HTC 8S now or wait for Lumia 620?

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So I decided that a Lumia 920 would be too expensive and in the end I would end up just doing the same old basic tasks like web browsing, Twitter, YouTube and messaging regardless of which phone I got. The more than double cost of the 920 doesn't sound too justified especially since I'm going to be trying to cut down on my cell phone bill.

So now I have a choice between getting an HTC 8S for $279 from Virgin Mobile right away or waiting for the Lumia 620. All I can do is wait in the case of the 620 because there's no word on whether its even coming out in Canada and how much higher or lower it would be from the $250 price tag its said to have.

Comparing the devices the 620 looks quite a bit more attractive with its much more reasonable 8GB internal storage and lower price tag. The 0.2" smaller screen would be a slight shortcoming but apart from that I have no idea whether there's any significant/noticeable difference between the devices.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
tough call.
you also need to consider the Nokia Collection vs. HTC apps.
both are good phones but the extras Nokia brings to the table might make the wait worth while.

what about the 820? I'm trying to find it but thought the 820 was heading to Canada.... or maybe it was Expansys.ca was offering the 820.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Been doing a lot of research in 8S so here is what I gathered:

The 8S is THE BEST looking WP8 device out there.

It has 1GHz Snapdragon processor whereas all other devices have 1.5.

8S has 4GB of internal memory which is 2.X GB for the System and rest for the user.

People with tons of apps can't handle the phone as it is very low on internal memory BUT, HOWEVER, people who have it and use minimal apps are as happy as anyone else.

I am more or less like u, very little apps and basic stuff.

However, a word of caution: IF, u plan to change your mind in the future and get a few games and apps, u will face issues. How? A couple of games in market are already out which loook waay better than the current lot of games which require a minimum of 1GB RAM. The 8S has only 512MB.

After months of research, I am now considering the Lumia 820. But price tag of 820 will be a make or break for me.
I don't know about 620 but I just find it horribly ugly. Personal opinion.

Hope that helped.

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
So I decided that a Lumia 920 would be too expensive and in the end I would end up just doing the same old basic tasks like web browsing, Twitter, YouTube and messaging regardless of which phone I got. The more than double cost of the 920 doesn't sound too justified especially since I'm going to be trying to cut down on my cell phone bill.

So now I have a choice between getting an HTC 8S for $279 from Virgin Mobile right away or waiting for the Lumia 620. All I can do is wait in the case of the 620 because there's no word on whether its even coming out in Canada and how much higher or lower it would be from the $250 price tag its said to have.

Comparing the devices the 620 looks quite a bit more attractive with its much more reasonable 8GB internal storage and lower price tag. The 0.2" smaller screen would be a slight shortcoming but apart from that I have no idea whether there's any significant/noticeable difference between the devices.
Expansys.ca has the Lumia 620 listed for $305 and HTC 8S for $370, but Bell-Virgin has the 8S on offer for $280. Wind Mobile reportedly said they'll announce a WP8 phone at some point, wouldn't be surprised if it is the Lumia 620 (to succeed the 710 in the budget-line).

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm not so sure about the utility of the Nokia apps. I don't drove but then there are small apps that are cool like the panorama thing and exclusive apps.

I have my Nexus 7 for games. The question is are there or will there be apps that are compelling but the 8S can't handle?

The 820 is on the expensive side and I get tempted to shell out just a lil more and get something even better.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm not so sure about the utility of the Nokia apps. I don't drove but then there are small apps that are cool like the panorama thing and exclusive apps.

I have my Nexus 7 for games. The question is are there or will there be apps that are compelling but the 8S can't handle?

The 820 is on the expensive side and I get tempted to shell out just a lil more and get something even better.

Just like me. The Nokia apps are hardly of any use to me. How many times am I going to fish out my 820 to see the surrounding caf?s with Nokia CityLens?

And as I don't drive, the maps and all is practically useless. Just saw the 8S today and thought it was a bit small. But again, the resolution is crisp. Just the memory ....DAMIT! The one on display had 1.07 GB free for apps. Didn't have an SD card.

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
the HTC 8S is the best looking WP8 Phone but with only 4GB of storage, 2GB of which is taken up by the OS and then so much is taken up by "other" you are left with about 1.3GB for apps,
you'd be lucky to get more than 20 apps on your phone and then its almost full.

im having the same dilemma as I want the 8S as it looks awesome but the 620 has better specs and 8GB of internal storage, but from the photos it doesn't look nice, it looks like a fisher price kids toy (maybe my opinion will change when I see what in store).

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3