Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Be honest, let's bring it, current Nokia Lumia / WP 8 fanatics / disappointed (beta) testers! Or I should revive this thread next year so I could get a more definitive answer on people's take on this in the long run.

Full Disclosure: I love gadgets and am a huge fan of Nokia hardware during it's glory days of dumb phones. But I've abandoned them from the time I purchased my first iPhone. I've been testing all other smartphones in other platforms whenever I have the chance in the stores.

For the first time ever, for a change and something different (being an iLoyalist and still on AT&T with my unlock iPhone 5), am gonna buy within the next few days on full price (unlock) Nokia Lumia 920 and LG Nexus 4 (all on AT&T until my contract expires using a sim adapter etc).

After reading comprehensively this message board and all the reviews of WP, BB and Droid devices and OS, I have this feeling, am gonna in the end, go back and even appreciate more all the things I love in iOS and iPhone. But still, am gonna do this test and so I can finally see it for myself ... for the love of gadgets!

Am really excited since in my mind, a toy'sh looking yellow Lumia 920 will perfectly compliment a black iPhone 5. Having a hard time on finding the perfect Droid device for me since the Nexus 4 / Droid is very similar to iOS and even LG Nexus 4's form factor.

YOU should try Lumia 920 for 14 days (trial period), then YOU know it, not by reading forums :)

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    OK, I'll be honest. I've had my 3GS now for three years and I have ZERO interest in the iPhone 5 and its very stale OS.

WP8 and Android interest me A LOT more.

I've been trying / testing all the Lumias and WP OS in the stores. And will own / fully test / use it in real world for the next 2 years, buddy (since now I can afford to have all of them at the same time) ... Just to be in the safe side - am keeping and will be using my favorite and so dependable / reliable iGadgets at the same time. :D
    Last edited by 1220Ac; 11-17-2012 at 08:54 AM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Right now its because of the novelty. Otherwise feature, functionality and most importantly APPS wise Android and iOS are ahead.

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    Right now its because of the novelty. Otherwise feature, functionality and most importantly APPS wise Android and iOS are ahead.
    This is to be expected and not something that will surprise someone buying a WP8. iOS and Android should be ahead.
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    I had an iPhone 4s it only took 5 days for the novelty of that device to wear off me traded it for a Titan II best deal I ever made.I should hope that the OP of this thread would keep his opinion mute till he actually uses a Windows Phone.
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    I had an iPhone 4s it only took 5 days for the novelty of that device to wear off me traded it for a Titan II best deal I ever made.I should hope that the OP of this thread would keep his opinion mute till he actually uses a Windows Phone.
    That's because there are no novelty features in iPhone 4S, so I'm not sure what exactly was it that wore off after 5 days. iOS is and has always been strictly about its incredible eco system. The OS alone offers nothing.

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    That's because there are no novelty features in iPhone 4S, so I'm not sure what exactly was it that wore off after 5 days. iOS is and has always been strictly about its incredible eco system. The OS alone offers nothing.
    That's not necessarily true. IO's offers app switching and a totally useless notification system...��
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    That's not necessarily true. IO's offers app switching and a totally useless notification system...��
    Totally useless notification system? And you use Windows Phone? You know what they say about a someone living in a glass house throwing stones at others :p

Quote Originally Posted by 1220Ac View Post
    Be honest, let's bring it, current Nokia Lumia / WP 8 fanatics / disappointed (beta) testers! Or I should revive this thread next year so I could get a more definitive answer on people's take on this in the long run.

Full Disclosure: I love gadgets and am a huge fan of Nokia hardware during it's glory days of dumb phones. But I've abandoned them from the time I purchased my first iPhone. I've been testing all other smartphones in other platforms whenever I have the chance in the stores.

For the first time ever, for a change and something different (being an iLoyalist and still on AT&T with my unlock iPhone 5), am gonna buy within the next few days on full price (unlock) Nokia Lumia 920 and LG Nexus 4 (all on AT&T until my contract expires using a sim adapter etc).

After reading comprehensively this message board and all the reviews of WP, BB and Droid devices and OS, I have this feeling, am gonna in the end, go back and even appreciate more all the things I love in iOS and iPhone. But still, am gonna do this test and so I can finally see it for myself ... for the love of gadgets!

Am really excited since in my mind, a toy'sh looking yellow Lumia 920 will perfectly compliment a black iPhone 5. Having a hard time on finding the perfect Droid device for me since the Nexus 4 / Droid is very similar to iOS and even LG Nexus 4's form factor.
    sorry but to me the iPhone is one boring phone
    robinleck likes this.

Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    I left Android when the 900 came out. I have never owned and iPhone (I have 2 iPads). IMOP the Android OS is a hack job and most of the phones have super poor battery life. With IOS most people don't like the base OS if they did Jail Breaking would not be so popular.

With the 920 MSFT is so screwing up I just can not believe it. My 920 will be going back in 13 days and I'm going back to my 900 if they do not fix this huge cluster f$#@. What is that you might ask...there is no way with windows phone 8 to sync your purchased XBOX videos to your device and the software they have to replace the Zune app is a POS.

So I agree with the OP but only for WP8.

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    Totally useless notification system? And you use Windows Phone? You know what they say about a someone living in a glass house throwing stones at others :p
    I need to know one thing when I look ay my device... Has my daughter who is away at college posted anything. How many steps on iPhone at least 4 counting turning on the phone. On WP all Windows Phones no matter the generation-1.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    microsoft messed up. they shouldn't have released windows phone yet. it's too buggy. i am having so many unresolved issues i am going to take it back.

edit, i really like the phone though. i am going to take this back and bring my computer in with me. and if they can produce a lumia 920 that works with internet sharing, and that will let me sync my files then i'll take it. if not then i'm probably going to go back to my iphone 4 or maybe get an iphone 5

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graigsmith View Post
    microsoft messed up. they shouldn't have released windows phone yet. it's too buggy. i am having so many unresolved issues i am going to take it back.edit, i really like the phone though. i am going to take this back and bring my computer in with me. and if they can produce a lumia 920 that works with internet sharing, and that will let me sync my files then i'll take it. if not then i'm probably going to go back to my iphone 4 or maybe get an iphone 5
    I hope you get somebody who knows Windows Phone because you shouldn't be having issues like that. Use the predicted text on the Windows Phone keyboard then tell me you prefer IO's. No way iPhone keyboard beats Windows Phone 8 keyboard.
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I need to know one thing when I look ay my device... Has my daughter who is away at college posted anything. How many steps on iPhone at least 4 counting turning on the phone. On WP all Windows Phones no matter the generation-1.
    Yes, in theory that is how Windows Phone should work. But let's not pretend here, we all know how inconsistent the whole push notification and live tile system on WP is. Not to mention the lack of a notification centre altogether. WP might be good in a lot of things, but notifications? Not a chance, not currently at least.

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    Yes, in theory that is how Windows Phone should work. But let's not pretend here, we all know how inconsistent the whole push notification and live tile system on WP is. Not to mention the lack of a notification centre altogether. WP might be good in a lot of things, but notifications? Not a chance, not currently at least.
    I disagree I don't have issue with push notifications. With my live tiles I have no use for a notification center. Its a different way of thinking that is for sure I don't expect everyone will get it.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Yes, please go back to iPhone. No more posts needed by you. Good bye.

Yeah! IPhone 5 is so ANOREXICALLY thin & EMPTILY light, I love to hate it.
    The problem with these trolls is that they GATECRASH on their rival's forum and start to impose their self-righteous, narrow-minded views on us.
    They live such a pathetic & freakishly trivia life, I feel sad for them.
    Like they say... Empty vessels make more noise :D
    Sent from my Windows 8.1 Vivotab Smart Tablet PC ��

Quote Originally Posted by 1220Ac View Post

Have you listened to your self? You are one sad individual, if you have nothing better to do but come here and spew trash like that. The title you used says it all. For God's sake people don't give this guy another second of your time.

Don't bother trading. just stay with your iPhone. It seems you already made up your mind on hating the operating system and the hardware.
  22. Vov

The OP did not word it elegantly, but Windows Phone OS needs more negative press from the tech journalists. Yes, the OS is beautiful and everything is smooth, which is why most critics like Windows Phone. However, none of them would want to use Windows Phone in its current state. It is missing way too many important features.

iPhone could get away with launching with little extra features because it was the first to do so many things. Android made a dent by being customizable. I love this site, but they need to do a better job calling out what is missing in this OS. Microsoft is playing with fire advertising this OS that is missing tons of features that were demanded in iOS/Android. When people, like me, want something different only to find out the OS is a skeleton of what I expected, it is going to hurt the image. Windows Phone 7 users already felt a sting when 8 was announced and now 8 users feel the OS was rushed.

I think fans of this OS, because live tiles are awesome and it is a slick interface, need to expect Microsoft and the journalists covering Windows Phone to really put thought into what users (current and new) would benefit from most.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    "Use the predicted text on the Windows Phone keyboard then tell me you prefer IO's"

yeah i like that feature. but the iphone 5 i got lets you just hit the microphone button on the keyboard, and then you say what you wanna say, and it types it in for you. the speech recognition is working pretty well on my iphone 5

I obviously agree on APPS but feature and functionality I TOTALLY disagree. I have had pretty good luck though. NO bugs at all. Got the phone in less than 5 minutes it was setup and ready to go within 15 minutes all my documents were on the phone from skydrive as well as some pics and some music I had on there. My email accounts, documents I have been working on in office, calendar, task lists have all remained synced between my lumia 822 and my pc without any effort on my part. I turned on Bluetooth turned on my Tacoma and played my music (after syncing the rest with my pc) over my Bluetooth stereo without a hitch. I used the navigation (which is way better than ANY phone navigation system out there, I travel a lot for estimates and I have used them all) to take me on a two day trip with my family and find everything we wanted along the way once again without a hitch. I have searched the net and watched youtube videos. I have sent pics, videos, and voice notes. I have a startup screen that is far more simple and easy to use than my droid. I have had the phone for 5 days and have charged it 4 times (one was when it was plugged in on my trip while using gps).

All of that is common stuff that I expect to be able to do. My 822 does all these things and in my opinion much more efficiently than its competitors. There is no question it does them as well.

The kicker to all this is in 5 days it has crashed or frozen exactly 0 times. Compared to my droid freezing or crashing at least once a day.

Apps yes functionality no way.

I do acknowledge however that I don't know much and my opinion is pretty much meaningless......this is just my experience in the last 5 days. I am sold on wp8.

also I can hit the microphone button on my lumia 822 and it types what I want as well. not to mention the voice activation by just holding down the windows key and saying what I want to do or who I want to text or call is incredibly accurate. I am wondering what features I am missing in this phone that I had on android? I haven't found any besides swipe yet that are even worth mentioning. Someone should come up with a list of features wp is missing so we can look at them and discuss them. Not being argumentative I am saying that might be a helpful thing to do.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast