Steam Holiday Sale 2014 is on!

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I hope Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition gets even cheaper and Skyrim Legendary Edition, Fable Anniversary Edition, Mass Effect Deluxe Edition and some others too.

So far nothing of the current deals has caught my attention. I'm also a bit disappointed that all deals (when scrolling down and down and down and....) are just a mess to look at. No organization at all.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I picked up Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. I've enjoyed the past MGS games (haven't played 4 yet) so I was looking forward to this title.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll grab the Fallout games if they drop to $5 each for the GotY/Ultimate packs. I'll probably grab the first Borderlands' GotY release for $5 today, as my cousin and I never got the DLC (that was $40 on LIVE because Microsoft sucks at pricing years-old DLC), so we could play that before MAYBE finishing BL2 GotY on PC (after starting that on 360 as well). I don't know if I'll consider anything else. I got all of The Elder Scrolls games for $12 from Best Buy already, and my Wishlist is mostly stuff I'm not that intrigued by.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Second day, again a bit disappointed. I was under the impression that daily and flash deals were supposed to be good and exceptional. Eventhough two games from my wishlist are on sale. (Fable Anniversary Edition: not willing to pay 16€ for basically an effing texture pack with controller supportoh; Legend of Korra: fan of the show, but the game doesn't look that good....maybe for 5€).

Maybe I'm just a cheapskate but so far I'm not impressed^^ And the layout of all deals is terrible.

btw, how do you guys keep track of the games you want to buy and might want to buy? Any special strategy to stay on top of things?

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Anniversary was kinda disappointing. I found it glitchier than the original

At first I was very excited (pretty big Fable fan) but then I watched Total Biscuit's video about it and he is damn right. And then Lionhead Studios still wants a bunch of money for cosmetic DLC.
Only reason why I'm still a bit interested is the controller support. I hate using mouse/keyboard in 3rd person games.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Second day, again a bit disappointed. I was under the impression that daily and flash deals were supposed to be good and exceptional. Eventhough two games from my wishlist are on sale. (Fable Anniversary Edition: not willing to pay 16? for basically an effing texture pack with controller supportoh; Legend of Korra: fan of the show, but the game doesn't look that good....maybe for 5?).

Maybe I'm just a cheapskate but so far I'm not impressed^^ And the layout of all deals is terrible.

btw, how do you guys keep track of the games you want to buy and might want to buy? Any special strategy to stay on top of things?

I add games I'm interested in to my wish list. Steam sends me emails when they're on sale.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I add games I'm interested in to my wish list. Steam sends me emails when they're on sale.

I found this to not be very reliable. But I see that there is a section on the frontpage titled "From my wishlist...." that shows all games from the wishlist that currently have a reduced price.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone get any FPS games on sale?

I got Borderlands GotY tonight, so I can co-op with my cousin (mostly for the DLC we never got to play on the 360, due to the terrible digital content pricing of the XBL Marketplace). The only other FPS titles I will get are Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and there's a small chance I'll get Rage, if it's on sale a second time (don't want it right now). I already picked up PAYDAY 2 and Borderlands 2 GotY during the Summer Sale this year, and I picked up all of the Deux Ex, DOOM, and Max Payne games during the last Holiday Sale. I got Metro: Last Light during the last Holiday Sale as well (and got Metro 2033 free from Humble Bundle a month or two ago), but then I got Metro: Redux[ on the One, so we'll see if I bother touching them on PC.

Never trust that feature. I'd say it works for me 15% of the time. Instead, I add stuff to my Wishlist, then go to my Wishlist to check if there's a sale. Also, the site isthereanydeal.com is helpful if you're uncaring about where you buy a game from.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Second day, again a bit disappointed. I was under the impression that daily and flash deals were supposed to be good and exceptional. Eventhough two games from my wishlist are on sale. (Fable Anniversary Edition: not willing to pay 16€ for basically an effing texture pack with controller supportoh; Legend of Korra: fan of the show, but the game doesn't look that good....maybe for 5€).

Sales you're looking at might be the crap ones that last for the duration (the 40-50% ones on older games). If Fable is one of those, just wait, and it SHOUDL hit 75-80% off, like most older games eventually do. Also, that Korra game (which I was also looking forward to, love both Avatar shows) got really bad reviews, so I'd skip it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I got Borderlands GotY tonight, so I can co-op with my cousin (mostly for the DLC we never got to play on the 360, due to the terrible digital content pricing of the XBL Marketplace). The only other FPS titles I will get are Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and there's a small chance I'll get Rage, if it's on sale a second time (don't want it right now). I already picked up PAYDAY 2 and Borderlands 2 GotY during the Summer Sale this year, and I picked up all of the Deux Ex, DOOM, and Max Payne games during the last Holiday Sale. I got Metro: Last Light during the last Holiday Sale as well (and got Metro 2033 free from Humble Bundle a month or two ago), but then I got Metro: Redux[ on the One, so we'll see if I bother touching them on PC.

Never trust that feature. I'd say it works for me 15% of the time. Instead, I add stuff to my Wishlist, then go to my Wishlist to check if there's a sale. Also, the site isthereanydeal.com is helpful if you're uncaring about where you buy a game from.

Is Metro Redux worthwhile? I already have Metro Last Light and Metro 2033.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Sales you're looking at might be the crap ones that last for the duration (the 40-50% ones on older games). If Fable is one of those, just wait, and it SHOUDL hit 75-80% off, like most older games eventually do. Also, that Korra game (which I was also looking forward to, love both Avatar shows) got really bad reviews, so I'd skip it.

Fable was already a daily deal yesterday with 50% off, so I'm not sure if the price will get lower during this sale (and flash/daily deals are supposed to have the lowest price for a game during the sale, if I understand correctly).
Yeah, I watched TotalBiscuit's "WTF is....?" episode about Legend of Korra. It looked quite simple but as if you can still have some fun with it. Well, deal is gone, not gonna buy it now.

Got my first 2 games during this sale: Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe Edition for ~5€ and the Cold, Cold Heart DLC for Batman: Arkham Origins for ~2.50€.
Still not been knocked off my socks by the deals so far....

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Is Metro Redux worthwhile? I already have Metro Last Light and Metro 2033.

I don't really know, to be honest. I've heard that they've added features and tightened up the games with Redux, but I was too lazy to ever play the Metro games on PC, so I don't know how they compare. I've not put much time (maybe an hour) into Redux, but since it was on-sale for $20 at Best Buy during Black Friday, it was worth a dice roll to me. Getting it on console and not worrying about any possible complaints with the older PC versions was good enough incentive to me. I'm sure there are reviews/articles that say what was added to the newer versions to where you could get an idea of whether you'd want it, though I'd pass if you were just asking about getting the same games again on PC (like I said, getting it on console was a factor to me).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills