Too Many OS'. Not Enough Takers.

Ayush_WP

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one who feels that with the oncoming of Ubuntu Mobile OS and Jolla (based on and developed by meego devs if ul have heard of it) and amazons own phone. Its going to be way too many OS' and not enough takers?

Personal Opinion : All of them will try and eventually the Big players will but out other OS' and combine the big features with their own. For eg. Microsoft should buy jolla. Makes so much sense.

What say?

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget about Tizen but yeah you got a point perhaps there are too many.

However when they come out there may be some good features ( or maybe not :wink:)

I think the main competition will come from BB10 :sweaty:

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
@OP:
I think your point is valid!
But still it's fine for me to have many choices as a consumer. Of course too many OS' will produce a situation where you have to choose between functions and options (and of course apps being developed for the particular os) because you can not have them all. But all in all: at least in my opinion it will lead to some kind of an evolution where only the "best os" will survive. Or at least "the best few". And this evolution will force the surviving OS' to adopt the features and options from the dying ones...

Of course this kind of a scenario is not the most realsitic one (as in history: not the noble party wins wars and gets it's part in the history books, but the stronger one!), but all in all it's just simple competition...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What say?

With the exceptions of Android, iOS, WP and Tizen, all the competing OS' are irrelevant. Even on enthusiast forums their existence is almost irrelevant. Not due to the lack of features or technical inferiority, but because the companies behind them are all small players. None of them have the means to push these products into world wide markets or attract developers. Worse still, none of them have the means to compete in OS development, the cost of which has exploded during the last few years.

RIM also suffers from this problem, as they simply can't afford to invest enough back into R&D to remain competitive. They are drawing their last breaths bringing BB10 to market. Although BB10 could make a huge splash and turn things around, it is unlikely. I suspect BB10 will do nothing more than slow RIM's downfall.

Microsoft, and to a larger degree Google, can only compete in mobile due to the huge profits they can redirect into subsidizing mobile OS development.

Last edited:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I think Samsung can slowly build up Tizen to the point of being a viable competitor and it's possible for BB10 to bring RIM back to relevance, but I don't expect much out of Jolla, Ubuntu, etc.

Ayush_WP

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Symbian users will jump to Jolla along with the qt developers.

the whole point that microsoft can take up jolla is that jolla will remain in the hardware of nokia. an their whole concept where u can swipe on a tile to get quick access actions like play/plause and next song for music tile.. call/text for a contacts tile can be very well integrated into the windows phone OS.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone else have Flight of the Conchords pop into their head after reading the title to this thread? (Sorry for getting off topic)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb