What would you do if Windows Phone is discontinued ?

Hawk Tartaros

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I would choose between Android or Iphone, although Iphone is overpriced but Android is laggy, i have owned both in the past so i know how they work.

However MS needs to put their own OS apps before Android and Iphone.
Change things like wifi on/off in the notification centre instead of bringing you to the wifi menu.
Support more codecs like flac and mkv.
Make android apps available for WP because this marketplace isn't going anywhere and would make me switch over to Android or Iphone in the future.

I honestly believe that when android apps will be supported it will gain a bigger market share.
Because the lack of it keeps many away or make them switch, even i'm thinking about doing so for certain apps.

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
What with Android L being released later this year and being a complete restructuring of the OS (moving to ART from the old Dalvik; Material Design; etc), I'd move to Android.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I'd probably grumpily buy an iPhone once all my WP Phones break down. I've recently tried to find something out for a friend who has a Samsung Galaxy S3. It was something really simple - how to add a birthday to a newly opened contact. I tried and tried. Looked it up in the internet and found out it wasn't possible directly on the phone. Couldn't believe it. So no Android for me.
Or I might try something new like Blackberry or Jolla. Don't where I would listen to my Audible audio books though.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't know, it would have to be between Android or iOS. I a happy to know iPhone 6 will have a bigger screen finally, but man its just such a boring OS (has no personality at all). Android is nice because it offers many levels of customization and flexibility, but the pc-management centric OS environment turns me off as I prefer WP/iOS simplistic design.

Myggen82

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Been with Nokia all my life, getting sick of MS arrogance. If Iphone 5,7 shows up, I probably are giving up on Wp. Currently using 1520 :)

Nokia5110

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
NL625 just about to loose the switch button like the N5230! Will miss iOS and droids.

Edit: May replace the SG S3 digitizer/screen and use it until it dies. That may give me time to think about the next best thing.

Last edited:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I just can't see the world falling apart the way so many others are. A bad couple quarters does not a failure make. There is no indication of a WP getting slapped down. There are new OEM's onboard. A set manufacturer in the MS family. A serious chance at half a million apps in the store by the end of next year. And WP Threshold all but official for release next year.

I love me some WP. I see a ton of upside for MS. Thank the Good Lord MS did not listen to those who wanted them to dump the XBOX and Bing in those lean early years as both have opened the door to so many other avenues of cash flow and consumers. Yes, this is a hard market to make work. But as far as I can tell, the first step to success is a vision, which MS has for WP. The next is resources, which MS has. But also extremely important: Completely ignoring those who say no to you and keep plugging along. MS has shown that over and over again. I am sure there isn't a bottomless well for WP, at some point it has to be profitable. But it had grown and grown consistently over every quarter until the 2nd quarter of 2014 and most likely this last one. No way MS is done with this.

By the way: Android is the fourth OS on my list. WP, BB10, iOS, and then Android. As much as I love BB10, I may find it hard to roll with another ecosystem that is weaker then the one WP has, but at the same time Apple is just so expensive and just so dang popular it would hurt my pride to jump on the bandwagon. So if I were to leave WP I would be in quite the decision funk.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
The question is simple : what would you do if Windows Phone 8.1 is dropped and abandoned ?

Simple return back to the iPhone.

But I think this question is not realistic.

Lol

Even if Windows Phones don't get iPhone or Android market shares numbers it will live on.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Why is the original question even being asked?? It just shows a lack of confidence in the WP platform by SOME users... I would say to them, "Switch platforms NOW, because we don't need that negativity".

The death knell has been sounded for WP since it's inception. 4 years on, and it's still here and growing. Stop reading the analyst I.T press. They know nothing!!!!

Plus, it's only a phone. As long as it can continue to make phone calls and texts etc... I would stick with my 1520

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I used to belong to Team OS/2. When IBM gave up on it, I continued using it until it didn't make sense to use it anymore (mostly because the dang PC wore out), and then switched back to Windows, since it suited my needs better than the alternatives at the time did (still does, several versions of Windows later).

If WP follows OS/2 into the sunset, when it comes time to replace my phone, I'll decide what suits my needs best then. No point in getting ahead of myself by locking in now. (FWIW, my wife and kids currently have 2 examples of the iPhone 5, an iPhone 4s, and an iPhone 4, but I don't know what they'll have then or whether that would influence me. It didn't this round, I got a Lumia 920 anyway.)

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
First thing I'd do is try to go back to a feature phone. While a smartphone is real convenient, I'd be interested how critical it has become.

JoeDizzle33

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I would probably switch to Android once my 1520 became obsolete. All my work related stuff is on Google so i would switch just for the convenience. Plus I like having a selection of phones to choose from and with android I can do that.

SB5

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I'd go to iOS since they have the best app support and I just like their UI more than ugly android (other than maybe the HTC One).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720