Nokia Lumia 900 vs HTC One X

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
What are some reasons one would choose the Lumia 900 over the HTC One X other than the obvious OS difference? The One X seems like a compelling device with amazing specs and a screen that is practically a 4.7" retina display (312 ppi). Would love to hear some opinions from Lumia owners.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
What are some reasons one would choose the Lumia 900 over the HTC One X other than the obvious OS difference? The One X seems like a compelling device with amazing specs and a screen that is practically a 4.7" retina display (312 ppi). Would love to hear some opinions from Lumia owners.
I am going to assume that most Lumia 900 users have zero experience with the HTC. Lets assume both phones run smooth, It really does come down to the OS's.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Because it's Android? I'm sorry, but you can't just look at hardware. Android is a mess.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Personal OS perference. Considering all the problems people have had with the 900 I'd suggest taking a good luck at the Titan II.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Right now it comes down to hardware differences and functionality. I'll be switching to the HTC EVO LTE on Sprint (HTC One X equivalent) due to the HD screen which provides the most pleasant viewing on a mobile device available anywhere. I spend enough time using my phone that it will enrich my experience and offset some of my OS concerns with Android to have hardware that excellent.

As far as the user experience with Android it does offer the most flexibility and customization of any OS at the expense of aesthetics, resources, and simplicity of use. Frankly I don't know if the trade off will be worth it but after seeing the HTC One X and being a technophile I have to find out for myself. Once Apollo drops that could tip the scales back to Windows Phone since it will finally be possible to have a first class OS paired with the first class hardware it deserves.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

Last edited:

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. This is my main dilemma right now. Trying to decide if putting up with the issues of the 900 (camera, memory management) are worth putting up with till Apollo devices drop or going with the One X in the interim. I think it is mainly a question of esthetics and overall user experience on one hand vs. Functionality and app selection (with poorer design) on the other. I have like a week and a half left to figure it out.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Well because it's android and it will be outdated in a month. :)

Seriously I've owned Android phones since the OG galaxy nexus on tmob and nothing is different on this version of Android than any other. If you like Android then get it if not get the WP. Android can be just as simple to use as WP people just make it complicated with rooting.

Most of the HTC widgets allow you to do everything a little better than WP tiltes. For example HTC has a bookmark widget so its 1 click to get to your favorite web page. I have not found out how to do this with a tile. Please tell me I can do this.

I'd recommend you go get the HTC if you wont get stuck with a restock fee and give it a try for a week. WP imop is not quite ready for prime time, but I'm keeping mine.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
For example HTC has a bookmark widget so its 1 click to get to your favorite web page. I have not found out how to do this with a tile. Please tell me I can do this.

Go into the options menu in Explorer when browsing and select pin to start. Voila!

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

bver100

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I own both the lumia 800 and the One X.

I am using the One X as a daily driver because it's specced for AT&T and has LTE and whatnot.

In my opinion, Android itself is not as enjoyable to use. It took a while to get set up, etc. insert whatever detractions a WP7 fan would usually have.

BUT. The hardware is fantastic. The screen is beautiful. The camera is unbelievable.

It's also double the price of the Lumia 900.

Having used the 900 at a few microsoft events, the One X feels much sleeker and nicer. (@ Figure 8 Dash) I don't doubt that seeing it next to the Titan II will make the latter feel like a complete waste of money.

I am a diehard Metro UI fan, though. I am finding it very difficult to decide if i would prefer to stay with the One X with ATT and LTE, vs going back to the Lumia 800 that doesn't have LTE and is even missing one of ATT's main frequencies. (stupid on paper, but i really like the 800)

Just a few thoughts that I have. Apologies if it looks/sounds/is worded like crap. I really don't feel like thinking this morning.

Last edited:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I think android phones running ice cream sandwich are quite a step up from the older phones. I played with a Galaxy Nexus at Verizon a couple of days ago and I have to admit it made my Trophy seem like a toy phone. I was really impressed at how fast and smooth it was. It made me reconsider what my next phone might be.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
After testing an HTC (work) and Lumia 900 (off-work) this week, I'm personally sticking with the 900. It had nothing to do with battery life (HTC was about an hour better under the same workday as the Lumia was, at around 22 hours vs 21, which to me is about the same), call quality or ability to get/hold a signal (again, about the same), or availability of apps (I do miss a few apps that WP doesn't have, but this is primarily a work and PIM device (hence my testing of the HTC at "work" functions, as that's what I'd primarily do with it), and I don't game or use apps much other than newsreaders). What really got me is the UI - Sense is really nice (reminded me of my HTC WinMo 5.x / 6.x days!), but it just seemed like such a mess underneath. I've gotten used to having everything in a few areas on my Windows Phone device, and I really can't go back (no matter how much customization the droid had).

I think that's what made it for me - I realized I really wasn't missing anything I needed on my WP device, and it does what I need in the way I like to work. To each his or her own, and for me and my work/lifestyle, the WP ecosystem works better, that's all.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Because it's Android? I'm sorry, but you can't just look at hardware. Android is a mess.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

This covers it for me. I wouldn't care if the One X was made from pure unobtanium with a 3000x1200 pixel screen, 8 core processor, a 2 month battery life and personal concierge service. If it runs any form of Android, I won't touch it with a barge pole.

God's honest truth, I would sooner use an iPhone 3GS or a BlackBerry Curve than I would go back to Android. I don't care what device you offer me.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

anotherhawkeye

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
It has to be the last phone in the world for me to use another google phone. Its not a phone, its a medium for google to track you. Sorry, but no thanks. Ms is not an angel, but big g is pure evil. Imo

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It's not really a fair question. Obviously if they ran the same OS, the One X would be the superior service. However, software can be more important than hardware. The OS is what makes the Lumia mt preferred device. Even in e same OS, manufacturer software can make a difference. That is my main reason for preferring the 900 to the Titan II. I hate android. I used it for nearly two years on 3 different devices, each of which was the highest spec'd Android available on any carrier when I purchased it, and they were all absolutely miserable to use. The absolutely only way I'd even consider going back to android would require a perfect storm of suck: 1. WP8 would either need to fail or suck worse than android as far as stability and ease of use 2. BB10 would need to either never come to market or be garbage 3. The next iPhone would need to not have a bigger screen and lack lte and. 4. An lte nexus device would have to be available for AT&T.

phoenix black

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
can someone please elaborate on this "android is a mess" comment i keep seeing repeated over and over... i'm a current android user and my phone pretty much does everything i want/need it to... i'd really like someone to honestly explain to me what's wrong with android and what makes WP so much better (this is not a sarcastic post, i sincerely want to know - i'd really like to switch to WP, but i just can't seem to justify it)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz