Bored with Windows Phone

DanielCeleste

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Windows Phone almost a year ago and have been content with the OS ever since. It's buttery smoothness and quick functionality have greatly impressed me and have completely changed my thoughts about Microsoft.

Before my Windows Phone, I've owned two iPod touches and I currently own an iPad. I've come to the conclusion that it's time for me to switch*

I will probably be switching in the Fall when a new iPhone comes out (I am also fully aware of Windows Phone 8 - which seems like a good update). Are there any apps, homebrew tweaks (no interop unlock), or overall new uses and advantages for my Windows Phone that will keep me entertained for the next little while, or possibly change my mind about switching?
Thanks guys. This experience has been fun.

*This is not an invitation to dispute about different platforms. I'm just looking for some ways to keep myself entertained for now; I'll decide whether I switch or not when the time comes. On my own.

In the end I'm just looking for some iPhone-quality apps (preferably free) because I haven't been able to find any :(

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't get it. how is Wp boring. IOS has the most restrictions on an OS. I really think you should try out Wp8 first then make a opinion. you can't really make a opinion when wp8 is not out. if you do switch though hope you come back. or I doubt you would :dry

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
It's is not very clear to me what you want WP doesn't have.

What would you say are the main things an iPhone could do for you a WP can't?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
If you're bored with WP7, I can't understand why you'd switch to arguably the most boring of devices. But I see apps are a priority for you, so Apple would be a no-brainer.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Why do people want free apps? You do realise how little return a Windows Phone developer gets, comparatively? Success stories are few are far between, and the ones I've seen truly take off are not of the highest quality, and used dirty methods to get to where they are. *Taptitude*

dude if you switch would you rather have a laggy iphone for 2 years? from each IOS version comes out
EDIT: Come on. That's plain false.

Last edited:

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Why do people want free apps? You do realise how little return a Windows Phone developer gets, comparatively? Success stories are few are far between, and the ones I've seen truly take off are not of the highest quality, and used dirty methods to get to where they are. *Taptitude*

Man it's true. every version apple releases on an iphone it get's more laggy. look at my ipad 2 my ipad 2 which is IOS 4 is now running IOS 5 and it's starting to slow down. why the **** are you being so negative? huh?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Actually, I've heard complaints that some iPads are running worse on iOS5 than they did on 4 - not sure about iPhones though.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I've heard complaints that some iPads are running worse on iOS5 than they did on 4 - not sure about iPhones though.
OP is talking about buying an iPhone 5. That is unlikely to lag on iOS 7, and will be buttery smooth for twelve months of iOS 6.

My Omnia 7 struggles in most 3D titles that come out today, and games like Contract Killer are almost unplayable. Launch times of apps are long and even the search button is a full second behind my input. The Lumia 800 seems to fly, in comparison. Windows Phone isn't any better than iOS in this regard.

E

.Emi.

well i sugget you get out more the basement and see the sunlight more. the phone Works, if you are in an emergency it will call 911 like any other phone in the world. and if you stopped caring about what your neighbors phone cant or can do, or what apps it has or doesn't have, maybe you wouldn't write retarded threads in forums, like if others cared you will switch.
"keep me entertained for the next little while" oh god... if you have time to write in this forums you should be able to look for that yourself. there are things more important than some idiot who gets a phone and since it doesn't have many better looking fart apps, he will switch.
i even wonder if once you have written to a developer to put pressure so they will develop and App. i bet no, since you seem to be the ones that expect apps to come from magical gnomes, dragons and rainbows.

so my point, switch and shut up. because the phone its the same phone from 1 year ago, and there wont appear new "features" without interop unlock/homebrew apps. only 7.8 but there wont be any major features like WP8.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
well i sugget you get out more the basement and see the sunlight more. the phone Works, if you are in an emergency it will call 911 like any other phone in the world. and if you stopped caring about what your neighbors phone cant or can do, or what apps it has or doesn't have, maybe you wouldn't write retarded threads in forums, like if others cared you will switch.
"keep me entertained for the next little while" oh god... if you have time to write in this forums you should be able to look for that yourself. there are things more important than some idiot who gets a phone and since it doesn't have many better looking fart apps, he will switch.
i even wonder if once you have written to a developer to put pressure so they will develop and App. i bet no, since you seem to be the ones that expect apps to come from magical gnomes, dragons and rainbows.

so my point, switch and shut up. because the phone its the same phone from 1 year ago, and there wont appear new "features" without interop unlock/homebrew apps. only 7.8 but there wont be any major features like WP8.

win10.jpg

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what your interests are, but WP8 should bring some nice games to the platform since it shares the same core as the desktop, you'll have to buy a new WP8 device though. If zinga games are your cup of tea, words w/friends and draw something are on the way to WP7, I think they will be exclusive to Nokia for 60 or 90 days though.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
It's is not very clear to me what you want WP doesn't have.

What would you say are the main things an iPhone could do for you a WP can't?

That's what I'm wondering,I don't get why many say WP is behind when iOS actually is behind in features compared to WP.
OP is talking about buying an iPhone 5. That is unlikely to lag on iOS 7, and will be buttery smooth for twelve months of iOS 6.

My Omnia 7 struggles in most 3D titles that come out today, and games like Contract Killer are almost unplayable. Launch times of apps are long and even the search button is a full second behind my input. The Lumia 800 seems to fly, in comparison. Windows Phone isn't any better than iOS in this regard.

Contract killer runs fine for me on my HD7.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am again a little worried about the negativity on this thread. Someone on our platform is in need of a little advice and encouragement, and we are taking turns raging on him because he is considering the iPhone?

It has already been stated he is worried about apps, so our "more boring than WP" argument is already shot. The iPhone IS a glorified app launcher, and that is easily it's biggest strength. And the answer is that WP is a year or two away from being competitive in that regard. The apps we are have are fine and getting and better. But, half a million apps is tough to compete with when that is what people want. That is not a slam on WP or them, it just is the difference in OS's. Our strengths are somewhere else.

Daniel, if it is only apps that you are after, give us an idea of WHAT you are missing. And also include what it is you still like about WP. Either we can help, or the iPhone may be a better decision.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I am again a little worried about the negativity on this thread. Someone on our platform is in need of a little advice and encouragement, and we are taking turns raging on him because he is considering the iPhone?

It has already been stated he is worried about apps, so our "more boring than WP" argument is already shot. The iPhone IS a glorified app launcher, and that is easily it's biggest strength. And the answer is that WP is a year or two away from being competitive in that regard. The apps we are have are fine and getting and better. But, half a million apps is tough to compete with when that is what people want. That is not a slam on WP or them, it just is the difference in OS's. Our strengths are somewhere else.

Daniel, if it is only apps that you are after, give us an idea of WHAT you are missing. And also include what it is you still like about WP. Either we can help, or the iPhone may be a better decision.

You shouldn't need "encouragement." Are we now in grade school? Who knows what this guy wants because he has yet to tell us anything useful. Is he expecting us to beg him to stay? Really? He says he doesn't want this to be a OS war but that is pretty much what he asked for.

The Liaison

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I am bored with WP7 because of lack of screen shot support, file management including not attaching actual files to email. The Zune desktop software is irritating me. I'd rather go back to manually managing Files and I think spotify might be a better option.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Windows Phone almost a year ago and have been content with the OS ever since. It's buttery smoothness and quick functionality have greatly impressed me and have completely changed my thoughts about Microsoft.

Before my Windows Phone, I've owned two iPod touches and I currently own an iPad. I've come to the conclusion that it's time for me to switch*

I will probably be switching in the Fall when a new iPhone comes out (I am also fully aware of Windows Phone 8 - which seems like a good update). Are there any apps, homebrew tweaks (no interop unlock), or overall new uses and advantages for my Windows Phone that will keep me entertained for the next little while, or possibly change my mind about switching?
Thanks guys. This experience has been fun.

*This is not an invitation to dispute about different platforms. I'm just looking for some ways to keep myself entertained for now; I'll decide whether I switch or not when the time comes. On my own.

In the end I'm just looking for some iPhone-quality apps (preferably free) because I haven't been able to find any :(

It's a tricky question because you've got major OS updates coming from both iOS and WP. WP is the superior communications device (calls, email, texting, social integration), iOS gets the nod in media content (podcasts available, movies, I think music is comparable) and app selection.

Although, if the Windows8 tablets don't take off, it could be curtains for WP8 because of the lack of adoption.

I'd say if possible try to pick one or the other up off contract and give them each a whirl. I will be honest, the new iPhone will be tough to resist.

And for the love of Pete, if someone wants to try another OS, there's really no need to be an *** and jump all over them.

It's only a phone people, honestly. You turn the phone off, and the OS doesn't exist!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Grab an iPhone 5 first.

When you get bored (if you do) grab 2nd wave of WP8 phones. This way the techy inside you will be much happier!

Grab the cakes wherever you can ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss