920 or ATIV S?

roxxas2

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the states on AT&T and I'm a bit sick of waiting. That 920 is starting to look really good. Should I keep waiting for the ATIV S to come out on AT&T or should I just get the 920?

Does anyone know if the ATIV S will even come OUT in North America

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the states on AT&T and I'm a bit sick of waiting. That 920 is starting to look really good. Should I keep waiting for the ATIV S to come out on AT&T or should I just get the 920?

Does anyone know if the ATIV S will even come OUT in North America

Not sure about the US, but in Canada, its available on all major providers (Bell, Rogers, Telus)

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
What is Your deciding factor towards the Ativ as it is now?

I had two major concerns with the 920 before I got it. Size and Weight.

It took me about 10 minutes to get used to and by now I wouldn't want it any other way.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
What is Your deciding factor towards the Ativ as it is now?

I had two major concerns with the 920 before I got it. Size and Weight.

It took me about 10 minutes to get used to and by now I wouldn't want it any other way.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
Same. The only deciding factors I would go for Ativ instead of L920:
-The weight
-The expendable storage
-Removable battery

For everything else I would take L920 any day, just a superior device all-around. To name a few:
-Camera and IS video shoot
-Nokia exclusive apps and OS support
-Cool, like-no-other design and colour options. Best design FOR the WP interface in my opinion. The Ativ you could simply imagine it with Android
-Super-sensitive touchscreen, wireless charging, rich-recording technology

roxxas2

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm really just a Samsung ******. But if you all say there won't be a Samsung Windows Phone 8 for AT&T within this year, I'll just go for the 920.

SevenDead1ySinz

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Samsungs are nice, I buy alot of Samsung products, my last WP was the Samsung Focus. I can tell you that the Nokia Lumia 920 is one beautiful phone. 32GB's are plenty internal storage and Skydrive allows you a little extra. Weight is not an issue, seriously.... people think its this brick of a phone but the weight to me feels perfect for the phone. I also really like the polycarbonate body.

Between Samsung / Nokia, Nokia provides better continuous care for their phones. Samsung barely did anything with their first gen phones, and IMO the Ativ S is just a renamed GS3. I was really hoping Samsung would jump in with both feet for WP8 and design a really nice phone instead of copping out and just slapying WP8 on an android phone essentially. Nokia showed with the 900 that they will go out of their way to fix issues with their hardware, and in a somewhat timely manner. They already have put out an update trying to fix the camera and battery issues in the 920.

Thats my 2 cents.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'd go with Nokia just based on the fact they support their products 100%

Yea but, it is REALLY hard to give up the features that the 920 misses out on. Changable battery and expanadable storage. In this day and age those 2 things would be almost a deal breaker for a lot of people. I guess I could live with out the changable battery as long as it's got good life but, Microsoft's Flagship of the new OS with out one of the big features (MicroSDXC support)....sigh, almost a perfect phone...ALMOST

Still would of gotten one if it came to verizon tho...

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Depends on your preferences. Both devices have their strong sides. Camera, color choices, massive support, wireless charging are 920s strong points.
Expandable storage, removable battery and given this is Samsung, it will most likely have more accessories as well. But given that Ativ S launch was so quiet and unnoticed, I doubt there will be any kind of major support.

There are still no news on Ativ S availability in US. Nobody knows when or if it will get to AT&T. Who knows, by the time it gets to AT&T, there might be new hardware on the market.

Jari P

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Same. The only deciding factors I would go for Ativ instead of L920:
-The weight
-The expendable storage
-Removable battery

For everything else I would take L920 any day, just a superior device all-around. To name a few:
-Camera and IS video shoot
-Nokia exclusive apps and OS support
-Cool, like-no-other design and colour options. Best design FOR the WP interface in my opinion. The Ativ you could simply imagine it with Android
-Super-sensitive touchscreen, wireless charging, rich-recording technology

Agreed with all above ... just compare voice of videos to catch rich-recording technology (great microphones of Lumia 920) ... and outdoor visibility is also clearly better in Lumia 920 ... anyway, both are great wp8 phones ...

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
But the Samsung has a pentile screen which means you have 720 width for green only, red and blue are only 360 across - even the WP7.x generation was 480. Wouldn't touch a Samsung with a 40 foot barge pole while wearing a lead suit standing on an isolation mat double bagged down there and got every vaccination under the sun.

Same screen as the SGS3, iirc.
Which had an amazing screen.
People get bent out of shape about pentile, and its ridicolous on screens like the sgs3. On the Lumia800 it was a problem, but not on the screens like the SGS3.

Dont worry about the "ooo its pentile so its bad" thing, its just misinformation and ignorance.
Note that what I mean when I write ignorance is is a lack of Information, not some deep personal attack. So lets not fly off the handle :) .

That being said Id go for the 920.
Better screen
Gloved use
Nokia apps
Design
Direct Sunlight readability
Camera
Wireless charging

And much more.

Ativ has more Battery, but my 920 lasts about as long as my sgs3, which is very very good. And since i got a wireless charger on my nightstand i havent even thought about it.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I love my 920 and wouldn't consider trading it. Battery is awesome and 32GB is plenty for my needs. Got used to the size and weight and now prefer it because it's got a nice large screen which is easy to type on (for large fingers) and it feels more substantial than lighter phones. It's a killer device if you're aware of and okay with the current WP8 app selection.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Maybe they did something different for the Ativ, but you see no pixels on the sgs3s screen...
Pentile is really ONLY a problem on low res screens like wp7.5 devices and the likes (n9).

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I can see the pentile on my Ativ even at arm's length (I can read the manufacturers fine print at the bottom of the eye chart without squinting) but it doesn't bother me. The screen is still great. And as far as the "cheap junk" thing, my last Samsung phone was hurled across a parking lot about 40' and bounced twice before hitting a wood fence after my wife hung up on me, and survived 3 separate toilet swimming trips BEFORE I knew the rice trick (I did pull the battery right away) during 2 years of usage. It was still working great when I replaced it with my HD7, which lasted 16 months before it stopped taking a charge, forcing me to use an early upgrade on my current Ativ S instead of waiting for my income tax return and buying a 920 from Rogers and unlocking it like I originally planned.

That being said, 50000 has a good point about not buying a pentile device without seeing it first, cuz it really bothers some people. Spend a bit of time with a gs3 display model while you're waiting for the Ativ S to come out to assess whether it will be a problem. Or if you live close to the Canadian border, cross over and look at a Canadian Ativ S. All 3 major carriers here use the same bands as ATT, including LTE, and will also work on T-Mobile's dual HSPA+ as well. (once carrier unlocked)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs