Hello... Android vs WP7 person...

mr_vpw

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello All

Figured I'd contribute some thoughts here - my main phone is an Android device (Motorola Atrix) - and quite honestly it's the closest thing I've ever owned to what I actually want in a phone. I also own a Motorola Xoom tablet (just coincidence both motorola).

However I was using until recently a Blackberry Curve 9300 as well, and recently ended up with a Nokia Lumia 710. I didn't go out and think I actively wanted one, my carrier (T-Mobile UK) offered it to me for literally a few quid a month so I figured I would have it as a second phone and just see how I get on with it.

Figured with that mix I could offer some meaningful insights.

FWIW - there are some bits of WP7 I really like, and think are smart, well designed etc. But there are a lot of areas it is seriously lacking...

Anyhow, hopefully I can offer some useful thoughts as a cross-platform person.

(PS I know next to sod all about iOS stuff, it doesn't float my boat at all, horrible stuff).

phoenix black

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello All

Figured I'd contribute some thoughts here - my main phone is an Android device (Motorola Atrix) - and quite honestly it's the closest thing I've ever owned to what I actually want in a phone. I also own a Motorola Xoom tablet (just coincidence both motorola).

However I was using until recently a Blackberry Curve 9300 as well, and recently ended up with a Nokia Lumia 710. I didn't go out and think I actively wanted one, my carrier (T-Mobile UK) offered it to me for literally a few quid a month so I figured I would have it as a second phone and just see how I get on with it.

Figured with that mix I could offer some meaningful insights.

FWIW - there are some bits of WP7 I really like, and think are smart, well designed etc. But there are a lot of areas it is seriously lacking...

Anyhow, hopefully I can offer some useful thoughts as a cross-platform person.

(PS I know next to sod all about iOS stuff, it doesn't float my boat at all, horrible stuff).
hey there, thanks for jumping in. going thru the posts, it doesn't seem like there are a lot of android users making the jump (tons of BB users, though). just like you, i have an atrix and a xoom. i've had it with the android fragmentation. my next phone is either going to be a nexus or a WP8 from nokia.

as a current android/WP user, what would you say are the strengths and weaknesses of WP vs android? if you could only use one phone, which would you choose and why? also, do you like receiving lots of questions from strangers? ;)

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

As a former android-user (To use a better phrase: Former disgruntled HTC Wildfire-User), I'm interested in reading your thoughts regarding WP7 vs. Android.

Welcome here! :cool:

mr_vpw

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi

This fragmentation issue seems in my opinion to be a bit over-rated. The minor interface differences aside (which is pretty much a non-issue if you use alternative launchers etc), I don't really think there is too much "fragmentation" nowadays - perhaps there used to be, but I don't see it. Pretty much any app I have my phone is on my tablet, with a few minor exceptions where it doesn't make sense on one or other format.

As far as Windows Phone goes - I think it has a few neat features, but there is no way on earth I would replace my Atrix (or Android in general) for the Windows Phone platform for my main device - and I doubt this will change anytime soon. The interface of Win Pho 7 is sometimes a blessing, but sometimes a real curse and it can be infuritating. The app support *IS* an issue for most people, and I'm in that list - it's just not good enough (same issue with Blackberry - I also own a BB 9300 Curve and a Playbook).

One HUGE irritation of mine with WP7 is the shambolic approach to notifications. So I have the ebay app on both Android and WP7. I hear the WP7 phone make a noise, but by the time I get to it, the screen is off. I have no idea what that notification is. Fortunately my Android phone also had an alert - I can see from it that on my notifications bar I have an ebay alert. On WP7 there is no sodding alert system - so I have no idea what it was that beeped. It's REALLY annoying and completely undermines the phone.

A practical example was yesterday - someone had sent me a message on What's App - on the WP7 - I didn't know that because I am not glued to the phone, and thus once again the lack of notifications meant unless I go into the app, I'd never know.

It's those sorts of really dumb oversights that make WP7 not ready yet - never mind app support or the UI - if you can't get basic reliable, no hassle notifications, you've not yet finished writing the OS.

Also, to the chap who has had a "Wildfire" - if that's what you've had then you would have had a terrible Android experience - it's a very poor phone, unreliable, underpowered and frankly a bit poor. Every single person I know who has had one dumped it the second they could and hated it.

I think my overall view is that as a secondary/spare phone, it's not bad, but as a primary phone... get out of here. It's far far far too lacking.

phoenix black

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
thank you so much for your candid reply. i hate to say it, but i pretty much came to the same conclusion. i really want to like WP and make the switch, but i'm a single phone kind of person and i just don't think WP can deliver what i need at this time... maybe WP8 will be a game changer. i'll keep my fingers crossed.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi

This fragmentation issue seems in my opinion to be a bit over-rated. The minor interface differences aside (which is pretty much a non-issue if you use alternative launchers etc), I don't really think there is too much "fragmentation" nowadays - perhaps there used to be, but I don't see it. Pretty much any app I have my phone is on my tablet, with a few minor exceptions where it doesn't make sense on one or other format.

As far as Windows Phone goes - I think it has a few neat features, but there is no way on earth I would replace my Atrix (or Android in general) for the Windows Phone platform for my main device - and I doubt this will change anytime soon. The interface of Win Pho 7 is sometimes a blessing, but sometimes a real curse and it can be infuritating. The app support *IS* an issue for most people, and I'm in that list - it's just not good enough (same issue with Blackberry - I also own a BB 9300 Curve and a Playbook).

One HUGE irritation of mine with WP7 is the shambolic approach to notifications. So I have the ebay app on both Android and WP7. I hear the WP7 phone make a noise, but by the time I get to it, the screen is off. I have no idea what that notification is. Fortunately my Android phone also had an alert - I can see from it that on my notifications bar I have an ebay alert. On WP7 there is no sodding alert system - so I have no idea what it was that beeped. It's REALLY annoying and completely undermines the phone.

A practical example was yesterday - someone had sent me a message on What's App - on the WP7 - I didn't know that because I am not glued to the phone, and thus once again the lack of notifications meant unless I go into the app, I'd never know.

It's those sorts of really dumb oversights that make WP7 not ready yet - never mind app support or the UI - if you can't get basic reliable, no hassle notifications, you've not yet finished writing the OS.

Also, to the chap who has had a "Wildfire" - if that's what you've had then you would have had a terrible Android experience - it's a very poor phone, unreliable, underpowered and frankly a bit poor. Every single person I know who has had one dumped it the second they could and hated it.

I think my overall view is that as a secondary/spare phone, it's not bad, but as a primary phone... get out of here. It's far far far too lacking.

Could you not see you had a message pending in Whatsapp via the live tile? I understand frustration over toasts not being logged... this is an easy fix if they list them in the Me tile. Apart from this one area, I don't really agree that it's "far far far too lacking". That's a massive exaggeration...

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Could you not see you had a message pending in Whatsapp via the live tile? I understand frustration over toasts not being logged... this is an easy fix if they list them in the Me tile. Apart from this one area, I don't really agree that it's "far far far too lacking". That's a massive exaggeration...

The problem is that if you pin every app that gives live tile notifications you won't be able to see them all without scrolling. Also the lock screen currently won't give notifications for apps like whatsapp. This is something I can live with, but for me it is the primary weakness of WP7.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that if you pin every app that gives live tile notifications you won't be able to see them all without scrolling. Also the lock screen currently won't give notifications for apps like whatsapp. This is something I can live with, but for me it is the primary weakness of WP7.

I guess I don't use many apps in that case...

If my phone has been left unattended (which is never, BTW), I would unlock it and scroll down the home screen to check if there are any alerts. Whatsapp (being placed in a priority view) would be seen immediately.

I can see the need for toasts to be logged, but I wouldn't stretch this issue beyond anything more than a minor inconvenience at the moment.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I guess I don't use many apps in that case...

If my phone has been left unattended (which is never, BTW), I would unlock it and scroll down the home screen to check if there are any alerts. Whatsapp (being placed in a priority view) would be seen immediately.

I can see the need for toasts to be logged, but I wouldn't stretch this issue beyond anything more than a minor inconvenience at the moment.

I think the WP7.8/8 start screen will help me in that aspect with the three sizes of tiles along with allowing more apps to put notifications on the lock screen. Right now for me the notifications are the biggest weakness of WP, but I can live with that to enjoy the other aspects of the platform.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
And you wouldn't have to scroll in a notification center packed full with notifications? Just saying..

They just work different. I'm not going to continue with this debate because I'm not at all trying to convince anyone to switch to android. I prefer the way android does it. Android was my first smartphone platform so I guess I'm just more comfortable with the notification style. I'm certainly not going to allow a small quibble to keep me from enjoying the beauty of WP.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
They just work different. I'm not going to continue with this debate because I'm not at all trying to convince anyone to switch to android. I prefer the way android does it. Android was my first smartphone platform so I guess I'm just more comfortable with the notification style. I'm certainly not going to allow a small quibble to keep me from enjoying the beauty of WP.

Yeah, I'm not trying to debate anything. I just thought it was interesting that you'd comment about an action that, in my mind, is more or less the same action. Perhaps I'm missing something never having used Android but whatever. Not particularly questioning your preferences either.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I sent some emails and a kik message to my phone from my wife's iPhone. Here's the lock screen notifications and how it lookswith the notification bar pulled down.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
My two cents: I don't care for a notification center. Those glaring alerts that don't go away unless you go to each one (blackberry) and a voicemail icon that stays until you check (android) is a pet peeve of mine. IOS has done a good job of it so far

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
My two cents: I don't care for a notification center. Those glaring alerts that don't go away unless you go to each one (blackberry) and a voicemail icon that stays until you check (android) is a pet peeve of mine. IOS has done a good job of it so far

On an adroid running ice cream sandwich when you pull down the notification bar each notification can be swiped away individually. Not sure about voicemail, I generally listen to those as I get them. It's all about preference. As I said before I'm not going to let the WP style of notifications stop me from using the platform even though I don't really care for the way WP handles them.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I personally enjoy the lack of notifications for WP. Having a DInc/Android, I've grown quite irritated at the constant notifications I'm bombarded with through third party applications on Android. The only notifications that I absolutely need to know about are Phone calls, Texts, and Emails. The rest I can live without, simply because in example if I'm using WhatsApp and I'm in the middle of a conversation or I'm waiting for a response.. I would instinctively know to check WhatsApp every so often. I constantly out of habit check all my services like those "at a glance", to make sure I'm not missing anything. Even with notifications on Android, I still check them.

From what I've seen and followed of WP, I can just tell I'd have a better overall experience with a WP than an Android device. I like pretty much everything about WP, and Android is becoming old to me. I would love to get one, but I wont have a phone come October so I'm not to worried about it.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
i need notifications for missed calls, texts, voicemails, emails, facebook, tweets, and WWF... do lumia's have a flashing notification light?
Lumia's do not have a flashing notification light like BBs or most Androids, however missed calls, text, calendar all show up in the locked screen. The screen does flash with an incoming message as well as show what the message is.

I was a very happy Android user for 2 years having used 1.6 through 4.03 and a brief stint (1 week} with JB. It was time to move on, I was tired of the constant tinkering I had to do to make it work to my satisfaction. The widgets began to look clutterd and hard to remember which screen had what. I also have an iPad but one iDevice is enough for me :D, so now I am an happy WP owner.

I find the OS smooth, clean, fluid, and fast. The notifications and the presentation of them I like very much and have no complaints.

There are only two apps that I need that have no WP version and I hope it is coming.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism