Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By JAStark27
  • 1 Post By palandri
  • 1 Post By Big Supes
  • 1 Post By boschi66
  1. cdook's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    675 Posts
    Global Posts
    704 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Alright I have to ask... I've seen way too many posts praising iPhone 4's speech recognition engine, Siri, as something totally new and innovative.

    Am I missing something? Android has had voice recognition in their OS for a while. With Mango we've got a ton of options on that front too. The ability to read incoming messages and dictate new messages is awesome.

    How does Mango's voice recognition compare to Siri? Does one do more over the other? Discuss!
  2. Bballbenb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Global Posts
    391 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    From what I can tell Siri is a little more advanced. Saying stuff like "call my wife" instead of her name is something i dont think the others can do. I could be wrong though but i believe the siri technology is just a little more creepy/advanced
  3. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    ^ This.

    Siri is not just voice recognition. Is a next step. ( assuming it works as advertised )
  4. Coffee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Siri is definitely more advanced, but it also requires a data connection. It does do some natural-voice commands, although you can't just tell it anything you want, there are certain keywords you need to use in the sentence.

    But it is very cool, although I don't really talk to my phone nor want to, except to use the hands-free texting in the car, which I like.
  5. Mateosmith's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeballer09 View Post
    From what I can tell Siri is a little more advanced. Saying stuff like "call my wife" instead of her name is something i dont think the others can do. I could be wrong though but i believe the siri technology is just a little more creepy/advanced
    Indeed, perhaps its crossing a road that should not be crossed, I dont need my phone to respond to some things lol
  6. Coffee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Honestly, in this society, I expect many lawsuits from Siri misinterpreting the commands.

    'Siri called my wife instead of my mistress!'

    'Siri texted my boss when I was really cussing him out!'

    and so on, and so on
  7. JAStark27's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeballer09 View Post
    From what I can tell Siri is a little more advanced. Saying stuff like "call my wife" instead of her name is something i dont think the others can do. I could be wrong though but i believe the siri technology is just a little more creepy/advanced
    Actually in WP7 if you put wife under her name in the nickname area it works the same way.
    Judge_Daniel likes this.
  8. jfa1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,565 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,648 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Well the concept and thought is a good one but if those things happen as a lawyer I might have to stop laughing first!
  9. Pronk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    745 Posts
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    One of the big jumps is that it seems to work conversationally. So you ask it "how's the weather?" and it responds, but YOU can then respond "how about tomorrow?" and it'll answer - but it'll still know you're talking about the weather.
  10. N8ter's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Siri is definitely more advanced, but it also requires a data connection. It does do some natural-voice commands, although you can't just tell it anything you want, there are certain keywords you need to use in the sentence.

    But it is very cool, although I don't really talk to my phone nor want to, except to use the hands-free texting in the car, which I like.
    Microsoft's Voice Recognition requires a data connection as well, IIRC. I think Google's may, as well. Most of them use Cloud Services to interpret speech. Dictation is a lot easier. They can probably to Text to Speech without a data connection, provided you have the appropriate language file.

    Not hard to test. Just turn off data and WiFi and check.

    You can't get a smartphone (here) without a data pack on contract, anyways, so it's pretty expected. These phones are near useless without a data plan.
  11. chanmanx2k's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    I had an android before my trophy, and the voice was very accurate. My Wp7 seems to fail to accurately analyze my speech. I tried looking for a bing voice vs siri vs android voice actions video, but I cannot find one.

    EDIT: found it
    Last edited by chanmanx2k; 10-14-2011 at 06:12 PM.
  12. JackB03's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    40 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    To be honest, for WM still being "new" in the world of cell phones, I must admit, its awesome that were even discussing this. This truly shows you that WM and Microsoft are really jumping in and will one day be on top of Apple and the iPhone OS!
  13. el3ktro's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by JAStark27 View Post
    Actually in WP7 if you put wife under her name in the nickname area it works the same way.
    Well this shows the BIG, HUGE difference between Siri and TellMe. TellMe simply does speech recognition. So if you put "wife" in your wife's contact field, it simply recognizes the word "wife" and finds this word in one of your contacts.

    In Siri, it works like this. If you ask Siri for the first time "Call my wife" it does not only recognize the words you're saying, it actually understands that you're referring to a person. Hence Siri asks you "Who is your wife?", you then tell Siri the name of your wife and Siri then "knows" who is your wife, so the next time you ask Siri "Call my wife" it calls the right person.

    Another example from one of the Apple ads: You can ask Siri not only "Find a local locksmith", you can actually simply say "I'm locked out" or "I lost my keys". Siri understands that "I'm locked out" means that you might need a locksmith and then searches for one. TellMe again only does speech recognition so it simply recognizes the words you're saying and puts them into a search enigne word by word. But Siri understands - to a certain degree - the meaning of your words.

    Another great feature of Siri is it's ability to follow conversations, another thing TellMe can't do.
  14. el3ktro's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    It does do some natural-voice commands, although you can't just tell it anything you want, there are certain keywords you need to use in the sentence.
    That's the point, you DON'T need keywords. For example you don't need to tell Siri explicitly to "Search" for something when you're looking for something. The simple phrase "I'm locked out" will trigger a search for locksmiths for example. It UNDERSTANDS - of course only to a certain degree - that if you say "I'm locked out" you might need a locksmith and looks for one nearby. You don't need to actually say the word "Weather" when you want to know about the weather, you can ask things like "Do I need sunscreen today" or "Should I bring an umbrella" etc.
  15. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,589 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,915 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Honestly, in this society, I expect many lawsuits from Siri misinterpreting the commands.

    'Siri called my wife instead of my mistress!'

    'Siri texted my boss when I was really cussing him out!'

    and so on, and so on
    Wow think of the confusion for Tiger Woods if he had Siri. :D
    Big Supes likes this.
  16. Big Supes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,698 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    There's no two ways about it; Siri is owning the voice command function. I'm looking forward to seeing more from Tellme. I really hope MS will unveil some of the learning functions we saw from the Project Natal promos with Apollo.
  17. Big Supes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,698 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Wow think of the confusion for Tiger Woods if he had Siri. :D
    As, for some reason,I can't 'like' this post, I'll say it: LIKE. :D

    EDIT: Hmm... it's back. :S
    palandri likes this.
  18. Duvi's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,035 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,036 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Honestly, in this society, I expect many lawsuits from Siri misinterpreting the commands.

    'Siri called my wife instead of my mistress!'

    'Siri texted my boss when I was really cussing him out!'

    and so on, and so on
    Android's and Microsoft's TellMe would do those things before Siri does. It's on point. I have only recently started to use it and think it's insanely good. I really stopped using them because of all the others: Android's or any other popular voice recognition app.
  19. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,483 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    The underlying technology is similar. The difference isn't as much about the speech recognition, but the implementation.

    To me, TellMe is almost like a game engine. There is core functionality built in there that's pretty neat and can do cool stuff. But Siri is an actual game. It's built on top of a similar engine, but they made something cool.
  20. TaliZorah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    649 Posts
    Global Posts
    697 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    I live with somebody who has an iPhone 4s. And Siri is definitely more advanced but in some cases I think it's annoying.

    With WP when you say "Text Bob" then wait a second, then you can say your text like "Meet me for dinner at 10pm.".

    With siri its like this... "Text Bob."... "Sending a text to Bob. What do you want it to say?"... "Meet me for dinner at 10pm."... "Ok, I am updating your text message... Is this correct?" Then you hit send and... "I am sending your text message."

    It does a lot of stuff like that and I think that's great for old people who need voice activated programs to tell them what they are doing. But for somebody like me to just say what I want it to do and have the phone do it, I don't need voice confirmation for it.
  21. Duvi's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,035 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,036 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by TaliZorah View Post
    I live with somebody who has an iPhone 4s. And Siri is definitely more advanced but in some cases I think it's annoying.

    With WP when you say "Text Bob" then wait a second, then you can say your text like "Meet me for dinner at 10pm.".

    With siri its like this... "Text Bob."... "Sending a text to Bob. What do you want it to say?"... "Meet me for dinner at 10pm."... "Ok, I am updating your text message... Is this correct?" Then you hit send and... "I am sending your text message."

    It does a lot of stuff like that and I think that's great for old people who need voice activated programs to tell them what they are doing. But for somebody like me to just say what I want it to do and have the phone do it, I don't need voice confirmation for it.
    You can actually just say "Text Bob ... I will be home late" and then it confirms. You then say Yes or Send. So both can do it in two steps.

    Where Siri is more advanced than sending text to Bob is how it knows to hold a convo with Bob. I watched the keynote and was really amazed because when they demonstrated, they didn't even mention a name, but Siri knew who to send it to.
  22. TaliZorah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    649 Posts
    Global Posts
    697 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by duvi View Post
    You can actually just say "Text Bob ... I will be home late" and then it confirms. You then say Yes or Send. So both can do it in two steps.

    Where Siri is more advanced than sending text to Bob is how it knows to hold a convo with Bob. I watched the keynote and was really amazed because when they demonstrated, they didn't even mention a name, but Siri knew who to send it to.
    Ha! I will have to tell my roomate that then.

    I do like the read-back feature when you can say stuff like "Read back that last text." and it does it. You can also screw around with Siri and ask her if she has boobs. Seriously, do it.
  23. Duvi's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,035 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,036 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by TaliZorah View Post
    Ha! I will have to tell my roomate that then.

    I do like the read-back feature when you can say stuff like "Read back that last text." and it does it. You can also screw around with Siri and ask her if she has boobs. Seriously, do it.
    My co-workers have asked worse. Lol.
  24. boschi66's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by duvi View Post
    My co-workers have asked worse. Lol.
    My frds too LOL useful or not, that's like the first thing everyone does... Violate Siri in every possible way :D
    I dont know what will happen if it was an actual robot u can touch and interact LOL
    Duvi likes this.

Posting Permissions

";