Can't decide between this and the iPhone 5...

Vgameman2012

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
So I have an upgrade due next month on Verizon, and for the life of me cannot decide between these two phones. I'm looking at these two mainly for their size and form factor. I have a Galaxy Nexus, and the screen is just far too large for my tastes, and the battery life is abysmal. But anyways...

I've owned an iPod since about '06, so my iTunes library is rather large. I also have an iPod Touch, so I have a fair amount of games for iOS as well, but the OS is just becoming so boring to me.

I love the look and feel of the HTC, as well as WP8, but there are some things worrying me, namely the discoloration on the back and sides of the phone, and the rebooting, missed call tone going off when silenced, and other things. I also have heard many say that the iPhone 5 overall has a better camera, and picture quality is very important to me in a phone. Also, the lack of navigation (although the iPhone's isn't that fantastic anyways) kind of irks me.

Pretty much I'm just asking for a comparison here. What exactly can this phone and WP8 offer me that iOS cant and vice versa? I'm having such a hard time here :(

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Make a statement, get the 8X!

You know there is nothing original about the thing anymore when parents and grandparents start having em! :D

But I can't give you a very sophisticated answer except that I love the Lumia 920 and wouldn't consider any other phone at this time myself.

I wouldn't worry about the camera, the iPhone 5 might be a tad better (which itself isn't much either) but the 8X is definitely not a bad camera to be a phone. The way I see it, the only thing really holding you back would probably be the ecosystem and having lots of songs and games on iTunes. That said, I understand you worrying about reboots, I'm not sure how widespread the issue really is. Since you live in the US, don't you pretty much have the "Bring it back within 2 weeks for whatever reason" kinda thing? So perhaps start off with the 8X and see if you can "live with" the features and possible flaws.

Vgameman2012

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
That's what I was thinking about doing, but then there's the $35 restocking fee...

I don't know, I'm still having a hard time deciding lol.

freelancebaker

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
IMO, the iPhone 5 can't hold a candle to my Lumia 920. I haven't had much time to play with the HTC 8X, but I know that the OS is better than iOS. I had some hang ups the first day I had my phone, but since then (about two weeks) everything has been fine. As far as picture quality goes, any of these phones will be great for a camera phone. There's a pretty good comparison on cnet if you wanna take a look. If you're looking the change things up, Windows phone is the way to go.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Try to take this decision a bit rationally. I know people will make terrific sounding statements that make the iPhone look like crap in front of windows phone but try to take this decision a bit cool headedly. I suggest you look at what you are going to do most with your device and what you will actually use the device for?

When I asked myself that I said I need a very solid instant messaging system that will work with people who are on other platforms. Unfortunately as one of my recent topics discusses, there is NO solid, reliable instant messaging system on wp8.

The iPhone on the other hand has iMessage (which given iOS and Mac's popularity, a lot of people use) and also whatsapp.

Sure windows phone looks flashy, stable and fresh but the real question is will it serve you or bog you down. Fortunately I stopped myself before I could jump ship and switch to windows phone. I'm going to wait until at least whatsapp comes out if it does and I may possibly consider blackberry 10 especially since here in Canada and elsewhere in the world it is still somewhat popular and bb10 has features (like BBM Voice) and solid multitasking that will actually make my life easier.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Vgameman2012

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My phone is my only camera pretty much. I also use Facebook quite a lot. I've heard you can Facebook message people in the regular Messaging app on WP8? The notification center is also something I'd miss though, considering sometimes I'm at work and would just like a quick view of who called me and who texted me and whatnot. I also use my phone for music purposes, and I know this phone has the Beats Audio that kicks in when using headphones. Idk, I love the look of WP8 and the fact that's its so different than the other OS's... But at the same thing I need something functional.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Facebook chat's reliability is questionable. Everyone seems to say that the Facebook app is horrible. The camera is no doubt excellent on the Lumia 920 but the 8X and iPhone 5 camera would be about the same. You could use the live tiles as your notification centre. You could go for an iPhone now and then easily sell it later on once you have more confidence in the windows phone ecosystem.

Vgameman2012

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Facebook chat's reliability is questionable. Everyone seems to say that the Facebook app is horrible. The camera is no doubt excellent on the Lumia 920 but the 8X and iPhone 5 camera would be about the same. You could use the live tiles as your notification centre. You could go for an iPhone now and then easily sell it later on once you have more confidence in the windows phone ecosystem.

True, because iPhones have ridiculous resale value.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
True, because iPhones have ridiculous resale value.

Yah and Apple does small incremental upgrades and people just trust iPhone so much they're always out to buy one.

I also find iOS very boring and even nauseating. Windows phone on the other hand is absolutely beautiful and the apps that serious developers churn out seem to be far better than their iOS or android counterparts.

I asked a friend who got the iPhone 5, what she uses it for mostly. I was kind of surprised with her answer because the stuff that most people do with their phones does not justify such an expensive device.

Vgameman2012

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yah and Apple does small incremental upgrades and people just trust iPhone so much they're always out to buy one.

That's kinda the way I am. I just know it works. But it's still the same, boring iOS. And everyone and their brother has an iPhone.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I was really considering the iPhone 5. It's a slick device. But to me it's very boring, it's not nerdy or expressive enough for me. The big reason I went with the Lumia 920 (HD7 was my previous device) is that I have Zune Pass or Xbox Music if that's what they call it now. I enjoy Windows Phone and I hope they bring some killer features over from Windows 8. Another thing on my wish list is more integration with Windows PCs and the Xbox. Once the whole ecosystem is in effect, it will be way better than the Apple family imo.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah and I guess a lot of Xbox gamers will eventually turn over especially when the next gen Xbox shows up.

Vgameman2012

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I was really considering the iPhone 5. It's a slick device. But to me it's very boring, it's not nerdy or expressive enough for me. The big reason I went with the Lumia 920 (HD7 was my previous device) is that I have Zune Pass or Xbox Music if that's what they call it now. I enjoy Windows Phone and I hope they bring some killer features over from Windows 8. Another thing on my wish list is more integration with Windows PCs and the Xbox. Once the whole ecosystem is in effect, it will be way better than the Apple family imo.

Yup, that's pretty much the only thing keeping me from getting it. It's just.... Another iPhone.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
You should check out some BlackBerry 10 previews. It looks promising with its concept of 'flow'.

Nostr3z

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
HTC 8X wins for me as it looks great and feels good in the hand.
Small amount of customize somewhat between ios and android.
Covers are nice and apps will grow.
Its a phone that has all the needs i want and it looks modern to, wich i can not say about the iPhone simply because its more of the same.
I have a one x to, will take some fantastic enhancments to go back to that Android as for WP8 is a dream to have as os.
I go where the action is, so i am not a ****** of what platform or brand.
I will see what phone is in my hand between now and 2 years.
For now.....WP8.

Greetings

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
My Facebook chat has worked flawlessly and I love the integration of it. It does lack some features like groups etc, but I dont even use any other form of Facebook anymore, really, except on desktop. It has the chats and the most basic features, which is all I personally use.

WP8 also does have a Whatsapp and I've had no problems with that so far either.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

Everyone replying about the 920 FORGETS that the post starts with "I have an upgrade on VERIZON" which means his choices are limited to the 8X or the 822 or possibly waiting for the Odyssey (ATIV S?). So let's stop with the praise of the 920 - doesn't help Vgameman2012 with his decision>

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Everyone replying about the 920 FORGETS that the post starts with "I have an upgrade on VERIZON" which means his choices are limited to the 8X or the 822 or possibly waiting for the Odyssey (ATIV S?). So let's stop with the praise of the 920 - doesn't help Vgameman2012 with his decision>

The OS is still the same, performance wise so is most of the hardware. That said, the 8X seems to have it's own hardware issues, but generally speaking using 920 as experience to share here is mostly viable if you ask me.

The person you quote says the main reason he went for a 920 was Xbox music, that is available all the same on 8X, why would his experience, despite 920, be irrelevant for this thread?