Introducing the Amazon Firefly

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Amazon’s Fire Phone Introduces Firefly, A Feature That Lets You Identify (And Buy!) Things You See In The Real World | TechCrunch

Just recently read about the Amazon Firefly what do you guys think?

I think it will be success as Amazon has many users and since is a forked version of Android it will be about to run Android Apps but will not be under Google services (Google Play store).

Ultimately, I think Amazon I heading in the right direction using Google against Google. APKs can be side loaded if Amazon App store does not have said app.

I want to try it out, as for some of the preview videos I've seen its sure has a lot of flashy stuff. Also, note that the Firefly OS is so forked it doesn't even look like Android.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
It's very expensive, it offers pretty standard hardware, the 3D thing is a pure gimmick, app support is dependent on the will of Amazon to bring the app to its store, and it's basically a buying machine designed in every aspect to make money for Amazon.

I really don't see the appeal. Well, I don't have to, it's only released in the US on AT&T anyway.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I like amazon, but I think they should be working towards getting their content working on every platform, including Windows and WP before trying to release their own hardware.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This rather hilarious article from The AV Club sums up my opinion of this phone...

Amazon proves it can also invent a telephone

Amazon announced today that it has invented a telephone. The Amazon Fire Phone is billed as “the first smartphone designed by Amazon.” Among the phone’s most distinctive features is the fact that it is made by Amazon. Industry observers were quick to note that the telephone is also not made by Apple or Samsung, which sets Amazon’s telephone apart from the phones made by those companies.

:D

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ lol. What more is there to say?

I'd love to be in a fly on the wall at Amazon's board meetings, listening to how these folks rationalize the idea of building their own phone and what advantages it brings over just integrating those features into their amazon apps for Android, iOS and WP.

It sounds ridiculous to me, but I have to assume I'm not seeing the whole picture.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anyone understands the point of this phone.... I certainly don't. Especially not with it having flagship pricing, $200 with a 24 month contract and $649 off contract. I expected at least some sort of innovation there, maybe reduced price for prime members, ad supported etc. I just can't see anyone in the market for a non-iPhone going for this. But who knows. Maybe amazon has some amazingly loyal customers whose biggest complaint is that they can't be reminded to shop there no matter where they go....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon