Can't decide between this and the iPhone 5...

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The one complaint that I read about 8x owners is the lack of expandable storage, so keep that in mind. So far I'm loving my 822. Very underrated in my opinion.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Does the 8X really have that many issues?

The most common defects are probably the rebootings. Then there have been some reports of the finish getting black/darker through use from corners etc, but this is quite a rare report. If you search through these 8X forums you get a pretty good image of the common things, but you have to remember that just cos there are a lot of threads about it doenst mean they are all defected, people are just more eager to ask about a defect than come here like "HEY MY PHONE WORKS PERFECTLY" kinda of thing :p

And also, we are probably now at least at a second batch of devices, which means that some early flaws have probably been fixed hardware wise.

ZMeshign

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think this really depends on your requirements, and nothing else as you might have heard from other people already.
The 8X is a great device in my opinion, it offers something different. This phone virtually has every app I need... Even for apps like Whatsapp that is not released yet, there are better replacements such as Kik Messenger that you can use.

I also suggest that you don't worry about the reboot issues because usually some phones in the first batch of most HTC phones that are released have some kind of issue but they are always fixed in the later versions. Even if you do get a defective phone (though it's very unlikely), I am guessing that you will be able to take it back for a replacement or contact HTC about it for one.

Regarding the camera, it's true that iPhone 5 may offer a better overall performance - but what you need to look at is the effect of these things in real life.
I think that reviews are formed of deep technical opinions of some person about the phone, but in real life when you are going to take pictures the 8X won't really have that much difference to disappoint you, unless you are a professional photographer/editor or something. It still takes good enough pictures for a phone.

Lastly, I think you can use the "Windows Phone" app on the Mac App Store to sync the 8X with your iTunes library but I'm not 100% sure about it as I have never used it myself.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
What's this talk about no Whatsapp? I have one for a good while now? o.o I read that it temporarily disappeared from the store, but I thought it was back? And even then, it obviously is on the platform and works fine for me too.

Or is this something to do with Nokia vs. HTC and HTC not having the app?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
WhatsApp has been temporarily pulled from the store until the WP8 version is released in about a month.

And OP, it's time to Think Different. Get the 8X. ;)

kinslayer

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The best way really is to try it. Get it and live with it for 14 days. That is how you will truly judge it. If it is the $35 fee that is stopping you, I will seriously pay it for you. I am that confident you will like it as an overall package. Just PM me here if you end up returning it.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
If you were on AT&T, I would suggest the 920. But since you are on Verizon, get the 8X. The 822 is not as good, because it doesn't have as good as a screen. But it has more exclusive apps.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
WhatsApp has been temporarily pulled from the store until the WP8 version is released in about a month.

And OP, it's time to Think Different. Get the 8X. ;)

How do you know its going to be released in about a month? The email that's been circulating says there's no timeline I think.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I was told by their support "about a month."

It's tempting me to switch over to Kik, which is available now (and doesn't pull stunts like taking the client offline for months at a time).

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
If you're concerned about the restocking fee you can get the phone from Best Buy if there's one nearby. No restocking fee on returns or exchanges and they carry the iPhone as well.

RSB54

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Try to take this decision a bit rationally. I know people will make terrific sounding statements that make the iPhone look like crap in front of windows phone but try to take this decision a bit cool headedly. I suggest you look at what you are going to do most with your device and what you will actually use the device for?

When I asked myself that I said I need a very solid instant messaging system that will work with people who are on other platforms. Unfortunately as one of my recent topics discusses, there is NO solid, reliable instant messaging system on wp8.

The iPhone on the other hand has iMessage (which given iOS and Mac's popularity, a lot of people use) and also whatsapp.

Sure windows phone looks flashy, stable and fresh but the real question is will it serve you or bog you down. Fortunately I stopped myself before I could jump ship and switch to windows phone. I'm going to wait until at least whatsapp comes out if it does and I may possibly consider blackberry 10 especially since here in Canada and elsewhere in the world it is still somewhat popular and bb10 has features (like BBM Voice) and solid multitasking that will actually make my life easier.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I have WhatsApp on my WP7.5, sure hope it is available on WP8.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
If you were on AT&T, I would suggest the 920. But since you are on Verizon, get the 8X. The 822 is not as good, because it doesn't have as good as a screen. But it has more exclusive apps.

Funny, I'd say the 822 is better. Removable and larger battery, super sensitive touch screen, expandable storage, Nokia exclusive apps. The screen resolution is negligible to me. It's only 4.3 inches, so I don't need HD resolution, I think the 822's screen looks better, and the battery life is likely better.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd say try it for 13 days. If you decide WP isn't for you take back and get the IP5. I'd recommend giving L822 a look before making a WP decision though.

zokstar

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Do you use your phone as a music player? If so, right now WP8 + music sync'ing + adding songs etc is a bit of a mess... You can work around these, but I guess if you have a lot of music already in iTunes if could be a bit of a mission.

wpnewbie

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Just an FYI ... What's app is available on 7.5 and we had a comment from what's app team that the app will be 6 times faster on wp 8 when compared to wp 7.5 .. So it should arrive in a few weeks or a month