Why Windows Phone 8 is the best!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I honestly feel like with all it's shortcomings(and there are some obvious ones), windows phone is the best operating system out. I feel like goldilocks with the 3 bears....With the iphone, it is a good phone if you want tons of apps and are heavily into multimedia....Apple's ecosystem and their phones are great. While the experience is good, it quickly gets old...the OS just feels like it is stuck in 2007. There is not a lot of freedom to do a lot with it and you have limited choices if you don't like something to change it.

Android is an Operating system that is excellent for customization and the freedom to do whatever the heck you want with it. I love the fact I can go back to when i was younger and i can play emulators for gameboy or playstation. You have so much freedom as far as your mind allows you to go....you can make your phone better than what it was when you brought it. I love this....But with all the freedom, comes certain restrictions. If you want the best Android experience...you HAVE to get a Nexus phone(straight from google, not the carriers). You are sort of held hostage to carriers/manufacturers as to when or if you will get adequate support for your device.

And then I think of it this way...Why should i have to tinker, hack it, flash or do anything to my phone. I feel like if i have to waste the time to fix annoying issues that the manufacturer didn't take their time to perfect or to keep my phone up to date, why bother with the phone?

Which Brings me to Windows Phone....It's New...it's vastly different and unique and it has amazing potential that is being blocked partially by developer's not embracing it like the other 2 and add in the fact that there are some dumb people at microsoft not exploring the potential. Our app store is small....significantly compared to IOS/Android....Sometimes the apps we get that are on other platforms do not bring the same experience(Kik, Kakao, whatsapp, etc etc)...We don't have big name apps like Instagram or Pandora(which IS coming)...Even apps owned by Microsoft leave mixed experiences on Windows phone compared to IOS/Android(Skype).

So why is Windows phone the best operating system to me?
Because I Honestly feel like if you take away the apps stores from all 3....Windows Phone in it's native state is amazing.

Social Networking....it's integrated into the phone. I don' t have to download 3rd party apps to get the experience and thus expose my data to app developers. Granted, Microsoft's People hub is not perfect but at least it is built into the phone.

Microsoft Office...also integrated and integrated well into the phone. Yes, Android has their productivity type of apps similar to Microsoft but it is nowhere as good or embraced or supported in day to day life. Apple i am not too sure about, tbh.

But most importantly...the user experience....with Android, no one android is the same experience as another android....For example, I absolutely hate LG's android phones(or any phone from them) and the ugly UI they use. But i'll have a much better experience with say touchwiz or Don't call it blur or sense...but then there is Stock android which lacks the wow factors of the manufacturer skins and up until 4.0 was in my opinion THE WORST experience of android....Pre-4.0 stock Android was horrendous to me(I preferred Sense back then). And even if you have a phone with the latest operating system, the experience still isn't the same.

Iphones do have the same/similar experience across their devices since they only release 1 phone usually but the experience is so basic.....But windows phones have the same experience no matter what device you are using. I have noticed that even using lower end windows phones, the experience is still fluid and smooth because the OS is smooth as butter. Try using a phone like the Galaxy S3 or Droid DNA and then going to a phone such as the pantech marauder or Kyocera Hydro.....you'll see a vast difference. Even high end Android phones still suffer lag...if it's not stock.

I spent 3 years with android and many androids....I spent a day with the iphone(though my dad owns one so i still play with his iphone often and i am learning more about it)....I may get annoyed with certain things on WP and from what i understand they have existed since windows phone 7...but honestly windows phone is the best operating system and now after returning to android again, I am officially convinced of that.

I just wish developers would see that and at least bring their efforts over to our side and when they do bring the efforts...stop half-as*sing it and giving us mediocre experiences. Give us equal experiences.

Sorry, I just felt like typing this out :p

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
WP is a work in Progress.
IPhone is a work in Stagnation.
Android is a work in Fragmentation.
WP unconsciously wean you of the apps addiction the other platform users suffer from.

Sorry, I just felt like typing this out too ;)
Great post by the way :)

masterchief1984

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Dude you make a very good point. I really appreciate this post, because it just reminded me why I went to WP8. I was an iPhone user for the past 3 years and was leaning very heavily to go back. Developers are kicking WP8 to the side for IOS and Android. And not having the apps that they are getting access to like Instagram and the new game Ruzzle makes you feel left out. I don't understand when I hear that WP8 doesn't have opportunities hear when the stats speaks for themselves. 20 million sold worldwide since the release. Even if that is wrong I know its in the millions. So the opportunity of profits are here what's stopping developers from investing? Anyway thanks for the reassurance I'm going to ride the wave out and hopefully some of these developers will get their mind right and come aboard.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Dude you make a very good point. I really appreciate this post, because it just reminded me why I went to WP8. I was an iPhone user for the past 3 years and was leaning very heavily to go back. Developers are kicking WP8 to the side for IOS and Android. And not having the apps that they are getting access to like Instagram and the new game Ruzzle makes you feel left out. I don't understand when I hear that WP8 doesn't have opportunities hear when the stats speaks for themselves. 20 million sold worldwide since the release. Even if that is wrong I know its in the millions. So the opportunity of profits are here what's stopping developers from investing? Anyway thanks for the reassurance I'm going to ride the wave out and hopefully some of these developers will get their mind right and come aboard.

Same here :p
and thanks for replying!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
WP is a work in Progress.
IPhone is a work in Stagnation.
Android is a work in Fragmentation.
WP unconsciously wean you of the apps addiction the other platform users suffer from.

Sorry, I just felt like typing this out too ;)
Great post by the way :)

So very true! and thank you :)

RJ G

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
While i do agree that competition is great, and that windows phone 8 has alot of potential, i couldnt really say ''it is the best''... Not yet, not until it competes in all aspects with other OS.

I keep on reading quotes like these :''if you take away the apps''... well in my opinion if you take away the apps then youre stuck in 2007 when all you had was a device with a very limited use.

Im beginning to keep on eye on W8 and really hope they start something here, everybody has different needs, i dont really care about ''toy'' apps like instagram but there are other apps that are essential to my everyday needs that are simply not on the store or dont work as well as in other OS.

Till now, what i like of W8 is that i has a great social hub like Me and People, a well built device like the 920 and thats basically what i would say i am amussed by or atleast what i see that is better than other OS and devices.

Im not really impressed by live tiles, sure they are new, refreshing you could say, but i think they could get very old very fast, i would really like the option to change the background to a wallpaper of my choice instead of just black or white.

I honestly really hope W8 catches up with the competition, would really like to own a W8 device, but till things are improved i just simply cant. Personally i need apps, useful ones.

Good article by the way, just my 2cents.

PhotoAnt

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Generally, coming over from iOS(last 2 years) and Android(wife's phone) I agree with the views of OP.

However, I really feel that WP is really Work in Progress...coming from a position where the other two OS are so developed. MS with such huge resource and coming in so late, should have an OS that is up to par with the competition. I don't mean the apps, but stock applications are really behind the competition - and these are areas in which MS is supposedly good at; eg. search functions in SMS or calender, unusabilty of month view of calender, attaching documents directly from email, task switching etc.

I really do hope that these basic in-adequacies are addressed quickly ;)

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I just got my mrs an iphone5 and gotta say im kinda missing IOS. Yep app ain't everything but the app quality is really pathetic atm and when you read about BBC not supporting WP along with other big names it does get abit downhearted.

Live tiles are good but why cant we group apps in a folder as well and the live tile would be all the apps in that group flicking around. Now that would be pretty good as not everyone wants a massive list off apps and having to scroll down to the bottom.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
WHen i said take away apps, I don't mean to discount the app store...

But to me the apps are not apart of the native OS...Instagram is a benefit to both platforms(And a lack of instagram is a con for WP) but it isn't native to the OS. When i said take away the apps, I mean compare the 3 OS without their appstores...the user experience between the three. The out of box experience...

that's why it is the best(to me)

:)
Thanks for replying!

While i do agree that competition is great, and that windows phone 8 has alot of potential, i couldnt really say ''it is the best''... Not yet, not until it competes in all aspects with other OS.

I keep on reading quotes like these :''if you take away the apps''... well in my opinion if you take away the apps then youre stuck in 2007 when all you had was a device with a very limited use.

Im beginning to keep on eye on W8 and really hope they start something here, everybody has different needs, i dont really care about ''toy'' apps like instagram but there are other apps that are essential to my everyday needs that are simply not on the store or dont work as well as in other OS.

Till now, what i like of W8 is that i has a great social hub like Me and People, a well built device like the 920 and thats basically what i would say i am amussed by or atleast what i see that is better than other OS and devices.

Im not really impressed by live tiles, sure they are new, refreshing you could say, but i think they could get very old very fast, i would really like the option to change the background to a wallpaper of my choice instead of just black or white.

I honestly really hope W8 catches up with the competition, would really like to own a W8 device, but till things are improved i just simply cant. Personally i need apps, useful ones.

Good article by the way, just my 2cents.

RJ G

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I understand now, i actually replied at 4 in the morning so i kind of understood wrong. You have a point, and i think it just comes down to a personal prefference. Like another poster mentioned, i dont actually want a bunch of apps (live or dead tiles) just there thrown for me to scroll up and down. I want to have folders, choice for a wallpaper not only on the lockscreen, among other things. W8 indeed has some neat features and deserves alot of credit, but some basic user preferences need to be adressed ASAP.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am curious as to how folders would be properly implemented into the OS(Same with the notification center that so many people are crying for which i still think live tiles serve as that). I just hope should either of those happen in the future for Wp8, it doesn't become like IOS/Android.

I cringe at the thought of the top part of my phone(where the signal and battery icon are) becoming cluterred with notifications like on android.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Not folders...too much like iOS. What needs to happen though is in contacts and the app list for them to have on the side all the letters of the alphabet that you can push to get you to that specific section.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Not folders...too much like iOS. What needs to happen though is in contacts and the app list for them to have on the side all the letters of the alphabet that you can push to get you to that specific section.

I can already get to a specific letter by doing exactly what you said? Sine wp7 at least and wp8

RJ G

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
It dosent have to look to the ones in iOS, maybe a live tile with shortcuts or something. Im sure theres a way we could organize apps for them no to be all over the place.

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I dont really understand the developerrs even the windows phone apps are ported from other platform easier than before but why dont they do it? like they can port instagram and socialcam from iOS or Android easily. Damn the developers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Personally WP is the only OS I would imagine using at this time. I'm very aware of it's shortcomings and miss many features from fe. Symbian, but I don't really consider Symbian as a viable alternative anymore either.

The only contender for me personally might be the Sailfish/Meego-kinda stuff, but even then I dont like the basic fundament of "icons in rows". Live tiles are far nicer concept for me.

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I am using WP8, but I dont think it' the best. It is a matching OS for most life styles, you will find it easy and customized for your every day use. But some important features are missing, for example, Video and VOIP Call, you can only do Skype Video Call, other than that there is no (Tango, Wechat, Line, Viber, etc); you can't send and upload the existing videos in photo gallery to facebook, to youtube, to socialcam.
But I do believe that in the near future, WP8 will be outshined iOS and Android if the supports are good both from Microsoft Team and App Developers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

masterchief1984

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I stated earlier how much I love WP8 experience. But it does leave much to be desired. There are all these new apps and gadgets coming out for IOS and Android. It makes you want to leave and go back not for the OS but for the apps and extras that come with being a part if the big two. I want one of those smart watches so bad but I don't know if its compatible with WP8. Its like you take one step forward and two back with WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa