Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Actually if you change the ISO Lumia day time pix rock!

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Last edited by tebugg; 01-09-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad0 View Post
    Well... more pictures are taken during the day than at night.. so.. they need to work a bit more on the jpeg processing, and I am sure that they will.
    of course they will. I was merely stating that the camera is top of class stuff and out of all the things you use it for, its not the best (yet) at one of them. But frankly, fix the algorithms and its the best there is, except for the 808 of course. someone remind me why Nokia ain't making dslr(s)? Would give canon and Nikon a run for their money

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Michael View Post
    of course they will. I was merely stating that the camera is top of class stuff and out of all the things you use it for, its not the best (yet) at one of them. But frankly, fix the algorithms and its the best there is, except for the 808 of course. someone remind me why Nokia ain't making dslr(s)? Would give canon and Nikon a run for their money
    The 808 is ridiculous haha, was Nokia just pointing out the can make a bad @ss camera but carriers will not allow them to jump that high so fast!?;)
    They want us to buy the 12 megapixel then 15/20/25.....

Thought I'd share this....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by tebugg View Post
    i think what's lost in this whole convo is the fact that the camera doesnt just take daylight pics. if you have to pick on this 1 thing about the lumia 920 camera to give another camera an advantage then the lumia 920's camera has already won. lets compare the lumia 920's camera to the iphone 5's in all camera category's (since after all you're talking about the camera and not just daytime pics)

daytime pics: i'll concede this to iphone 5 to prove my point although i dont think this is the case if you actually know how to take pics.
    nighttime pics: lumia 920
    daytime video: lumia 920
    nighttime video: lumia 920
    video audio (since this goes hand in hand with the video): lumia 920 with HAAC mics

so if we're talking about the camera of the lumia 920 vs. the iphone 5, the lumia 920 beats it period. as i already said, you have to really be nit picking to find 1 thing to give the iphone 5 an advantage. that says alot about the lumia 920's camera.
    I find this method of comparing phones very poor, although it it's all over the net. It's like Grade I math.
    A Grade V math would be more suited for this comparison, although still a simple method. In that method, you apply weights or percentages to each factor, rating on how important they are for you, and then you add them up.
    In my case, daylight photos constitute most of my camera activity. If I were to use percentages, daylight photos weight of 60%. Unfortunately, my L920 sucks at this chapter, and apparently I5 doesn't.
    Since i5 got over 60% of the points, L920 just can't beat it anymore, no matter who wins the other categories. Of course, other people will have other ratings based on their use and purpose, so there is no clear winner or loser.

Quote Originally Posted by Napocensis View Post
    I find this method of comparing phones very poor, although it it's all over the net. It's like Grade I math.
    A Grade V math would be more suited for this comparison, although still a simple method. In that method, you apply weights or percentages to each factor, rating on how important they are for you, and then you add them up.
    In my case, daylight photos constitute most of my camera activity. If I were to use percentages, daylight photos weight of 60%. Unfortunately, my L920 sucks at this chapter, and apparently I5 doesn't.
    Since i5 got over 60% of the points, L920 just can't beat it anymore, no matter who wins the other categories. Of course, other people will have other ratings based on their use and purpose, so there is no clear winner or loser.

You argument with weights is all flawed. Depending on the scoring within each category the Lumia 920 could still win overall so saying it couldn't is false.

I just took some photo from my lumia 920 (unupdated firmware yet) and my iphone 5 in daylight condition, same time, same focus point and with all automatic sertings in lumia 920. Look into my skypedrive folder via this link: (please Sort by Name)

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...HGUkcS28OMVWQs

hope it helps
    Thanked by:
    vlad0 

A bit more detail on the ip5, and it also seems like it got the color reproduction a bit more accurate, but... you are the only one who can really say if did or not.

The 920 is so much wider tho... very nice. The 920 shot seems like a more accurate representation of your compositional intent, the ip5 shot looks compromised..

Here is the detail from that

ip5

Quote Originally Posted by fancy0479 View Post
    One day, I've tried iPhone 5 and 920. The former take pictures like 1-2 times faster than 920.
    And I pressed the snap icon on iPhone 5, directly pressed down the snap button on 920.
    So this impressed me a lot in a slight bad way.
    I rarely use the camera button on 920, but touch to focus and shoot is great for me especially when i take my own photo using back camera

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts
    A bit more detail on the ip5, and it also seems like it got the color reproduction a bit more accurate, but... you are the only one who can really say if did or not.

The 920 is so much wider tho... very nice. The 920 shot seems like a more accurate representation of your compositional intent, the ip5 shot looks compromised..

http://i.imgur.com/cn45Q.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Z7f7S.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6ORLE.jpg

ip5
    http://i.imgur.com/lbC8g.jpg
    are these pics taken with latest firmware (Peurto Rico) or the old one?
    (Gaming Rig)
    CPU............................Intel E8400 @ 3.6Ghz
    Mobo....................................ASUS P5Q Pro
    RAM.............................4GB G.Skill DDR2 800
    HDD................................WD 6400AAKS HDD
    GPU............................MSI Cyclone GTX 460
    PSU..............................Corsair 650TX 650W
    Case..............................................CM 690
    Display...................Dell SP2208WFP (22 inch)
    O.S.........................Windows 7 Ultimatum 64

http://i.imgur.com/cn45Q.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Z7f7S.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6ORLE.jpg

ip5
    http://i.imgur.com/lbC8g.jpg
    Yes, the i5 has more details than the 920. if look at the sky color, i5 is more accrulated than 920, but if look at the building, 920 is more accrulated tham i5.

Look at the building on the left (the tallest one) you will see that the 920 has more details (there are some marks on the area around the flag, nad the poles of the building)

In my opinion, both of this cameras in the daylight condition are win-win position, yes i5 is a bit sharper but this 920 is not getting the firmware update yet. 920 is also good at the exposure area too.

It depends on the uses of people, but for me I rate for Lumia 920, because I am a DSLR user, so I just love the manual settings that come with stock camera app. If you want a bit better picture and easier controls of taking a picture, I recommend CameraPro app, that makes you get a great shot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick786us View Post
    are these pics taken with latest firmware (Peurto Rico) or the old one?
    old firmware, because my region has not released new one yet.

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitu Pham View Post
    old firmware, because my region has not released new one yet.
    The game will change once you get Peurto Rico update. This thread is to compare Lumia 920 having Peurto Rico update with iPhone 5. I think you are the best person to post the comparision once you get Peurto Rico update
    (Gaming Rig)
    Thanked by:

The game will change once you get Peurto Rico update. This thread is to compare Lumia 920 having Peurto Rico update with iPhone 5. I think you are the best person to post the comparision once you get Peurto Rico update
    I'll come back once I updated, thanks

Oh that sucks, I forget a bunch of people have not received the update yet.

So when did a update come out called Peurto Rico? As far as I know there is one called Portico, but not Peurto Rico.......

Quote Originally Posted by Davidkoh View Post
    You argument with weights is all flawed. Depending on the scoring within each category the Lumia 920 could still win overall so saying it couldn't is false.
    You are wrong, Davidkoh, the math always works. It’s just you need to pay attention when you read. I stated IN MY CASE, 60% of the pictures are in daylight, so L920 cannot win.
    I also stated “other people will have other ratings based on their use and purpose, so there is no clear winner or loser.” as Tebug concluded.

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thyttel View Post
    So when did a update come out called Peurto Rico? As far as I know there is one called Portico, but not Peurto Rico.......
    Lol I thought Portico is generally the short term used for Peurto Rico
    (Gaming Rig)

That's funny I'm from Puerto Rico n I know the difference between portico n Puerto Rico 😂

And no not a short term for Puerto rico😂😂😂

Amazing how well the 920 performs in motion. If you pause the video at certain moments you can really see how well details are preserved by the 920 during motion while the i5 and Nexus blur out pretty badly, could be a combination of OIS and the wider aperture allowing more light and faster framerate. Blacks are beautiful as well making the colors and details pop on the L920.

Last edited by JonesCK1; 01-10-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    Thanked by:
    maverick786us likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Napocensis View Post
    You are wrong, Davidkoh, the math always works. It’s just you need to pay attention when you read. I stated IN MY CASE, 60% of the pictures are in daylight, so L920 cannot win.
    I also stated “other people will have other ratings based on their use and purpose, so there is no clear winner or loser.” as Tebug concluded.
    That condition does not change anything, it is still dependant on how the points are distributed in each category and how the iPhone 5 and Lumia scores in them. Say that you rate the phones with 1-10 points in each category where 10 is the best. If the Lumia gets 1 and iPhone gets 10 in the daylight category and in every other of the 4 categories the iPhone gets 1 point and the Lumia gets 10. That would put the total weighted score to 0.4*4+0.6*10 = 7.6, the weighted score for the Lumia on the other hand would be 0.6*1+0.4*40=16.6 which means the Lumia would win the overall score.

So as I said, it is dependant on how the points are distributed within each category, I think you are thinking of the case when only the winner gets a score, but you did not specify that.

That condition does not change anything, it is still dependant on how the points are distributed in each category and how the iPhone 5 and Lumia scores in them. Say that you rate the phones with 1-10 points in each category where 10 is the best. If the Lumia gets 1 and iPhone gets 10 in the daylight category and in every other of the 4 categories the iPhone gets 1 point and the Lumia gets 10. That would put the total weighted score to 0.4*4+0.6*10 = 7.6, the weighted score for the Lumia on the other hand would be 0.6*1+0.4*40=16.6 which means the Lumia would win the overall score.

So as I said, it is dependant on how the points are distributed within each category, I think you are thinking of the case when only the winner gets a score, but you did not specify that.

True, and in my opinion photos are 50% of the optics, I do a lot of HD videos myself since I have a DSLR that does photos only, even if occasionaly I use my phone for photos in a pinch. The videos on the Lumia as you can see on my post above is just so much better than any cell phone out there, it rivals big boys like the Canon Vixia.

Also it's not just black and white, super bright super dark photos, you have to consider all options and even if the iphone 5 takes an edge at bright daylight, what about every other situation? outdoor shade, daylight later in the day, daylight indoors, night time bright lights, night time low lights, churches, catering halls, birthday parties, thanksgiving dinner... most situations for me does not involve outdoor day time shots. Camera performance has alwasy been measured by how well it does in low light because that's where most cameras struggle, unfortunately there is room for improvement in the day time shots for the L920 but from what I've seen, the issue is in post processing going from raw to jpeg, Apple may be adding a touch more edge enhancement on their photos.

True, I did not specify I was assigning only 1 and 0, I only said my method was still simplistic.

Your method of assigning points on a scale from 1 to 10 works, as long as you apply it correctly (you either have unbalanced weights or you assigned a score of 4 instead of 1).
    The correct way is:

i5: 10pt x 60% + 1pt x 10% + 1pt x 10%+ 1pt x 10%+ 1pt x 10%= 6.4

L920: 1pt x 60% + 10pt x 10%+ 10pt x 10%+ 10pt x 10%+ 10pt x 10%= 4.6

As you can see, i5 wins. Again, weights and scores will differ from user to user.
    Since this topic is more appropriate for Math Central than WP Central, I call it quit.
    Cheers.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast