really don't care enough to go ask, and from previous experiences asking Android questions, the users over ther are not as nice and easy-going as WP users.

    Ok... So here's why I hate and like my Nexus:
    -Consistent Force Closes in various apps
    -I can't use my Zune Pass
    -I hate being scared to install free apps because of possible malware (even when browsing the Play store)
    -Everything seems VERY fragmented, even built in functionality seems like it was created in pieces (some of that seems fixed with Jellybean, mainly the camera to photo viewing/sharing)
    -People complain about WP's background tasks... But at least I know what I'm getting with WP background tasks. I never know what's going on with things in the background of Android, or if an app will randomly quit when I'm not using it. For example: If I'm using Google's "Listen" app to listen podcasts and I close it to running in the background, sometimes it will randomly completely close and I'll have to re-launch the app to finish the podcast.
    -Podcasts... Google's "Listen" app is HORRIBLE. I rarely ever downloads a podcast or auto refreshes the feeds.
    -The face unlock rarely works. It's a useless novelty.
    -I hate the Gallery picture/video viewer. Hitting the back button I never know if it is going to take me back to the browser window I came from, or to some random picture I had open at some point.
    -Battery life sucks (I have to charge it daily.. or else..).

    I'm sure there's more negatives.. The final negative thing I will say is that my wife and I have Kindle Fires. We stopped using them and they are pretty much just toddler game machines for the kids now. They are even more buggy, crazy and only have access to the Amazon store, not Google Play.

    The positives: The screen is amazing. It makes me sad to still see the 480 x 800 when I use my Omnia or Titan. There are more apps available, but like I said.. I'm scared to poke around the app store too much because of malware.

    Hope that helps. It was more of a rant than anything, but I don't want to invest the time hacking and tinkering to make the Nexus work the way I want it.
  13. GekkoAce's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    393 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by gekkoace View Post
    I have been trying out a Galaxy Nexus with Jellybean (GSM unlocked from the Google Play store).
    I would NEVER get the Nexus 7. I'm glad I have this phone so I can keep up with what's going on with Android, but all the software fragmentation drives me nuts. I could probably get some help over at Android Central for some of my issues, but I really don't care enough to go ask, and from previous experiences asking Android questions, the users over ther are not as nice and easy-going as WP users.

    Ok... So here's why I hate and like my Nexus:
    -Consistent Force Closes in various apps
    -I can't use my Zune Pass
    -I hate being scared to install free apps because of possible malware (even when browsing the Play store)
    -Everything seems VERY fragmented, even built in functionality seems like it was created in pieces (some of that seems fixed with Jellybean, mainly the camera to photo viewing/sharing)
    -People complain about WP's background tasks... But at least I know what I'm getting with WP background tasks. I never know what's going on with things in the background of Android, or if an app will randomly quit when I'm not using it. For example: If I'm using Google's "Listen" app to listen podcasts and I close it to running in the background, sometimes it will randomly completely close and I'll have to re-launch the app to finish the podcast.
    -Podcasts... Google's "Listen" app is HORRIBLE. I rarely ever downloads a podcast or auto refreshes the feeds.
    -The face unlock rarely works. It's a useless novelty.
    -I hate the Gallery picture/video viewer. Hitting the back button I never know if it is going to take me back to the browser window I came from, or to some random picture I had open at some point.
    -Battery life sucks (I have to charge it daily.. or else..).

    I'm sure there's more negatives.. The final negative thing I will say is that my wife and I have Kindle Fires. We stopped using them and they are pretty much just toddler game machines for the kids now. They are even more buggy, crazy and only have access to the Amazon store, not Google Play.

    The positives: The screen is amazing. It makes me sad to still see the 480 x 800 when I use my Omnia or Titan. There are more apps available, but like I said.. I'm scared to poke around the app store too much because of malware.

    Hope that helps. It was more of a rant than anything, but I don't want to invest the time hacking and tinkering to make the Nexus work the way I want it.
    Plus... We've made it this long.. Why give in now?! Just wait for the Surface! It's going to be AMAZING.
    Our PC is being held together with duct tape. I'm praying it lasts till the Surface is out :)
  14. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    There have been reports of a display problem with the Nexus 7:

    Google Nexus 7 Display Problems Reported | PCWorld
    I have never seen anything major tech release without such problems - without sales figures it is impossible to tell if the represents 10% or 0.1% that is before you get into selection bias (people with no problems generally don't register for forums to report that they have no problem).

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    palandri likes this.
  15. thecaringkind's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    #15  
    I LOVE MY NEXUS 7. Android is a perfectly fine OS on a tablet especially on the 7" form factor. It is very fluid and loads up just about anything I throw at it. Would I like a tablet with Metro on it? Sure. From what I see of the Surface? No way. Too expensive. Especially in light of what is already available. In any event I am enjoying the Nexus experience. But NOTHING but Windows for my cell phones!
  16. cedarlog's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    #16  
    Nope im waiting for MS Surface
  17. lippidp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    415 Posts
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    #17  
    No. Nor any tablet. Phone + laptop is enough. Don't even care about TV anymore. There are so many better things to do that don't involve screens.
  18. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #18  
    Personally, I couldn't care less about an Asus tablet. I find them ugly and I've had bad experiences with Asus in past. If you're after a 7" consumption device, it's the best choice out there. Remember, Windows tablets may not target that size - I don't think there's been a single announced Windows 8 device under 10".

    I see my future computing setup to be: desktop, convertible / Surface, phone. This covers pretty much all my needs, unless I want to LAN at a friend's house.
  19. mafu6's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    #19  
    Get what you can want!

Posting Permissions