Symbian users and Ex-Symbian users please help

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I am going to buy a Nokia 700 for traveling outside the country and I would like to know some pro's and con's of Symbian. I have researched about it but never had hands on experience with it. Some Belle FP2 users or Belle FP1 users comments would be welcomed.. What apps to install, tweaks and other enhancements will be helpful as well. Thank you in advance.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I have a Nokia N8 and my wife has a Nokia 808. Use the weather application that comes with the phone. Update maps to where you are travelling to. CNN & France 24 news works good for me and my wife. Vlingo works well for voice to text applications. NeoReader works well for scanning QR codes. Nokia internet radio works well. It will come with a couple of games but you can get more from the OVI store Nokia Store: Download games, themes, wallpaper, ringtones and mobile apps on your Nokia phone

Any other questions?

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your recommendations. Yes Does Symbian has Office (I might have to work on the go) maybe Not MSFT but something like Openoffice, also is Nokia Reading, Nook, or Kindle available? Oh and a PDF reader.. Thank you again

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for your recommendations. Yes Does Symbian has Office (I might have to work on the go) maybe Not MSFT but something like Openoffice, also is Nokia Reading, Nook, or Kindle available? Oh and a PDF reader.. Thank you again

it has QuickOffice, which is like OpenOffice or LibreOffice. It has a Adobe reader. I haven't tried using any of the reader applications so I can't tell you what they support, but I know there are reader applications available in the OVI store.

iamSherlocked

May 19, 2012
Visit site

It has MS office, ya correct, the official Microsoft office with OneNote, word, excel, ppt and lynk. It only lacks an official SkyDrive app. I hv Nokia 700. Its tiny slim phone, helpful in all respect. I love to listen music on it, due to Dolby headphone enhancements. It lacks serious amount of apps but as U R looking for backup phone. It will work fine. Tell me what kind of apps U wanna know about

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It has MS office, ya correct, the official Microsoft office with OneNote, word, excel, ppt and lynk. It only lacks an official SkyDrive app. I hv Nokia 700. Its tiny slim phone, helpful in all respect. I love to listen music on it, due to Dolby headphone enhancements. It lacks serious amount of apps but as U R looking for backup phone. It will work fine. Tell me what kind of apps U wanna know about

You're right, it has OfficeMobile now. I forgot about that. It came with an update. Thanks for adding that. So he'll have QuickOffice or OfficeMobile to use.

The Myst

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Long time Symbian user. And even though I switched to Lumia 920 - still keep my Nokia E7 for international travel. (Hate the locked system in USA).

In my opinion, with FP2, base Symbian is pretty elegant OS. It support multiple home screen (customizable background) which can be populated with shortcuts and widgets. I do not use to much widgets, but some external widgets that i installed are:
- Comingnext (for showing things on calendar - I prefer the look compared to default widget)
- World Clock (I support various world zone - this help for quick check on local time)

The apps are shown in Grid and can be regrouped into folder. If you like the look of folders on iPhone there is an app that can emulate that. There are also apps that can change the name / icon of other apps for further customization.

True, apps selection is sparse. But I mainly use the browser anyway to assess most services. Suggest you install Opera Mini / Mobile instead of using the stock (it's not bad, but I prefer Opera anyway).

Nokia Maps is good as usual. Do load up the internet upfront so you can access it offline.

I like using my E7 together with Nokia PC Suite on my laptop when traveling. It makes it easy to tether the internet connection through USB.
For more tips, look up older articles on allaboutsymbian.com

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you now I'll be able to work on the go.. I am still wondering about the reading apps can I get Kindle, Nook or at least Nokia Reading. Thank you :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos