Real question which phone is better

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to get on my family's plan on sprint. I am looking into getting either this, the i4S, or that Galaxy SII. I have also heard that Sprint doesn't like WP7, and that they're likely not going to be getting anything new for a while. The reason? I don't know, and to be honest I don't care.

This is the phone I'd be stuck with for the next 2 yrs.

With that in mind, is the Arrive really "the choice"?

Last edited by a moderator:

the_fly68

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
The Arrive is the only choice right now. Sprint has come out and said they don't see themselves supporting WP7 in the near future. They look at it as too much of a gamble so they're all in with the iPhone and Android. Going to AT&T is the only real choice right now in the US.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
The Arrive is the only choice right now. Sprint has come out and said they don't see themselves supporting WP7 in the near future. They look at it as too much of a gamble so they're all in with the iPhone and Android. Going to AT&T is the only real choice right now in the US.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Going to AT&T is not an option.

Going on the lowered cost of a family plan is the only way I'm getting a phone at all from a carrier. Otherwise, I'll have to stick to a normal phone with no browser or anything else.

I was asking more if the Arrive is an option that will be viable if I get it with the 2 yr contract. Or is Sprint the carrier that "it is better to get something else on"?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I think you just need to go to the Sprint store and try the different phones out and get what you are going to be comfortable with for the next two years.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
The Arrive is a decent phone. I bought it the day it came out so I can comment on it pretty well. IMO the major problem with buying it today for the next two years is that it was already outdated a year ago-- three years from now it will be a real problem.

It's true that WP doesn't need the latest and greatest specs to run really well, but if superior specs are available on other carriers, why settle for less. It's not simply the processor speed-- it's the processor architechture, the graphics processor, the radio (4G/LTE), the screen quality, etc.

A major issue I've faced with the phone is it's just so damn bulky. Yes, I get an awesome qwerty keyboard but honestly I'd rather have a larger screen and make do with the virtual keyboard. Also I'm not a huge fan of the charging port being on the side of the device. On the plus side it's built like a tank, I've dropped it a few times (no case or screen protector) and it's no worse for wear.

If I were in the market for a phone today, the Arrive would be pretty low on my list. Not that it's a bad phone per se, but there are better ones out there. Just not at Sprint unfortunately.

-R

EDIT: Oh and it has that stupid, maddening 160 character limit for SMS. AFAIK it's the only windows phone that has that issue.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
The Arrive is a decent phone. I bought it the day it came out so I can comment on it pretty well. IMO the major problem with buying it today for the next two years is that it was already outdated a year ago-- three years from now it will be a real problem.

It's true that WP doesn't need the latest and greatest specs to run really well, but if superior specs are available on other carriers, why settle for less. It's not simply the processor speed-- it's the processor architechture, the graphics processor, the radio (4G/LTE), the screen quality, etc.

A major issue I've faced with the phone is it's just so damn bulky. Yes, I get an awesome qwerty keyboard but honestly I'd rather have a larger screen and make do with the virtual keyboard. Also I'm not a huge fan of the charging port being on the side of the device. On the plus side it's built like a tank, I've dropped it a few times (no case or screen protector) and it's no worse for wear.

If I were in the market for a phone today, the Arrive would be pretty low on my list. Not that it's a bad phone per se, but there are better ones out there. Just not at Sprint unfortunately.

-R

EDIT: Oh and it has that stupid, maddening 160 character limit for SMS. AFAIK it's the only windows phone that has that issue.

So, what would you (personally) suggest I do?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Option #2. Find an Arrive in eBay for probably no more than $100. If Sprint offers a new WP this fall, get a phone then and sell the Arrive for half what you paid. If you don't like WP, sell the Arrive and get what you want from Sprint. Either way, maybe a $50 investment. Sounds reasonable to me.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Option #2. Find an Arrive in eBay for probably no more than $100. If Sprint offers a new WP this fall, get a phone then and sell the Arrive for half what you paid. If you don't like WP, sell the Arrive and get what you want from Sprint. Either way, maybe a $50 investment. Sounds reasonable to me.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Now that's a smart move!

Could I get that and put it on the family plan?

venom5150

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Now that's a smart move!

Could I get that and put it on the family plan?
Hello Goff256. The Microsoft Store has this phone for free with a two year commitment. I would say go for it. I also have the iPhone 4s and as much as I prefer the 4s harware, I usually have the Arrive connected to the network as I prefer the Windows Phone OS over iOS. Zune pass cant be beat and, integrated bing search, live tiles. We have two arrives on the family plan and its the preffered device. Too bad Sprint just dosent get it. The Arrive is one of the highest rated phones on Sprint which tells me once you have it, you dont regret it. Hope this helps.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Yup. I agree, if possible, get arrive from cl, eBay, Amazon, wherever, that way you have no regrets about being locked to device for years. Make sure sprint will let the esn work, however. The hw is old, so prices should be low. SW makes the phone a gem, IMO :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3