What do I get: BlackBerry Torch 9860 (Full Touch) or Windows Phone? ? BlackBerry OS7

SSaywell

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
What do I get: BlackBerry Torch 9860 (Full Touch) or Windows Phone? – BlackBerry OS7 or Windows Phone 7.1/7.5 (Mango)

It’s coming to that time of year where I get the chance to become the owner of a brand new phone but I first have a very important decision to make. Do I get the BlackBerry Torch 9860 featuring the new BlackBerry OS 7 or a Windows Phone, one that either comes with or will be upgraded to Mango (currently thinking LG Optimus 7, Samsung Focus or Samsung’s WP version of the Gallery S II).

I currently own a BlackBerry Storm 2 9520 with BlackBerry OS5 and do love it very much. The new BB OS7 is just an upgrade of an OS I already know well whereas the Windows Phone OS would be a new OS to me, that being said I am developing some Apps for the WP OS so I know a fair amount about it too. Today I had a play with a BlackBerry Torch and a LG Optimus 7 at my local Vodafone store, I found both OS easy to use and could get along with either OS just fine.

BlackBerry OS7 / BlackBerry Torch 9860
Pros: The BlackBerry Torch felt very nice to hold, either landscape or portrait and the screen looked amazing with its high resolution compared to what I’ve been used to. The OS was a nice upgrade from BB OS5 with colourful icons and everything just flowed.
Cons: Typing was alright but not the best and I think it would take me a little while to get used but I know that given time I would adapt to typing on the device.

Windows Phone / LG Optimus 7 (that’s the one I used in store)
Pros: The Phone itself was alright but nothing great, but that can be overcome by picking a phone from another manufacture. The OS was clean, easy to understand and use, clutter free and was a real pleasant experience. The keyboard was amazing, I hardly made any mistakes and this was the first time I had ever used the device/OS which was very pleasing.
Cons: Hardware was, as I said alright. As long as there are a few more devices to pick from I’ll be fine. Can’t think of any other cons at the moment (that aren’t addressed with the mango update).

BB OS7 V’s Windows Phone
The keyboard on the Windows Phone was definitely the better out of the two but I could still get along with the BlackBerry’s keyboard so this isn’t too much of an issue. The BlackBerry had better hardware but I haven’t had a chance to use any other Windows Phone devices as they may be better.

So that leaves me with the question, What do I get, the BlackBerry Torch 9860 or a Windows Phone?

Last edited:

velvetelvis

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
you have to know that the answer you get in a device specific forum will be pretty biased. that being said, if you can wait a couple of months there will be new hardware for both os's that will be pretty impressive.

also, playing around with a phone instore is a great way to get a feel of the phone but living with it is usual a different experience. i got an android because i played around with that and a wp7. the android had a better instant gratification factor. it didnt work out so well. now ive had a wp7 for about a month and there is a lot that u just dont see until you have used one as a daily phone.

but, as i said, my opinion is biased. ive also had a bb. it will never happen again.

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
BGR.com did a good review on bb os 7, it is old and out of date. RIM and blackberries are behind. I used them alot, WP7 or android or ios are modern and good os. If you are deciding between WP7 and BB os 7, go WP7.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I like the WP7 OS much better. And if you pick up something like the Samsung Focus I think you'll be happy with the look and feel of the hardware. The screen is awesome.

But with that said, Blackberry does have the best messaging service in the business. And if that is something you rely on all the time, it might be a tough adjustment.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I would wait on both OSes. The BB OS7 is just a stopgap for the QNX OS which is scheduled to come out in Q1 of 2012. That will limit the already limited developer support for BB OS7.

WP7 is a great OS but the any-day-now release of Mango and the slew of new phones slated to follow it, the WP7 hardware will be upgraded in the coming months.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a BB running OS5 and had a couple of weeks using an HTC Trophy. It is great and the virtual keyboard is amazing. But it couldn't sync with multiple Google calendars so I had to return it. I've been waiting on the 9850, the new post-Mango WP7 phones, and even the iPhone 5. As of now, I'm still waiting on the sidelines.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
SSaywell, are there any particular features you're looking for? Is there anything you do on your BlackBerry and are wondering if WP7 can do it?

Also, the WP7.5 phones are coming any day now. Presumably you're in the EU? You lucky Europeans are getting the HTC Titan in October. That would absolutely be my choice if I were buying a Windows Phone in the near future. It looks amazing: 4.7-inch S-LCD screen, 1.5 GHz processor, vastly improved camera compared to their previous phones, and it's extremely thin on top of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss