Focus for free now or keep my 3GS and wait for pricing on new devices?

thearne76

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
My AT&T contract is up so Ive been checking out devices. I typically dont spend more than $100 for a new(to me) device on contract ( I got my 3GS 16GB for $99 when AT&T were selling refurb iphones(instead of the 8GB model) in store for a short period of time after the iphone4 launch.)

My though process is that I could wait but if all the new devices are going for $200 that may make me hold out to see what the iphone5 might offer. The iphone is my only apple device so im not tied to staying in that ecosystem.

So my question is do you guys think there might be a chance of one of the newer WP mango devices launcing at a $99 price point? Could I get away with using the focus for 2 years?

(Ive also noticed that the specs dont differ much between some of the upcoming devices other than screen size and front facing camera.)

thanks ahead of time.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
If it's priced to what I think is correct (i.e., compared to specs on new high-end Android phones and the iP4S), I'd guess the HTC Titan to come out at the most $149. Of course, that's a niche-ish phone since it's big. If any of the leaked Nokia phones interest you, too, you might want to wait until we hear news about their conference coming up later this month.

Also, even though the general specs might look the same, some/most/all(?) of the newer phones use 2nd generation processors, which should perform better.

thearne76

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I've been reading the forums and news articles a bit more and looks like I can have my answer sometime in november hopefully so I can hold off until then. I want a Windows Phone device but I had been reading about how the OS is alot more optimized and doesnt specifically need the latest/greatest in terms of hardware to run smoothly so thats mainly why the question arose.

I

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm all about waiting for a nokia WP7.

You could always buy a used focus on ebay to use in the interim and as a backup phone going forward. They can't be going for that much nowadays

JackB03

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey thearne76 - I bought a Focus about a month ago for Free at AT&T and its really great! I had a HD7 with Tmobile year or so ago, and I have to admit I like the Focus better. When comparing the iPhone and WM phones, I have to pick the WM. I had the first iPhone all the way to the 3GS. When I get the windows phone, it blew me away. My wife has an iPhone 4, and I have to admit my Focus is better. Especially with the Mango update. My phone is faster and more smooth. Also we compared browsing the web on WiFi and 3G, and my Focus won both time. Especially on WiFi.

As some others said, Nokia might be something to wait for. If you like the bigger screens, the HTC Titan would be the way to go. Also, the Focus S is coming out soon so look out for that.

The main reason I like WM, is the fact that they created the own OS. Kinda like Apple did. Yet, the iPhone 4S pretty much copied from Android and WM with their updates. That tells you whats going on. Android and WM are catching up. You'll get things done faster with these phones and things are alot easier. Plus this is a good community and Microsoft seems to listen to what "we" want on these updates. Something Apple seems to be lacking. Im sure I could go on more, but honestly, get you a WM phone and try it out.

What type of things do you like about a phone? (i.e. Big Screen/Small Screen, Processor speed, graphics, apps, etc......?) This may help us recommend certain phones to you.

Thanks,
Jack

thearne76

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Thank for your review

My main wants are:

Responsiveness
Great music/media player ( I use my phones as mp3/video players at the gym)
Browser
Camera quality
Quality apps
As long as the screen is between 3.7 and 4 that's fine. (needs to fit in pocket with other devices) I carry an iphone4 also for work.

I not a real apple fan but I do like their phone for it's usability. And I'm hoping wp7 will be even better since I'd be within the ecosystem with my other devices.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I came from an iPhone 4 to the Focus. Got it on eBay dirt cheap, no contract and and it was a great decision. I sag pull the trigger on the Focus.

Sent from my non mindless sheep iphone Samsung Focus using Board Express

thearne76

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm working on a craigslist trade for a focus right now. ( for my 3GS) this will preserve my upgrade for when the new devices drop.

I have a surround as a backup to trade for also if the focus is a no go.

anything I should check on the phone right away. He hadn't added memory. Any cheap cards you guys recommend ( prob just 8 gb)

Any others tips /recommended apps
(I'll read the forums also)

thearne76

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Got everything set up for the most part found a 16 GB sd card and installed it before upgrading to mango. So far so good.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720