8S vs L800

lomax_hjs

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

If been using my lumia 800 for almost a year now, like the os but dont like the battery.
(think it is partly because of that terrible wp whatsapp, but that is what everybody use in the Netherlands)

WP8 seems quiet a big step and the price of the 8S is very nice, but the 8S has a dual core 1ghz cpu where the lumia has a 1.4 ghz cpu. How do they compare?

I will miss some Nokia apps but dont use them very often.
Use the lumia for surfing, music (better audio on the 8S) & whatsapp so no heavy user ;)

Any advice?

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I will preface my opinion with the fact that I know a little bit about how processors work, so my statement may be right or wrong.

That being said, the Lumia 800 only had a single core processor while the 8S has a dual core processor. While the clock speed may be lower on the 8S, it will still be plenty quick because it can divide intensive tasks between the two cores.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, WP8 is the future, while L800 running WP7.5 is the past.

If you really feel that your L800 is not good enough, I suggest getting the 8S or the 820 if you are concerned over the budget, and the L920 or the 8X if you have no qualms over the budget.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
You'll enjoy a better app selection in future and much better performance right now (really fast loading times for apps and no more laggy swiping when you first launch the app). Keep in mind the low amount of internal storage on the 8S though, and it seems you will only be able to install apps to that storage. I think you should wait for a review of it so you can work out how much storage is available after formatting and the OS install, if it's like 1GB it might be a pretty crap experience.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Get the 8S.

It has Micro-SD support so you will be able to expand the storage, the screen is bigger and so it's the battery, a way better processor and Windows Phone 8. There's an odd chance that the camera might be better also.

A worthy upgrade in my opinion.

Last edited:

dharmababa

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
How about the L820? (Assuming it is available where you are)

The 8S has 512MB RAM vs 1GB in the 820. That will make a big difference for resuming apps and multitasking. WP8 is going to take more memory due to the more powerful Win8 core.

Too bad since the two tone look is cool.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Uh yeah for sure! Where'd you see that pricing? I would think it should be:

8S < 820 < 8X/920

It's not - at least not in the UK - the 820 is about ?399 and the 8X is ?379 depending on where you get it - at worse they are the same price and the 8X has a far superior screen to the 820.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the 820 is too expensive, if you are looking for something cheap get the 8S. That was going to be my purchase until the Nexus pricing announcement.

lomax_hjs

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
What about the 8S has only 512mb and all the others have a gieg.
With what app will that be a limitation ?

oh wait, today i win that foon ofcourse from the frontpage :p

Last edited:

ramcoza

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3