Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By HeyCori
  • 1 Post By ycy198472
  • 1 Post By tk-093

cause 920 does not support vpn. thats the only problem, everything else is good
    especially the camera of 920, i really cannot give it up. but without vpn can be a big problem for me.
    so thats the only thing i feel disappointing about 920

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Why do you need VPN on a phone?

Quote Originally Posted by bigpython View Post
    especially the camera of 920, i really cannot give it up. but without vpn can be a big problem for me.
    Do we know this for a fact? I know 7.x didn't, but I wouldn't be surprised now with native code access to a Win NT shared code kernel that VPN clients couldn't be written for 8.x now. I'm not a dev, so I don't know for sure of course.

Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Why do you need VPN on a phone?
    Exactly, are we still in 1990's ?
    VPN support can be addes via an app - AFAIK, the network stack does support it, so it just needs a decent app porting over

VPN's are vital in the 2010's - A VPN is the only way I can access the switches at work which is why I still have my old trusty N900, The VPN access is established and then I have full SSH access to every network device and as it is a N900, I have a full keyboard as well.
    I can't tell you how grateful I am for that as well as all the times it has enabled me to fix issues without having to head into work...
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpython View Post
    Cool story, bro. Next time post in the right forum.
    metalchick719 likes this.
    Wow. VPN. I mean, sure, some stuff needs it. Still, can't you get a proper laptop for that stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by Heron_Kusanagi View Post
    Wow. VPN. I mean, sure, some stuff needs it. Still, can't you get a proper laptop for that stuff?

I could, but the whole point is that I can support the network while out and about without having to carry a laptop around with me. To be fair, the N900 was a unique phone as it was Linux based so it was actually very powerful

Don't dis VPN's, they are becoming more popular, not less as more and more governments try to control what we can access, more people are running their own VPN to get around it.
    Alot of companies also insist on VPN's for external access for staff

For guys in China, vpn is very important. Otherwise, you can not use facebook, twitter...
    aubreyq likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmacleodbrown View Post
    I could, but the whole point is that I can support the network while out and about without having to carry a laptop around with me. To be fair, the N900 was a unique phone as it was Linux based so it was actually very powerful

Don't dis VPN's, they are becoming more popular, not less as more and more governments try to control what we can access, more people are running their own VPN to get around it.
    Alot of companies also insist on VPN's for external access for staff
    Not dissing it. I use VPNs for work too, but I rather have more screen estate and a keyboard to do work on. I mean, sure, it is a good thing to have, extra features wouldn't hurt and it is your needs that matter in you buying a phone. Still, I have to say that as a make or break feature, VPN is pretty far out there.

Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmacleodbrown View Post
    VPN support can be addes via an app - AFAIK, the network stack does support it, so it just needs a decent app porting over.

Are you sure that is all that is required? Making a VPN connection with an app is just half of the problem. The other half is making sure it stays connected when you switch apps.. If WP8 doesn't allow a VPN connection to stay connected in the background then the app is pretty useless. I would also think that if they DID support VPN out of the box it would have been something they would have talked about.
    aubreyq likes this.

NEXUS4 with no 4G LTE nuff said