Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    Gameloft announced in OCTOBER that their games will come to windows phone soon. Well it isn't here. But guess what? BB10 announced their stuff in January and they already have most of them. They just got nova 3. I'm very disappointed. What is your reaction guys?

http://crackberry.com/gameloft-relea...-blackberry-10

To depressing to comment ...
    unstoppablekem likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakazul View Post
    To depressing to comment ...
    Ikr?

nothing........i am sure the games will come

Hilarious
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks7 View Post
    nothing........i am sure the games will come
    In 4 months?

why don't you contact gameloft?
    http://forum.gameloft.com/index.php/topic,74363.0.html

We should bombard that forum with request. :)
    unstoppablekem likes this.

that would be a start
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks7 View Post
    why don't you contact gameloft?
    I did...in December. And they said that they are "working" very hard and it will come soon.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rdubmu View Post
    http://forum.gameloft.com/index.php/topic,74363.0.html

We should bombard that forum with request. :)
    Link doesn't work with iPad (safari and puffin).
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    Link doesn't work with iPad (safari and puffin).
    I just tried the link and it works. Go to www.gameloft.com, the go to the forums.

Gameloft Forum
    Gameloft Games
    Other Platforms
    Promised WP8 Games

well ok than at least they are working on it
    Well, hasn't it been said that BB10 is made up primarily of Android apps, so maybe it's just super-simple to get these games running on that platform, where as WP8 needs actual recoding?
    a5cent likes this.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    Well, hasn't it been said that BB10 is made up primarily of Android apps, so maybe it's just super-simple to get these games running on that platform, where as WP8 needs actual recoding?
    They said wp8 would be easier to port than 7.5.

Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I was also under the assumption that it's very easy to port Android apps for BB10, this would most likely be the most logical reason, as BB doesnt even have the marketshare advantage to WP anymore, there's no real reason for them to prefer BB over WP at this point, except if one would be easier to develop for. Also, I would figure it's different teams working on the different paltforms rather than having the same people work on both at the same time, but that's just a guess.
    a5cent likes this.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    I was also under the assumption that it's very easy to port Android apps for BB10, this would most likely be the most logical reason, as BB doesnt even have the marketshare advantage to WP anymore, there's no real reason for them to prefer BB over WP at this point, except if one would be easier to develop for. Also, I would figure it's different teams working on the different paltforms rather than having the same people work on both at the same time, but that's just a guess.
    I understand, but I'm still angry.

Not surprised. Especially considering that Microsoft have done the same to it's one mobile ecosystem before with other apps.
    Thanked by:
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    They said wp8 would be easier to port than 7.5.
    Well, I don't even think porting is necessary for BB10. People said a LOT of apps going to the platform are actually Android 2.3 versions of those apps, so there must be some way to get already-made Android apps running on B10, meaning even if Windows Phone 8 is easier for porting than 7.5, BB10 might not even need it.
    a5cent likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    Well, I don't even think porting is necessary for BB10. People said a LOT of apps going to the platform are actually Android 2.3 versions of those apps, so there must be some way to get already-made Android apps running on B10, meaning even if Windows Phone 8 is easier for porting than 7.5, BB10 might not even need it.
    They are, though they are there just to bolster app numbers. They in looks and usability just horrible, with many apps not having full functionality.
    The app situation really is quite far away from WP.

that said it's a shame if the games really are available for BB10 and not WP.
  21.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by tissotti View Post
    They are, though they are there just to bolster app numbers. They in looks and usability just horrible, with many apps not having full functionality.
    The app situation really is quite far away from WP.

that said it's a shame if the games really are available for BB10 and not WP.
    This!

Global Posts
    590 Global Posts
    You guys may want to research, those are native games. Yes they are ports, but in native form. Not through a emulator.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    I was also under the assumption that it's very easy to port Android apps for BB10, this would most likely be the most logical reason, as BB doesnt even have the marketshare advantage to WP anymore, there's no real reason for them to prefer BB over WP at this point, except if one would be easier to develop for.
    Android apps only run in Blackberry via an emulated environment, and emulating Android 2.3 at that. So tons of newer content wont run and what does generally runs poorly.

There's no inherent reason why it should be easier to develop for Blackberry than Windows Phone. Both OS's are fundamentally different from Android or iOS but both feature development kits that facilitate the process. But porting is far from ever being a trivial process.

Blackberry has the advantage of having a slight edge in market share over Windows Phone. But I think the bigger driver here was that they were a lot more closely involved in getting those games ported. They likely pushed a lot harder than Microsoft did and probably covered a significant portion of the development expenses themselves. But who knows? Other factors might have come into play. Blackberry is definitely in more of a desperate situation.
    tissotti likes this.
  24.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by uselessrobot View Post
    Android apps only run in Blackberry via an emulated environment, and emulating Android 2.3 at that. So tons of newer content wont run and what does generally runs poorly.

There's no inherent reason why it should be easier to develop for Blackberry than Windows Phone. Both OS's are fundamentally different from Android or iOS but both feature development kits that facilitate the process. But porting is far from ever being a trivial process.

Blackberry has the advantage of having a slight edge in market share over Windows Phone. But I think the bigger driver here was that they were a lot more closely involved in getting those games ported. They likely pushed a lot harder than Microsoft did and probably covered a significant portion of the development expenses themselves. But who knows? Other factors might have come into play. Blackberry is definitely in more of a desperate situation.
    We can just hope these gameloft games come soon.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by uselessrobot View Post
    Yes. Yes, there is. And it's a typical Microsoft reason.

BB10, Android and iOS use OpenGL ES as a graphics library. This means that the job of porting a game between these three platforms is 80% easier than porting from any of those to WP, which uses DX11. The facepalms in this are legion:

Most of the hard work in designing and implementing a game goes happens in OpenGL (at least for graphics) and the rest is essentially reimplementing given code in various languages. However, for a port to WP8, the graphics bit will also have to be redesigned and reimplemented and that's not easy. OpenGL and DX11 are different enough that it's close to doubling the amount of work needed. Also consider that anyone good at DX11 will be working for a PC or Xbox game developer, and few of those bother with phone games (PC and Xbox use DX11 libraries as well).
    tissotti likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast