Anyone thinking about a Nexus 7?

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I love my Lumia 900, and would never give it up for an Android phone, but I was playing with my friends Nexus 7 the other day, and it is a pretty nice device. I already have an iPad and a HP Touchpad, but I don't really like the 10 inch tablets. I mainly want something to read on, and I find them too hard to hold for extended periods of time. I was planning on just buying a kindle, but for a little more I could get a nexus 7, and be able to read and do more. Plus, I'm a tech geek, and it would give me the ability to play with all the new android developments.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I love my Lumia 900, and would never give it up for an Android phone, but I was playing with my friends Nexus 7 the other day, and it is a pretty nice device. I already have an iPad and a HP Touchpad, but I don't really like the 10 inch tablets. I mainly want something to read on, and I find them too hard to hold for extended periods of time. I was planning on just buying a kindle, but for a little more I could get a nexus 7, and be able to read and do more. Plus, I'm a tech geek, and it would give me the ability to play with all the new android developments.
dude. don't get it yet. just wait for the surface. it's worth spending on a surface than the nexus 7

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
Everything I've read about the Nexus 7 makes me NOT want one. Apparently google cut every corner possible to get the retail down to $199. It's cheaply made. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus may have cost twice as much but it is very well built.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
dude. don't get it yet. just wait for the surface. it's worth spending on a surface than the nexus 7

The Surface will be providing a different service than the nexus 7, like I said in my original post, I already have two 10" tablets that I hardly ever use because I would rather just uase a laptop. I'm looking at the Nexus as a portable tablet instead of buying just an ereader.

Everything I've read about the Nexus 7 makes me NOT want one. Apparently google cut every corner possible to get the retail down to $199. It's cheaply made. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus may have cost twice as much but it is very well built.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

From the reviews I have read, the hardware is pretty good, except for some QC issues. Unless you mean no USB, HDMI, or expandable memory? No doubt the Samsung is better, but the appeal of the nexus 7 over a kindle touch is that it is only $50 more for a more feature rich device. If I was buying a tablet, just for the sake of a tablet, I would look at the Samsung, but since I was in the market for an ereader, the nexus 7 seems like a steal.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
The Surface will be providing a different service than the nexus 7, like I said in my original post, I already have two 10" tablets that I hardly ever use because I would rather just uase a laptop. I'm looking at the Nexus as a portable tablet instead of buying just an ereader.

From the reviews I have read, the hardware is pretty good, except for some QC issues. Unless you mean no USB, HDMI, or expandable memory? No doubt the Samsung is better, but the appeal of the nexus 7 over a kindle touch is that it is only $50 more for a more feature rich device. If I was buying a tablet, just for the sake of a tablet, I would look at the Samsung, but since I was in the market for an ereader, the nexus 7 seems like a steal.
but can't you wait for what microsoft and other Oems have first. take those people that produce the nook R&B I think. you should see what they have first man.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I CAN wait...but wanting to wait is the problem. I would just hate to wait and never have a 7" WinRT tablet come out. That is the only thing holding me back from the nexus, I don't want to have to manage two ecosystems. Especially when I will most likely never have another android device.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I CAN wait...but wanting to wait is the problem. I would just hate to wait and never have a 7" WinRT tablet come out. That is the only thing holding me back from the nexus, I don't want to have to manage two ecosystems. Especially when I will most likely never have another android device.
But dude. just use your ipad for a while. it's still a good product. and it's worth waiting for a something from B&N. honestly you'll be happy with it.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Not only thinking about it but picked one up yesterday - android still has things I don't like but for ?179 for a 16gb tablet of this spec I am very happy with it, the main thing for me is how it goes in my blazer pocket no problem and highly portable and I am finding I am already reading a lot of content on it. I had a touchpad and there is a ipad here but for Lying on the sofa 7" is the sweet spot for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been trying out a Galaxy Nexus with Jellybean (GSM unlocked from the Google Play store).
I would NEVER get the Nexus 7. I'm glad I have this phone so I can keep up with what's going on with Android, but all the software fragmentation drives me nuts. I could probably get some help over at Android Central for some of my issues, but I really don't care enough to go ask, and from previous experiences asking Android questions, the users over ther are not as nice and easy-going as WP users.

Ok... So here's why I hate and like my Nexus:
-Consistent Force Closes in various apps
-I can't use my Zune Pass
-I hate being scared to install free apps because of possible malware (even when browsing the Play store)
-Everything seems VERY fragmented, even built in functionality seems like it was created in pieces (some of that seems fixed with Jellybean, mainly the camera to photo viewing/sharing)
-People complain about WP's background tasks... But at least I know what I'm getting with WP background tasks. I never know what's going on with things in the background of Android, or if an app will randomly quit when I'm not using it. For example: If I'm using Google's "Listen" app to listen podcasts and I close it to running in the background, sometimes it will randomly completely close and I'll have to re-launch the app to finish the podcast.
-Podcasts... Google's "Listen" app is HORRIBLE. I rarely ever downloads a podcast or auto refreshes the feeds.
-The face unlock rarely works. It's a useless novelty.
-I hate the Gallery picture/video viewer. Hitting the back button I never know if it is going to take me back to the browser window I came from, or to some random picture I had open at some point.
-Battery life sucks (I have to charge it daily.. or else..).

I'm sure there's more negatives.. The final negative thing I will say is that my wife and I have Kindle Fires. We stopped using them and they are pretty much just toddler game machines for the kids now. They are even more buggy, crazy and only have access to the Amazon store, not Google Play.

The positives: The screen is amazing. It makes me sad to still see the 480 x 800 when I use my Omnia or Titan. There are more apps available, but like I said.. I'm scared to poke around the app store too much because of malware.

Hope that helps. It was more of a rant than anything, but I don't want to invest the time hacking and tinkering to make the Nexus work the way I want it.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been trying out a Galaxy Nexus with Jellybean (GSM unlocked from the Google Play store).
I would NEVER get the Nexus 7. I'm glad I have this phone so I can keep up with what's going on with Android, but all the software fragmentation drives me nuts. I could probably get some help over at Android Central for some of my issues, but I really don't care enough to go ask, and from previous experiences asking Android questions, the users over ther are not as nice and easy-going as WP users.

Ok... So here's why I hate and like my Nexus:
-Consistent Force Closes in various apps
-I can't use my Zune Pass
-I hate being scared to install free apps because of possible malware (even when browsing the Play store)
-Everything seems VERY fragmented, even built in functionality seems like it was created in pieces (some of that seems fixed with Jellybean, mainly the camera to photo viewing/sharing)
-People complain about WP's background tasks... But at least I know what I'm getting with WP background tasks. I never know what's going on with things in the background of Android, or if an app will randomly quit when I'm not using it. For example: If I'm using Google's "Listen" app to listen podcasts and I close it to running in the background, sometimes it will randomly completely close and I'll have to re-launch the app to finish the podcast.
-Podcasts... Google's "Listen" app is HORRIBLE. I rarely ever downloads a podcast or auto refreshes the feeds.
-The face unlock rarely works. It's a useless novelty.
-I hate the Gallery picture/video viewer. Hitting the back button I never know if it is going to take me back to the browser window I came from, or to some random picture I had open at some point.
-Battery life sucks (I have to charge it daily.. or else..).

I'm sure there's more negatives.. The final negative thing I will say is that my wife and I have Kindle Fires. We stopped using them and they are pretty much just toddler game machines for the kids now. They are even more buggy, crazy and only have access to the Amazon store, not Google Play.

The positives: The screen is amazing. It makes me sad to still see the 480 x 800 when I use my Omnia or Titan. There are more apps available, but like I said.. I'm scared to poke around the app store too much because of malware.

Hope that helps. It was more of a rant than anything, but I don't want to invest the time hacking and tinkering to make the Nexus work the way I want it.
Plus... We've made it this long.. Why give in now?! Just wait for the Surface! It's going to be AMAZING.
Our PC is being held together with duct tape. I'm praying it lasts till the Surface is out :)

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
There have been reports of a display problem with the Nexus 7:

Google Nexus 7 Display Problems Reported | PCWorld

I have never seen anything major tech release without such problems - without sales figures it is impossible to tell if the represents 10% or 0.1% that is before you get into selection bias (people with no problems generally don't register for forums to report that they have no problem).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I LOVE MY NEXUS 7. Android is a perfectly fine OS on a tablet especially on the 7" form factor. It is very fluid and loads up just about anything I throw at it. Would I like a tablet with Metro on it? Sure. From what I see of the Surface? No way. Too expensive. Especially in light of what is already available. In any event I am enjoying the Nexus experience. But NOTHING but Windows for my cell phones!:cool:

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
No. Nor any tablet. Phone + laptop is enough. Don't even care about TV anymore. There are so many better things to do that don't involve screens.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I couldn't care less about an Asus tablet. I find them ugly and I've had bad experiences with Asus in past. If you're after a 7" consumption device, it's the best choice out there. Remember, Windows tablets may not target that size - I don't think there's been a single announced Windows 8 device under 10".

I see my future computing setup to be: desktop, convertible / Surface, phone. This covers pretty much all my needs, unless I want to LAN at a friend's house.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb