Camera comparision between Lumia 920 and iPhone 5

thyttel

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Sv: Camera comparision between Lumia 920 and iPhone 5

The game will change once you get Peurto Rico update. This thread is to compare Lumia 920 having Peurto Rico update with iPhone 5. I think you are the best person to post the comparision once you get Peurto Rico update

So when did a update come out called Peurto Rico? As far as I know there is one called Portico, but not Peurto Rico.......

Napocensis

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You argument with weights is all flawed. Depending on the scoring within each category the Lumia 920 could still win overall so saying it couldn't is false.

You are wrong, Davidkoh, the math always works. It?s just you need to pay attention when you read. I stated IN MY CASE, 60% of the pictures are in daylight, so L920 cannot win.
I also stated ?other people will have other ratings based on their use and purpose, so there is no clear winner or loser.? as Tebug concluded.

JonesCK1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Amazing how well the 920 performs in motion. If you pause the video at certain moments you can really see how well details are preserved by the 920 during motion while the i5 and Nexus blur out pretty badly, could be a combination of OIS and the wider aperture allowing more light and faster framerate. Blacks are beautiful as well making the colors and details pop on the L920.

vlcsnap-2013-01-09-16h24m11s244_zpse03877eb.png

vlcsnap-2013-01-09-15h36m38s156_zps6ad53701.png

vlcsnap-2013-01-09-16h17m42s218_zpsf22c6f8a.png

vlcsnap-2013-01-09-15h35m13s76_zps56d9a56d.png

Last edited:

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
You are wrong, Davidkoh, the math always works. It’s just you need to pay attention when you read. I stated IN MY CASE, 60% of the pictures are in daylight, so L920 cannot win.
I also stated “other people will have other ratings based on their use and purpose, so there is no clear winner or loser.” as Tebug concluded.

That condition does not change anything, it is still dependant on how the points are distributed in each category and how the iPhone 5 and Lumia scores in them. Say that you rate the phones with 1-10 points in each category where 10 is the best. If the Lumia gets 1 and iPhone gets 10 in the daylight category and in every other of the 4 categories the iPhone gets 1 point and the Lumia gets 10. That would put the total weighted score to 0.4*4+0.6*10 = 7.6, the weighted score for the Lumia on the other hand would be 0.6*1+0.4*40=16.6 which means the Lumia would win the overall score.

So as I said, it is dependant on how the points are distributed within each category, I think you are thinking of the case when only the winner gets a score, but you did not specify that.

JonesCK1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
That condition does not change anything, it is still dependant on how the points are distributed in each category and how the iPhone 5 and Lumia scores in them. Say that you rate the phones with 1-10 points in each category where 10 is the best. If the Lumia gets 1 and iPhone gets 10 in the daylight category and in every other of the 4 categories the iPhone gets 1 point and the Lumia gets 10. That would put the total weighted score to 0.4*4+0.6*10 = 7.6, the weighted score for the Lumia on the other hand would be 0.6*1+0.4*40=16.6 which means the Lumia would win the overall score.

So as I said, it is dependant on how the points are distributed within each category, I think you are thinking of the case when only the winner gets a score, but you did not specify that.

True, and in my opinion photos are 50% of the optics, I do a lot of HD videos myself since I have a DSLR that does photos only, even if occasionaly I use my phone for photos in a pinch. The videos on the Lumia as you can see on my post above is just so much better than any cell phone out there, it rivals big boys like the Canon Vixia.

Also it's not just black and white, super bright super dark photos, you have to consider all options and even if the iphone 5 takes an edge at bright daylight, what about every other situation? outdoor shade, daylight later in the day, daylight indoors, night time bright lights, night time low lights, churches, catering halls, birthday parties, thanksgiving dinner... most situations for me does not involve outdoor day time shots. Camera performance has alwasy been measured by how well it does in low light because that's where most cameras struggle, unfortunately there is room for improvement in the day time shots for the L920 but from what I've seen, the issue is in post processing going from raw to jpeg, Apple may be adding a touch more edge enhancement on their photos.

Napocensis

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

True, I did not specify I was assigning only 1 and 0, I only said my method was still simplistic.

Your method of assigning points on a scale from 1 to 10 works, as long as you apply it correctly (you either have unbalanced weights or you assigned a score of 4 instead of 1).
The correct way is:

i5: 10pt x 60% + 1pt x 10% + 1pt x 10%+ 1pt x 10%+ 1pt x 10%= 6.4

L920: 1pt x 60% + 10pt x 10%+ 10pt x 10%+ 10pt x 10%+ 10pt x 10%= 4.6

As you can see, i5 wins. Again, weights and scores will differ from user to user.
Since this topic is more appropriate for Math Central than WP Central, I call it quit.
Cheers.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
True, I did not specify I was assigning only 1 and 0, I only said my method was still simplistic.

Your method of assigning points on a scale from 1 to 10 works, as long as you apply it correctly (you either have unbalanced weights or you assigned a score of 4 instead of 1).
The correct way is:

i5: 10pt x 60% + 1pt x 10% + 1pt x 10%+ 1pt x 10%+ 1pt x 10%= 6.4

L920: 1pt x 60% + 10pt x 10%+ 10pt x 10%+ 10pt x 10%+ 10pt x 10%= 4.6

As you can see, i5 wins. Again, weights and scores will differ from user to user.
Since this topic is more appropriate for Math Central than WP Central, I call it quit.
Cheers.

Yeah sorry I set it up all wrong in that example, I was not calculating what I said I was in the text ;), but you get the point I was making either way.

Anyhow, the Lumia 920 is not terrible when it comes to daylight photography to be honest. It might not be as good as the iPhone 5 but it's still pretty good.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Amazing how well the 920 performs in motion. If you pause the video at certain moments you can really see how well details are preserved by the 920 during motion while the i5 and Nexus blur out pretty badly, could be a combination of OIS and the wider aperture allowing more light and faster framerate. Blacks are beautiful as well making the colors and details pop on the L920.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/DoomGiver1/vlcsnap-2013-01-09-16h24m11s244_zpse03877eb.png

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/DoomGiver1/vlcsnap-2013-01-09-15h36m38s156_zps6ad53701.png

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/DoomGiver1/vlcsnap-2013-01-09-16h17m42s218_zpsf22c6f8a.png

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/DoomGiver1/vlcsnap-2013-01-09-15h35m13s76_zps56d9a56d.png

Amazing. In each and every area Lumia 920 has outperformed iPhone 5 by big big margin, there is only one area left that is normal daylight. Imagine next formware upgrade which makes normal day light pics miles better than iPhone 5, it will be amazing

And no not a short term for Puerto rico
Sorry my intention was not to offend. We all live in IT / Tech world and in Tech world people have the habit of combining 2 letter words and make it short.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Just saying my 808 blows them all out of the water. Being the owner of both the 808 and NL920. - I'll say the softness in daylight isn't a deal breaker, because the night pictures rival just about everything below dslr. I have to work out the right settings and get a tripod out to compete with my 808. And as stated earlier. My 808 smokes the iPhone 5 and GS 3 cameras without even trying

Mannnn, I can't wait to get my hands on an 808. Hopefully the hardware is good enough to last until I get one off craigslist, a year or so from now ;-)

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
This is why the day light photo of Lumia 920 is not as sharp as iPhone 5, because Lumia 920 camera lens comes with F2.0 but iPhone 5 comes with F2.4
So iPhone 5 would be SLIGHTLY sharper

From this article:

Variable aperture?will it happen with mobile phones?

Aperture refers to the iris in the lens and how open (or closed) it can be when taking photos. When the iris is opened to the max, it results in a lower F-Stop, which on the Lumia 920 is a F2.0. The more open the iris, the more light it lets in, which is what we need for low-light photography. The downside is a lower F-stop results in a softer image with less sharpness.

Most ?real? cameras have this number as a variable ranging from F2.0 up to F16 or something in between and it automatically increase when you zoom in on your subject. High end DSLRs often shoot at F1.4, though those lenses are very expensive.

But when it comes to mobile phones, fixed apertures are the norm despite advantages of being able to manipulate that setting e.g. landscape shots in the middle of the day, where a higher F-stop gives you a sharper image. Like anything else though there are tradeoffs when it comes to mobile and so far Nokia does not see physical variable apertures happening anytime soon due issues with sharpness and other complications.

Source: Discussing cameras and the future of Windows Phone with Nokia

This below shot is not related to the topic, but I just want to show the F2.0 night shot compare to F2.4 on iPhone 5

2013_01_12_00_46_01.jpg

Aldiggi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357968884.827887.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357968915.851737.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357968942.202065.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357968998.285166.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357969022.168508.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357969044.718480.jpg
These are shots from the i5. Just for your eyes to compare. The 920 does hold its own in the camera phone ring.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I saw many threads here said iPhone 5 daylight photo is better than Lumia 920, in fact it's sharper, but it's SLIGHTLY sharper. Let's see if iPhone 5 got 10/10 points of daylight sharpened photo, Lumia 920 will get 9/10 points. But the important that, iPhone 5 does sharper only outdoor daylight photo, other than that Lumia 920 wins.

I don't know what the basis do people here use to compare both phones' cameras. For me, I am owning both Nokia Lumia 920 and iPhone 5. So my basis of comparing this two phones is my everyday of use. I can say that by hardware design and materials, Lumia 920 is better than iPhone 5, even it's bigger, thicker, and heavier, but it's still outshine the iPhone 5. Yes, iPhone 5 is made by elegance material like soiled alluminium, but the touch sensation of Poly-carbonate featured in Lumia is so much better. This is not included camera, wireless charge, NFC, bluetooth file transfer, HD+ Pureview with super sensitive touch display. So overall hard were Lumia 920 exeptional better than the iPhone 5. However, in term of the OS and Apps support, iPhone 5 wins without a comparison.

Come back to the camera and my everyday routines. Most people here said that more than 60% of photo they took in the middle of the day, daylight condition. I don't deny that, but let's think over, are all the 60% of the day photos are taken outdoor under the sunlight in the daylight condition? No right, as I mentioned above, iPhone 5 does better sharpened photo only outdoor, all the indoor photo is produce the same rank of Lumia 920, and in some indoor condition Lumia 920 does better, i.e. in your house, kitchen, bedroom, office, coffee shop, restaurant, subway, etc. So even in day time, you are still taking few photos under the sunlight daylight outdoor stuffs. That's is why I rated my Lumia 920 outshine my iPhone 5 in term of Hardware and Materials, and iPhone 5 is the king of OS and Apps.

These are some photos taken by Lumia 920

ejemepah.jpg

nasuja6e.jpg

usu9yqum.jpg

u7ynu5u8.jpg

da9yzy7u.jpg

a7a2evy4.jpg

WP_20121217_009.jpg

Original Skydrive files here:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=BB84D56722A6A4E7!1777&authkey=!AJ3S1dQd31bw4Cs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Napocensis

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I saw many threads here said iPhone 5 daylight photo is better than Lumia 920, in fact it's sharper, but it's SLIGHTLY sharper. Let's see if iPhone 5 got 10/10 points of daylight sharpened photo, Lumia 920 will get 9/10 points. But the important that, iPhone 5 does sharper only outdoor daylight photo, other than that Lumia 920 wins.

I don't know what the basis do people here use to compare both phones' cameras. For me, I am owning both Nokia Lumia 920 and iPhone 5. So my basis of comparing this two phones is my everyday of use. I can say that by hardware design and materials, Lumia 920 is better than iPhone 5, even it's bigger, thicker, and heavier, but it's still outshine the iPhone 5. Yes, iPhone 5 is made by elegance material like soiled alluminium, but the touch sensation of Poly-carbonate featured in Lumia is so much better. This is not included camera, wireless charge, NFC, bluetooth file transfer, HD+ Pureview with super sensitive touch display. So overall hard were Lumia 920 exeptional better than the iPhone 5. However, in term of the OS and Apps support, iPhone 5 wins without a comparison.

Come back to the camera and my everyday routines. Most people here said that more than 60% of photo they took in the middle of the day, daylight condition. I don't deny that, but let's think over, are all the 60% of the day photos are taken outdoor under the sunlight in the daylight condition? No right, as I mentioned above, iPhone 5 does better sharpened photo only outdoor, all the indoor photo is produce the same rank of Lumia 920, and in some indoor condition Lumia 920 does better, i.e. in your house, kitchen, bedroom, office, coffee shop, restaurant, subway, etc. So even in day time, you are still taking few photos under the sunlight daylight outdoor stuffs. That's is why I rated my Lumia 920 outshine my iPhone 5 in term of Hardware and Materials, and iPhone 5 is the king of OS and Apps.

These are some photos taken by Lumia 920

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/12/ejemepah.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/12/nasuja6e.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/12/usu9yqum.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/12/u7ynu5u8.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/12/da9yzy7u.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/12/a7a2evy4.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/12/y4e3ezuh.jpg

Original Skydrive files here:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=BB84D56722A6A4E7!1777&authkey=!AJ3S1dQd31bw4Cs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I totally agree that close-ups by L920 are great. And so are low light pictures.
I only checked few pages in the sticky “Pictures/videos taken with my L920” and almost all the pictures I saw were close-ups or low light. People just don’t have great daylight outdoor pictures with sharp images of objects with defined lines. Ocean waves and clouds may be pretty, but do not make good subjects for sharpness.

Your close-up pictures are excellent, other than the food which I do not feel like it :). However, I find the pictures with the balloons terrible. Sorry if I sound too harsh, but I can’t find anything sharp and clear in this picture: the leafs, the little gazebo to the right, the balloons and cables are all bleeding color and are blurry. Only the top-centre balloon looks good. I just don’t get why you would post this picture, it does not support your position…

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo